PDA

View Full Version : Sencha Touch performance: Xoom vs IPad

Simon.liu
6 Dec 2011, 8:08 AM
I really don't have much experience in mobile app development.. but now have to write one and deploy in multi-platform.. I have Xoom and IPad, so just use them to see performance of Sencha touch apps, using Kitchen Sink demo..

Sencha touch 2 says the performance in Android is much improved. However, based on this simple test, it is still to some extent behind IPAD...although I assume the performance is also related to specific device..

e.g., for Xoom:
in bottom tabs, if change each tab, the tab panel window will "draw" twice, i.e., show->hide->popup again, meanwhile, the icon of each tab button also experiences a 'icon->blank->icon' process.... same thing happens for nestedlist when click different non-leaf list item
also, for dogglefield, the white square background of the circle doggle button is also shown..

besides, the smoothness, speed are also somewhat not quite satisfying...i am using map for this test..

maybe it's just that Android is not as good as iOS...

mitchellsimoens
6 Dec 2011, 8:11 AM
I will say that my opinion is Android isn't as good as iOS no matter what device. I will also say that we are still in PR stages so things won't work 100%.

With all that said, we are trying to work around the fragmentation and any feature lacking of the different Android devices.

rdougan
6 Dec 2011, 9:53 AM
Support for Android 2.X has been much improved. Unfortunately, the Xoom (and Android 3) are fairly terrible devices, so we have no worked much on their performance as of yet. We will before GA though.

Simon.liu
6 Dec 2011, 10:16 AM
agree that Xoom is not that attractive. but certainly lots of users around...also used my Android phone test, seems better than Xoom in performance.. btw, what does GA mean?

rdougan
6 Dec 2011, 10:18 AM
General Availability - when Sencha Touch 2 is released to the public.