PDA

View Full Version : [FIXED] Cannot copy text from List itemTpl field

scottd
23 Apr 2012, 11:09 AM
Entering HTML into the List itemTpl field is difficult to do within the Architect. Copy/paste via right-click menu does not work.

This issue focuses on the fact that I cannot copy text using the right-click menu.

1) Drag a List view onto the screen
2) Click the itemTpl field
3) Note that all of the text is highlighted
4) Right-click to copy the text

What happens is that the itemTpl field loses focus and abandons its editing state. This is very annoying and completely broken.

Also, if I am halfway through the entry and click Enter to get a new line, the editor closes. Ctrl + Enter should allow me to insert a line break, but it does not work. Are we supposed to enter complex HTML into the template on a single line, with no opportunity for any formatting? This makes the itemTpl field much less useful than it could be.

aconran
23 Apr 2012, 8:35 PM
In a future release, you will be able to click a + next to all template configurations. This will add an additional node that allows you a fullscreen template editor. You will also be able to add additional functions to the template as member formatting functions.

scottd
24 Apr 2012, 9:16 AM
That will help. Thanks.

jjohnston
24 Apr 2012, 9:48 AM
The improvement that Aaron mentioned will definitely help for template editing. However you do point out a very real interaction bug with config editing in general, where bringing up the context menu takes focus away from the editor field and makes it disappear. I'm going to open a ticket to get this behavior fixed.

You might also be interested to know about the in-canvas template editor: select your List component, click its gear icon on the canvas, and click the "Edit Item Template" button. This gives you a larger editor that behaves better with the enter key. (It also has the same focus issue with the context menu however.)

scottd
24 Apr 2012, 3:09 PM
The problem is even more fundamental than that. ANY text field in the Config properties pane, when clicked, completely clears out its text. If I have three things there and just want to add a fourth, it's impossible. I can't copy the text, and I can't modify it inline, so I have to do everything from scratch every single time. Can you guys please put some effort into improving this situation? As it stands now, it makes the tool much less appealing.

jjohnston
24 Apr 2012, 3:15 PM
I don't see that behavior, clicking on configs that have a value display a text field with the original value intact and highlighted.

Are there particular configs where you're seeing different behavior?

aconran
24 Apr 2012, 3:32 PM
I'm assuming that Scott is speaking of the situation where the framework has a defaultValue that is embedded in the framework.

When you begin editing, you are working with an undefined value, and the default is going to be picked up by the framework unless you override the value.

scottd
24 Apr 2012, 4:44 PM
I'm on Windows 7, developing for Touch 2.0. Here's a very simple example. Let's say that I want to modify the contents of a text field. The two pictures below show the contents of 'title' before and after the click.

Maybe everything works great on a Mac, but I'm having a litany of problems with this tool and am considering abandoning it altogether before the trial period expires.

I've seen numerous issues today where I make a change in Designer, switch to Code, and there's nothing there. The code window is totally empty. If I switch resolution from iPad to iPhone, nothing resizes or repositions.

aconran
24 Apr 2012, 6:02 PM
scott -

This was not what i was expecting nor can I reproduce it on Windows 7. Is there anything special about this fieldset or project? Can you reliably reproduce it?

jjohnston
24 Apr 2012, 6:03 PM
Just a hunch: is this a linked component you're working with? If that's the case then the value it inherits from the master instance is treated as a default value, so it has the same behavior as a framework default where it clears the field when you start editing. Not an excuse, but perhaps an explanation.

I've opened a bug ticket for that as well.

scottd
25 Apr 2012, 9:11 AM
Yes, this particular item is in a linked component.