PDA

View Full Version : Car List Example: .metadata folder under IIS7 (Win7)

HankFay
10 Feb 2012, 11:07 AM
This is probably because I improvised, by creating a virtual directory rather than creating the physical project directories under inetpub\wwwroot -- but everything was fine (I had to add the Json mime type of course) until I did a Save after adding the data stuff. That data stuff itself worked (the 5 records were there), but the Save of the project at that point failed, according to the error message, because the .metadata folder could not be accessed. Indeed, in IIS Manager when I right-click the .metadata folder and click Explore, it can't find it.

So, I went to IIS Manager, clicked on Edit Permissions, and discovered that .metadata was set to the root of c: The permissions seemed OK, if it's running under my login on the save, or if it's running under System.

I'll start the demo again under wwwroot\carstore just to check, but I thought I'd check in case it really should have worked.

thanks,

Hank Fay

aconran
10 Feb 2012, 12:03 PM
The .metadata directory resides in the project.

We have an internal discussion going on right now about renaming this to just metadata and not making it a hidden folder.

As to your IIS specific situation, I can't help with that.

HankFay
10 Feb 2012, 2:25 PM
Hi Aaron,

thanks for your reply. One reason to name it metadata instead of .metadata is that Win7, at least, won't let you create a directory starting with a period (.) from Windows Explorer. The one I had seen in IIS7 manager finally went away on its own (must have been a refresh issue), and so I ended up creating a directory and renaming it from the cmd window.

All is good now.

thanks,

Hank

Phil.Strong
11 Feb 2012, 10:41 AM
you don't need a .metadata folder to test/view your application in a browser. In other words you don't need to host that folder. Only Designer cares about it.