PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on commercial options.

PortraitPainter
11 Feb 2007, 3:10 AM
Jack it sounds as if the development of yui-ext has reached a critical point as you contemplate your economic future. Here are my thoughts after 25 years in commercial software development.

The idea of attracting small-meduim sized donations from commercial sources will be problematic. The social charity committees in large companies don’t sponsor software projects, however I guess scores of technical architects and software team leaders visit this site weekly and they would like to drop you $100 at their employer’s expense, as a good will gesture.

Previously in my career I have been given an annual budget for the purchase of software widgets simply because my execute manager found signing purchase orders for $300 to be an irritation. You need to offer a “premier incident support” product on the PayPal site that a junior IT manager can instruct the purchasing department to order. Offer this in $90, $200, $500 and $1000 increments.

Looking at yui-ext in general. I think you have a 12 month window to make it a powerful feature on the Web 2.0 landscape. I am not an expert JavaScript programmer but after sniffing the client-server interactions of some major commercial JavaScript frameworks, I suspect these have got stuck in a .aspx architectural hole with horrible amounts of view-state flowing up and down the wire.

I have just sent a personal PayPal donation of +$100 which rounds down to a 2 digit number in UK pounds (maybe SO won‘t notice), I hope this buys you a few more days think-time as you decide which development route yui-ext should take.

Bobafart
11 Feb 2007, 3:40 AM
somehow Dojo has scored corporate sponsorship from big companies like SUn.. don't know how they did it but they keep gloating about how great their corporate future is going to be

ilazarte
12 Feb 2007, 7:31 AM
somehow Dojo has scored corporate sponsorship from big companies like SUn.. don't know how they did it but they keep gloating about how great their corporate future is going to be

integration. Dojo was(is?) the Jotspot toolkit. However, I never used it because the widgets were always painfully slow. Being part of larger application gave it a bright future (plus being one of the first to attempt a larger JS api).

The problem is that Jack is a one man team, so any activity he might begin to pursue to get money out of this takes him away from coding! :D Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head though.

1. Write a book! - People want to learn, and they need to have it detailed, especially people who are learning JS from the ground up. Teach them JS, and how to leverage YUI-ext appropriately.

2. Hold a conference - This is probably an easier route, as the material you have to prepare is shorter, but might be difficulty if Jack is the only person.

3. Web Framework integration - Align with Spring or any of the other ultra popular Java frameworks as a fundamental web 2.0 View technology and then take part in their various monetizing activities. Examples include holding conferences, writing chapters in books. This would be an interesting exercise and prove very useful for those of us who actually are doing this already. For example, I've integrated Spring Webflow and YUI-ext Dialog in such a way that if JS is disabled, you execute along a normal request path, but if not, you have a very nice Dialog wizard :)

4. Tool Integration - Approach up and comers like Atlassian about integration and support. Confluence and JIRA are dynamic and visible applications, I would suspect as a smaller company they have the means and desire to try it out and see if it works for them.

5. Platform Integration - Approach Sun, or someone like Greg Murray (a member of the Servlet specification if I remember correctly) who is very interested in pushing Web 2.0. Rails "has" Prototype, maybe Java can "have" YUI-ext. Of course there isn't a real ownership, because the framework shouldn't preclude any other back end technology from using it, but maybe an extra layer (JSP tags!) could provide that integration for Java people. Greg's project JMaki sort of tries to build a JS front end, but it feels a little too mish-mash for me to take it seriously.

Can you tell I'm a Java guy? :)

jack.slocum
12 Feb 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the great feedback (and support). I had replied here, but I decided to split it into a different thread:

http://www.yui-ext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676

ric
12 Feb 2007, 12:00 PM
It sounds very fair. Ext will save us for heaps of expensive hours.

I can't wait to get my hands on Ext 1.0