PDA

View Full Version : lazy render gridpanel columns?

tewabit
9 Feb 2012, 11:21 AM
We have an application with grids - some of which can have quite a few columns (80+). We run into performance problems (especially in IE) with all the desired grid behavior - column filters, paging, sorting - when the number of columns grows this large.
We are only showing at most 15 columns at a time, but we do need the ability to show any of the 80+ on-the-fly.
Does anyone know of any optimizations, configs or plugins that allow lazy rendering of columns or other techniques that would help improve the performance for this case?

mitchellsimoens
9 Feb 2012, 1:19 PM
So now you want a buffered column grid no just a buffered row grid...

SebTardif
13 Jul 2012, 12:45 PM
The direct competitor of Ext JS, called SmartClient does lazy rendering of columns.

Grid are used in business application, and you can imagine that if each row is an object, and the columns are properties, an object having 30 properties is nothing special.

slemmon
13 Jul 2012, 9:49 PM
I know what you mean. We've got an app that was built quite a while back in ExtJS 2.2 and has sometimes 70+ columns. I started protyping a version in 4 and performance was a concern in Firefox and could get pretty bad in IE. I've been lobbying for the company to allow ChromeFrame, but no luck so far and the outlook isn't good. So, for now it's IE7 for half ~20k employees and IE8 for the rest (with a few having FF with a waiver from IT).

A lazy columns request doesn't sound far fetched to me.