http://pipes.yahoo.com/

Some of the UI feautres are awesome.

Thoughts?

BernardChhun
9 Feb 2007, 11:19 AM
yup I'm amazed as well :)

brian.moeskau
9 Feb 2007, 12:49 PM
It's pretty awesome, but amazingly sloooow. Not quite up to Slocum performance standards. :) But pretty nifty concept.

manugoel2003
9 Feb 2007, 9:57 PM
I dont think that the concept required such a hefty design..... that is a poor use of AJAX and Javascript.... they should have kept it simple and accessible than being Jazzy and showoff

jack.slocum
12 Feb 2007, 12:37 PM
As I posted on Ajaxian:

- A on graphic design and cool features - the site really looks great and definitely has the “Wow” effect. (Although I still don’t know what exactly it does :))
- C- on performance. As Rodrigo said, it is pretty slow (FF 2 Mac, 2GB RAM, 2GZ CoreDuo!).
- D on browser support. Using a cross-browser toolkit (YUI) and not supporting the most popular browser in use (IE6), is a major negative IMO. Also crashes Safari! :shock:

gfraser
12 Feb 2007, 2:53 PM
Yeah, the vector library definitely needs some work, as does performance. However I think the concept of "drawing" things (ie. dragging pipes between components) like this could lead to many interesting things in the coming years.

In terms of usability, I still haven't managed to make much sense of it - sure, you can drag lots of things on to the canvas and connect them with pipes, but I'm not sure it's the most intuitive UI for a feed aggregator.

That being said, there are many applications where this type of UI would be perfect - eg. being able to chain events or filters. For example, I can imagine a UI like that would be very much at home in an environment that makes heavy use of Enterprise Service Bus - eg. you could drop a listener on the bus and connect it to whatever process needs to deal with the data.