PDA

View Full Version : .40 final release ?

mimiz
10 Jan 2007, 1:13 AM
Hi,
yui-ext is a real plus to yui, congratulations jack !
i only want to know if the final .40 release will be downloadable soon ?

thanks

mimiz

brian.moeskau
10 Jan 2007, 12:24 PM
Jack doesn't generally try to predict when releases will be ready until they're pretty close. Right now, it's not "pretty close" -- at least several weeks I would guess at a minimum, and even then it probably will be one or two betas first.

wq7278
11 Jan 2007, 11:16 AM
this ext looks really cool . can I use it in my company's home page? thanks.

brian.moeskau
11 Jan 2007, 11:26 AM
Currently yui-ext is licensed the same way as Yahoo! UI, which is BSD. You can use it on your home page no problem. Here's a link to Yahoo's license (I believe the same terms apply to yui-ext):

http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt

tromanow
13 Jan 2007, 6:29 PM
I've asked this in another thread recently but received no response...where is it actually written that the yui-ext widgets are released under the BSD license, other than a couple forum postings? Supposedly there is a link of the home page (www.yui-ext.com), but I've found none.

I also have not found the license in the downloaded source. What I am looking for is some 'official' link or file that says "yui-ext is released under the BSD license.'

Anyone?

tryanDLS
13 Jan 2007, 6:47 PM
How about the file, conviently name license.txt in the zip file? It contains the following:

yui-ext
Copyright (c) 2006, Jack Slocum
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name yui-ext nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY
OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE,
EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

tromanow
13 Jan 2007, 6:56 PM
Well, I expected to find some sort of license file ...however, my zip does not have any such file! Perhaps this was a fluke in the version I downloaded? Seems odd. I have yui-ext.0.33-rc2.zip downloaded a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Just downloaded 0.33-rc3, and sure enough, there is a license.txt in the zip.

tryanDLS
13 Jan 2007, 7:01 PM
That's definitely outdated - the official .33 release has been available since at least 12/14.

d3ik
20 Jan 2007, 10:02 AM
Speaking of licensing, does anyone know the impact of serving a compressed (comments stripped, etc) file to users?

For instance, say I include Jack's awesome DOMQuery code in my library. I then post a project to Google Code with the full source (including copyright block at the top). The code is available, but what gets distributed to the client (the compressed code) doesn't have any mention of Jack's copyright.

Taking it a step further what if I don't post the code to Google Code? Would I have to serve the .js file with the license/copyright block at the top and compressed code below it?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

tryanDLS
20 Jan 2007, 10:14 AM
If you use jsmin to compress your code, it can to this automatically. It strips all the comments then adds a comment block at the top based on an additional parm you pass to jsmin. If you're using something else to compress that doesn't have this feature, then yes you'd have to manually add it back after you compress.