PDA

View Full Version : [INFOREQ] Empty Toolbox in Build 337

steveaxelrad
25 Mar 2012, 6:43 PM
Toolbox is completely empty whether placed or left or right side. Components are still available thru the overhead menu under "Edit: New Component" but nothing is available in the Toolbox. This error did not occur in the previous build. This iMac was running Snow Panther, so I upgraded to OSX (10.7.3 - Lion), which did not correct the problem.

A MacBook Pro running a version of Snow Leopard is not having this problem.

It may be specific to this one machine, but I have not found the source of the error.

steveaxelrad
25 Mar 2012, 9:47 PM
This folder was deleted from the library: ~/Library/Application Support/Sencha, Inc./Sencha Designer 2.0/

I am unable so far to get a new install to re-build this library folder.

kveeiv
26 Mar 2012, 6:17 AM
My toolbox is also empty now. I can use the same Edit menu workaround for the moment, but this is very crippling.

I am on the latest version of Lion.
I still have the Application Support folder.

I removed the xds-2.0.0.000337.ion file per the downgrade instructions in:
http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?185972-Upgraded-to-build-309-rendered-all-of-my-previous-projects-unusable.&p=750916&viewfull=1#post750916

This restored the contents of my toolbox, but my project would no longer save. There were no errors or feedback given in the UI, but the system console showed some 'undefined' is not an object on line 0 source Id: undefined messages, I presume because I had already upgraded this project to 337.

I allowed designer to upgrade again. The xds-2.0.0.000337.ion file is present as expected, but my toolbox is once again empty. My project will save again however (and of course, I'm using source control so I'm not afraid of losing anything).

The same incorrect toolbox behavior is exhibited when creating a new empty project from scratch.

kveeiv
26 Mar 2012, 6:33 AM
I can use the same Edit menu workaround for the moment, but this is very crippling.

This also doesn't work for adding basic functions to my controllers, so for now I am creating override classes and storing those functions there.

aconran
26 Mar 2012, 8:03 AM
Wow, if you remove the application support folder completely and reinstall does it work?

We are unable to reproduce this problem.

kveeiv
26 Mar 2012, 8:55 AM
Wow, if you remove the application support folder completely and reinstall does it work?

This worked for me. I didn't uninstall the app, I just moved the entire Application Support/Sencha, Inc./Sencha Designer 2.0 folder out of the way and let the app update to rebuild it. This added the 268 and 337 ion files, and gave me a fresh sqlite settings database. Maybe it was something in those settings that caused this? I will mail you an archive with the old and new versions, just in case its of any value for you. In any event, I'm good to go again, thanks for the suggestion.

aconran
26 Mar 2012, 9:00 AM
I have a feeling it has to do with the sqlite db. Please send it over and hopefully we can determine what the issue is.

Thanks,

steveaxelrad
26 Mar 2012, 1:46 PM

In my case, the Application support folder for Sencha was already deleted and cannot be rebuilt.

CasualGamer
26 Mar 2012, 2:00 PM
Same thing happened to me. After upgrading, whenever I try to open up my project, I get a window saying "An undexpected error occurred prior to upgrading. Please report this on the forums. Note your project is fine" This message appears for every xds file I try to open. It does not appear when I open the designer first and browse to a project.

After hitting close on that error, I find that the toolbox on the left is completely empty. I've uninstalled, rebooted and rerun the installer I used the first time. Help > About still tells me it's build 337, though everything is installed to a folder named "SenchaDesigner-2.0.0.000268".

Is there anything I can try to get the toolbar back?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.Strong
26 Mar 2012, 7:40 PM
Ok so know that there is a bug concerning windows only that affects users upgrading their projects. It could be that opening the project from the splash is a work around but this didn't work for me. I have a fix for the issue but I'm not sure when it will be pushed out.

I'm happy to convert any projects you guys would like so it's compatible with build 341 be them 1.2 extjs4 or any 2.x projects. Simply send me a PM and we'll work out email arrangements.

shivbhaw
29 Mar 2012, 10:37 AM
i dont know what to do , cause my mac doesnt have a ~/library/application support/sencha folder.
is this even normal?
any help at this point would help!

steveaxelrad
29 Mar 2012, 11:02 AM
I resolved the problem by reformatting the hard disk because nothing else worked. The machine had been around the block, so it was a good idea anyhow. Now, everything works great and I love Designer 2.

aconran
29 Mar 2012, 11:59 AM
I resolved the problem by reformatting the hard disk because nothing else worked. The machine had been around the block, so it was a good idea anyhow. Now, everything works great and I love Designer 2.

Now those are some drastic measures!

shivbhaw
16 Apr 2012, 11:13 AM
hey everyone,

i still cannot seem to view the toolbar, so am wondering if i should format my harddisk too?

thanks in advance!

aconran
16 Apr 2012, 1:54 PM
i still cannot seem to view the toolbar, so am wondering if i should format my harddisk too?

