PDA

View Full Version : Data fields using convert that reference other fields on the record that have changed

FrankK
3 May 2012, 6:52 AM
I just ran into an issue where I use the data field.convert function to create a display_name for my list. It is a combination of 3 other fields on the record. As I saved the record back to my REST API, I was expecting the display name to automatically update itself because the 3 fields it references were changed. This wasn't the case.

I found that when using a REST API, you must return this display_name field (display_name: '') in the API return. If you are only referencing other fields on the record it doesn't matter what the return value is. It will run the convert function and use the new record data. If you do not return the field in your return, you will still be looking at the old display_name because ST only processed fields that are returned by the API.

Just wanted to post this so someone else doesn't have to troubleshoot it as much as I did.

mitchellsimoens
5 May 2012, 5:45 AM
The one field doesn't know about the 3 other fields you are using within the convert. If you want to change it, you should set it to empty text when you change the record. That will trigger the convert method.