PDA

View Full Version : Android 4.0 ICS user experience

mishoboss
9 Jan 2012, 1:35 AM
I write a Sencha 2 app and I test it on Galaxy S with Android 2.3.4. It feels almost perfect. However this happened when tested on Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09bHYpoipk

I didn't expected this behavior from the most powerful phone on the market. Transitions look really awful, but the toggle/slider thumbs displacement when scrolling is even worse.

Somewhere I read that the flickering is probably due to a CPU to GPU passing for render. This seems to be a major problem that can't be controlled. Do you have ideas how to workaround this? I really hope Android 4.0 user experience will be at least as great as Android 2.3 before the Sencha 2.0 GA.

mitchellsimoens
9 Jan 2012, 6:17 AM
The flickering, for what we have found is the delay between (as you said) the CPU passing the transitions to the GPU. About the thumbs in the toggle field, this is a known issue and I think we have fixed it for the next release.

trinitrotoluen
9 Jan 2012, 6:31 AM
I'm facing the same problem too. After install ICS 4.0.3 on my Nexus S, my ST2 app performance becomes very bad, not responsive :-/

mishoboss
9 Jan 2012, 7:01 AM
The flickering, for what we have found is the delay between (as you said) the CPU passing the transitions to the GPU. About the thumbs in the toggle field, this is a known issue and I think we have fixed it for the next release.

Thank you for this reply. I'm happy the toggle thumb issue is resolved, but I'm a little bit worried about the flickering issue. If it's that you think it is, isn't it going to be a show-stopper?

mitchellsimoens
9 Jan 2012, 7:08 AM
There isn't really anything we can do, it's how Android handles CSS3 transitions.

mishoboss
9 Jan 2012, 7:27 AM
Unfortunately I suspected this answer. Is this issue only about CSS animations? If it is, maybe a temporary workaround for the app developers is not to use animations if the device OS is Android 3.0 or 4.0 (as far as I know same issue is presented on Android 3.0).