That approach seemed to work for the above user ;) No in all seriousness, do the following.

Uninstall the application. Delete the following directory:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sencha, Inc\Sencha Designer 2.0\

Windows Vista/7
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Sencha, Inc\Sencha Designer 2.0\

Linux
~/.local/share/data/Sencha, Inc./Sencha Designer 2.0/

Mac OS X
~/Library/Application Support/Sencha, Inc./Sencha Designer 2.0/

Reinstall the application.

Phil.Strong
16 Apr 2012, 5:26 PM

I love your LOVE for Designer 2 so much that your willing to reformat your HD. My smile is wide! Even if your machine did need it.

stevenbrent
8 Dec 2012, 9:08 AM
Uninstall the application. Delete the following directory:

Windows Vista/7
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Sencha, Inc\Sencha Designer 2.0\

Reinstall the application.

I encountered this issue on v 2.1 (build 676), Windows 7 64bit - though I didn't (and still don't) have the Sencha Designer folder there, uninstalling, blowing away the \AppData\Local\Sencha, Inc\ folder and reinstalling has made everything happy in Sencha land for the time being.

Phil.Strong
10 Dec 2012, 8:13 AM
the folder is now Sencha Architect 2.*

stevenbrent
10 Dec 2012, 10:18 AM
the folder is now Sencha Architect 2.*

Yep, thanks -- so deleting this, uninstalling and reinstalling worked -- The first time I opened Architect after reinstalling, that is. I built out an application just fine using the toolbox; closed and reopened Architect...BOOM! empty toolbar again. Now it is empty for existing applications as well as for new ones. The menu item 'New Component' is populated, though...weird, huh?

aconran
10 Dec 2012, 10:51 AM
That is really weird.

If you resize the app and/or toolbox does it appear? Initially I thought it had to do with corrupted data but could possibly be a bad layout/painting issue.

stevenbrent
10 Dec 2012, 11:57 AM
That is really weird.

If you resize the app and/or toolbox does it appear? Initially I thought it had to do with corrupted data but could possibly be a bad layout/painting issue.

Nope, still blank! I'll be happy to set up / send any diagnostic info, if applicable.

Thanks!

stevenbrent
11 Dec 2012, 5:24 PM
Here's a bit more troubleshooting info. Starting version: 2.10, build 670. Deleted the Sencha Architect 2.0 folder in my AppData\Local folder. Start up Architect, say no to the 676 update, log in with my ID, etc. Open exisiting project. Toolbox is nice and full. Create and save new project (without adding any components), close and restart Architect, Toolbox still good. Add some components to new project, repeat, Toolbox still OK.

So in my expert opinion, I have no idea what was causing the issue. Actually, that's not an opinion -- it's a fact! :D

I will let you know if the problem occurs again.

aconran
11 Dec 2012, 5:37 PM
I will let you know if the problem occurs again.

Thanks

stevenbrent
13 Dec 2012, 7:10 AM
Well, I created a new project today and the toolbox is empty again, not only for the new project but all of the existing ones.

stevenbrent
13 Dec 2012, 7:26 AM
Only fix seems to be blowing away the AppData Sencha folders...

aconran
13 Dec 2012, 11:28 AM
Next time it happens could you zip up the AppData folder and attach it here?

stevenbrent
14 Dec 2012, 5:38 AM
Next time it happens could you zip up the AppData folder and attach it here?

Too big to upload here, I have put it up on my FTP server and PM'd you with the connection info. Thanks SB

Phil.Strong
14 Dec 2012, 11:04 AM
Copy that directory and then remove all of the .ion files

This should bring down the size to something you can attach.

stevenbrent
14 Dec 2012, 11:35 AM
Copy that directory and then remove all of the .ion files

This should bring down the size to something you can attach.

Good point, Phil -- Aaron PM'd me, I think we are focusing on the localstorage file at this point, right? Which is interesting because even though he said he didn't find the one I uploaded to be corrupt, I did try just deleting that and restarting Architect, which restores the toolbox....

Phil.Strong
18 Dec 2012, 10:05 AM
Localstorage is correct.

Are you still seeing the issue?

When will it be safe to upgrade to build: 676

Loads of bug fixes are present in this build as compared to 337

stevenbrent
18 Dec 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm actually on 676 now - but I have been the whole time, as far as I know. The toolbox has so far survived multiple restarts / reboots in the past few days, so maybe whatever gremlins were living in my PC have moved on.....

aconran
18 Dec 2012, 11:51 AM
Ah the gremlins.

stevenbrent
21 Dec 2012, 7:31 AM
Ah the gremlins.