PDA

View Full Version : Yet another confusion about commercial licence

diractor
17 Apr 2012, 1:48 PM
Hallo there,

well there is quite some discussion going on about using Sencha for commercial products. As far as I understand the whole issue, there is no problem to build an application that for example deals with content that users would have to pay for.

But what about the source code of the application itself? I mean no matter what kind of licence I use to build my sencha-powered web app, users will always have the possibility to dive into the source code of the app and probably copy it, since it is plain JavaScript code that is delivered by the server to the client. So in the end of day, anything I code with the sencha library will be open source anyway, won't it?

Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

Comments and enlightenment are welcome.

mitchellsimoens
18 Apr 2012, 5:35 AM
Just because your code is open doesn't mean it's open source. If someone copies your code and the license on it prohibits that, you could take legal action against that person. Minifying and obfuscating your code (Sencha Command does this in the build) is the best way to protect your code.

edspencer
23 Apr 2012, 1:42 PM
Sencha Touch has a zero dollar commercial license - you can create applications and sell them without opening up your source code whatsoever. It's very permissive - about the only thing you can't do is sell or repackage the framework itself without an OEM license.