PDA

View Full Version : .40 alpha code?

jason
14 Jan 2007, 5:41 PM
I was just reading about the upcoming .40 version that has some major changes and, like everyone, i'm sure we all want to get our teeth into it since we have code working on .33.

Forgive me for not knowing the release process, but is the .40 code in SVN? Or is this 100% on Jack's workstation, uncommitted. I'm just trying to wrap my head around when you say "release" the code are you talking a final distributable, or just that you'll be checking it into SVN.

The other thing is that the .40 code does seem avaialable at http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ - the fact that it is nicely zipped up for download, I guess I am just confused if this is here for us to try out or not?

Sorry for the mad rambling and thanks for any light you might want to shed on your process.

tryanDLS
14 Jan 2007, 6:25 PM
The latest .40 pre-alpha code is what is SVN. If you choose to develop with that code, you are free do so. However, support is going to be very limited. Stability is not guaranteed and the documentation is likely not up to date.

jason
14 Jan 2007, 6:35 PM
cool - thanks. that makes perfect sense. i just wasn't sure why i was seeing various posts about people wanting to get their hands on the code if it was already in svn.

brian.moeskau
14 Jan 2007, 9:36 PM
One additionanl note, Jack's process is not real "scientific" at the moment. He usually keeps all his working copy stuff locally until he's ready to commit something that's mostly in good shape to be used. Right now, for example, most of big the changes he's been discussing for .40 are not in SVN yet as it would break everyone. There's been talk of maybe moving to more of a nightly build type process, but that's really up to Jack to figure out how he wants it to work. Just letting you know that even though new stuff is discussed here, it may or may not be in SVN yet.

jason
14 Jan 2007, 10:16 PM
that's pretty understandable - it's good to keep things simple. might be good to use branching at some point. would make things easier & you've already got it in svn.