PDA

View Full Version : Start a new project on Sench Touch pre 2? Or start with 1.1.1?

noefr
9 Dec 2011, 9:52 AM
Hello,

I'm new with Sencha touch. Do you recommend to start a new project with the pre-version 2, or start with the 1.1.1?

A lot of blog posts is related to the version 1... How the version 2 is different to the version 1.1.1? It's a big step do upgrade an application 1.1.1 to 2?

Thanks

mitchellsimoens
9 Dec 2011, 10:37 AM
There are quite a bit of differences between Sencha Touch 1 and 2. Performance for Sencha Touch 2 is a lot better than Sencha Touch 1. The class system is a lot more mature and inline with Ext JS 4. MVC implementation in Sencha Touch 2 is (and once complete) will be far greater than Sencha Touch 1. So Sencha Touch 2 is a better framework. The bad part is we are only in developer preview stage so if you need to have an application done in the next month then it may be a wiser idea to stick with Sencha Touch 1. I personally have dropped Sencha Touch 1 for Sencha Touch 2 for my projects. Yes there are bugs but I either create overrides to fix the problem or work on some other piece. PR3 is due out soon and has a lot of bug fixes that are crucial compared to PR2.

estesbubba
9 Dec 2011, 11:40 AM
Like Mitchell said, if your project's deadline isn't in a month I would start with 2.0. In addition to what he said, learning 2.0 will give a big jump on Ext JS 4 if you're not already using it as the MVC and class system is very similar. I think many of the Ext JS 4 guides also are good for Touch 2 - MVC, classes, and theming using SASS.

noefr
9 Dec 2011, 11:34 PM
Ok, thanks for the responses!

So, I'll start with the pre 2. The project is for 2-3 month. Yet, it's just for a prototype.

There is some date/roadmap for the release of the version 2?

noefr
12 Dec 2011, 2:17 AM
I just try the pre 3 some hours... I really like the framework and how to create classes! It's a great framework!!!

Could someone to response to my question about the roadmap/dates?