PDA

View Full Version : UI changes

CaliLuke
6 Feb 2012, 8:08 PM
This is a mockup showing a few of the ideas we're working on for Designer 2. We're thinking about moving the Project Inspector to the left of the UI and move the Toolbox to the right.

Keeping in mind that this is a work in progress and that some of the stuff you see might change, what do you think?

PranKe01
7 Feb 2012, 4:05 AM
I would prefer a customizable UI ;) For example I would align all three containers next to each other and not above each other (like the properties and project container do right now).

kveeiv
7 Feb 2012, 7:23 AM
I'm glad to see that even these little details are being looked at, as usual the Sencha team is hard at work to make our lives easier and it is greatly appreciated.

I like the project inspector to the left, it feels more consistent with the way that more default IDEs present project navigator.

The config inspector options on the bottom-right are directly related to what is selected in the project inspector though, so I think having those separated requires a little extra mental effort, or at least a little more effort for our poor tired eyes.

All that being said, dockable/floatable/(auto-)collapsible panels would be really nice for the layout of the panels.

CaliLuke
7 Feb 2012, 7:35 PM
All that being said, dockable/floatable/(auto-)collapsible panels would be really nice for the layout of the panels.

I agree, that's the endgame. The implementation of a robust dockable/floatable panels UI is in our roadmap, but it's not going to be included in our release because we have too many other details to take care of at the moment.

What we're trying to achieve is a set of sensible defaults to get by until we get to the real endgame (as you rightly say).

ssamayoa
8 Feb 2012, 6:40 PM
As someone already said, it is more "standard" as other IDEs does (eclipse, netbeans, Delphi).

Regards.

BostonMerlin
9 Feb 2012, 12:32 PM
Coming from a M$ Visual Studio 2010 background, inspectors (property editors) are on the right and the toolbox is on the left. You can't please everyone until you implement those dock-able panels. I vote to keep them where they are in the public beta as you've introduced many hundreds/thousands of devs to that way of working with the tool. Again, low priority stuff.

JB

Artistan
10 Feb 2012, 5:55 AM
I second the vote of leaving them as they are now.
That is what most Designer people are used to.
Though I do like the idea of all the panels being dockable on one side.

CaliLuke
10 Feb 2012, 7:36 AM
I second the vote of leaving them as they are now.
That is what most Designer people are used to.

With Designer 2 we are targeting a much wider audience, and we plan to on-board a significant number of new users. All decisions on usability will be taken considering the needs of both sides, and the future of the tool. Thank you for weighing in.

ErnestoR
15 Feb 2012, 2:28 PM
I like the project inspector to the left, it feels more consistent with the way that more default IDEs present project navigator.
+1 Project Inspector to the Left!!

mcarter@buxtonco.com
15 Feb 2012, 2:47 PM
Any chance we will be able to import or change colors for the text editor? I miss the dark background!

hotdp
17 Feb 2012, 12:21 AM
Any chance we will be able to import or change colors for the text editor? I miss the dark background!

I also don't like all that white. Its killing my eyes...
When editing code its very unclear white. When using it for 8 hours a day its not very good.

CFHMC
17 Feb 2012, 4:31 PM
Keep the UI as it currently is please. When creating a new project I live in the project Inspector and config panel. Having them close together reduces my spatial movements which saves me time.

Please please please change the text editor colors back! Using designer 2 all day with the white background is rough.

Thank you

MD
19 Feb 2012, 12:13 AM
+1 for swapping Project Inspector to the left and Toolbox to the right

marc.fearby
19 Feb 2012, 4:44 PM
I'm pretty happy the way things are, layout-wise. I'd much prefer some improvements are made to things like user-configurable preferences, such as code font name/size customisation, turning on/off that white line at 80 chars, making the Hide Inherited/Hide Unset Configs options a one-click process via tiny buttons right-aligned in the component config header, etc.

Having it remember which categories in the component config that I typically shrink so I don't see all their options would be awesome. I hate having to scroll through heaps of rows to find the ones I use 95% of the time. So, for combo boxes, for example, I'd love it if it remembered that I always shrink Ext.form.field.Trigger, Ext.AbstractComponent, Ext.util.Floating, and others that I hardly ever touch but have to scroll through. Regardless, I think that "displayField" and "valueField" really should be listed in the common group at the top of the component config for a combo box.

pdm
22 Feb 2012, 1:27 AM
personally I find the property inspector the most cramped and hardest to navigate. The Toolbox has it's collapsible category thing which breaks it down while I'm getting used to it, and the Project inspector only grows as I add to the project and remains pretty airy and uncluttered. But properties is a densely-packed myriad of mysteriously named and dangerously powerful interrelated widgets. The flyouts are a good start to quelling this terror, but it's the one I'd most like to make much bigger while I browse it.

markofsine
1 Mar 2012, 1:10 AM
Mainly as this is what we are now used to....

If you change it:
50% will not be happy because it changed. :((
25% will not be happy because it has not changed to the way they want it. :s
15% will not be happy because the tool panels are not dockable. 8-|
5% who were on the fence and it does not matter where they are. :-|
Leaving 5% that are mostly happy that it has changed... but it was not that bad to start with. :-/

But we definitely need dockable / hideable and floatable tool panels. Then people can customize to whatever they are comfortable with whether they have an eclipse or Visual Studio background.

Also, I would suggest this is of a lower priority and whoever is working on this can probably be utilized else where....

Sottilde
5 Mar 2012, 8:15 AM
I also don't like all that white. Its killing my eyes...
When editing code its very unclear white. When using it for 8 hours a day its not very good.

This is most important for me. The contrast appears to be even worse on Ubuntu but it's pretty bad on the Windows version too. We really need customizable colors for this application because the Snow theme just completely trashed the contrast in some areas, like the code view and the flyout menus.

petecis
7 Mar 2012, 8:55 PM
Would be nice to have the ability to choose the theme. I really dislike the snow theme. Something as simple as a choice between light or dark might be nice. Some, like Visual studio have a huge selection for customization, but takes me a long time to configure unless I remember to export my config from another machine. Having 2 or more "themes" to start with would be nice. Potentially more options later would be good too, but not nearly as high importance for me than being able to move away from a bright theme to a dark one.