PDA

View Full Version : Run project

Materix
30 Jan 2012, 4:32 PM
Hi.

I am just checking out Sencha Designer 2 Beta. It looks awesome.

One question: How do I run (test) a project?

Thanks.

aconran
30 Jan 2012, 5:10 PM
Designer 2 has introduced the concept of a "working directory".

Each project has its own directory that it owns and will create the necessary files for it to run. Given you put this directory on in a web accessible location (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ or ~/Sites/ or wherever your web server is serving from), you will be able to load the designer.html file via http.

Designer 2 also includes a deploy feature much like Designer 1 did. Clicking Deploy on the top toolbar will copy all necessary files from your working directory into a target directory called a deploy path. To configure your deploy path. Open up Settings and it is the bottom option "Deploy Path".

I suggest putting your project directories in a web accessible location so that you don't have to constantly deploy your app in order to run it in a browser.

bseddon
31 Jan 2012, 5:45 PM
A 'run' option would be useful. Opening the app using the file protocol is going to be too restrictive so maybe, in the future, it will possible to create plug-ins. For example it would not be difficult to create a plug-in which saves the application and either:

Starts or activates an existing browser instance and refreshes the page; or
Initializes and starts a light-weight web browser such as nginx to serve the application (based on app settings) in much the same way as happens in Visual Studio or Eclipse.

With a plugin framework in place, maybe this type of functionality could be created by users.

aconran
31 Jan 2012, 6:10 PM
bseddon -

We were just discussing such a feature within the team. Stay posted for further details down the 2.x release cycle.