PDA

View Full Version : Designer 2 with PhoneGap

ipastine
24 Feb 2012, 1:46 AM
Is it possible to use Designer 2 generated files to create PhoneGap apps? I saw in another thread that Sencha SDK tools can be used to combine js files to avoid the dynamic loading that necessitates running the files from a web server (somehow, the sdk tools documentations is sparse). But is this all that is required? Has anybody had success using Designer for PhoneGap development?

And for the Sencha folks, is PhoneGap development something that you are planning on supporting in Designer, or are efforts to use it for this purpose asking for trouble down the line?
Thanks

aconran
24 Feb 2012, 8:54 AM
Yes, Designer generated apps should work fine within the PhoneGap container.

That being said, you're probably best off to go with our own native packaging.
http://www.sencha.com/blog/sencha-touch-2-rc-native-packaging/

ipastine
24 Feb 2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your help. You guys are moving so fast it's hard to keep up with what you've released! It's great to see the native packager on windows. But my app is storing tons of data, so guess I need access to the native file system. As I understand it the sencha api does not yet have this capability which leaves me with phonegap. But I'll keep watching. At the current rate you guys are moving at I expect to see it by Tuesday.

aconran
24 Feb 2012, 1:18 PM
haha ;)

pashute
30 May 2012, 5:52 AM
deleted after reading the "native packaging". You should call it native bridge API, along with the native packaging support, and it will be less confusing.

allisterf
30 May 2012, 8:38 AM
Has anyone ever done any comparison tests for app speed (especially at launch) and functionality between packaging the same thing with phonegap compared to tryng the sencha native packaging option - at least for IOS?

Would be interesting to get some feedback on it.

Allister