PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers Needed: site designer, copy writer & evangeli

rgraff
12 Feb 2007, 2:23 PM
[UPDATED INFO]
We're going to hold a townhall style chat to further organize. The chat will be:

Wednesday, Feb. 14th @ Noon EST

We'll be hosting the chat inside campfire at this URL:
https://goldstarevents.campfirenow.com/17c33

The chatroom is already created, feel free to check it out between now and the meeting. Others might be in there too.
[/UPDATED INFO]

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to help Jack out by organizing some community support for the new Ext website. We need a website designer and copy writer to help put together the new site. This will be different than Jack's blog. Something like http://jquery.com/ or http://www.fckeditor.net/ would be great.

If you've got some time this week to help pull this together please reply here.

Jack thought he'd do all this himself, but the deadline for 1.0 is approaching quickly and I'd rather help out and have him work more on Ext. :)

Also looking for some evangelists that can help spread the word when Ext 1.0 is released. This means posting in appropriate proper places (not spamming!) and sending email to bloggers who might be interested in writing about Ext.

If you don't have time, but have some ideas for what would be helpful on the site let us know.

I'm just kicking this thread off for Jack who'll be back online tonight.

-Robert

jack.slocum
12 Feb 2007, 2:29 PM
Thanks Robert, this will be a big help! Whoever helps with the website of course gets a license. ;)

Bobafart
12 Feb 2007, 3:02 PM
I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I would really like to gear yui-ext to the low level Javascripter (ie. new to intermediate level JS scripters) since I believe this is a huge market for yui-ext adoption to help make yui-ext even more popular. I really believe in it as the best framework out there and feel there is a huge untapped market. So I would like to offer my services in providing beginner/entry level applied tutorials for the new site.

I would also like to help with the promotion side (evangalistic).

Some ideas for promotion:

1. news site link submission: digg, wikio, reddit, etc.
2. web design sites link submissions: ajaxian, alistapart, etc
3. frequently published tips/tutorials and live examples are needed on the new site to keep users "inspired" -- ("hey! Look what else I can do with yui-ext") most pieces of new content will be talked about in the blogosphere thereby increasing word of mouth traffic to the new site
4. customization of widgets for the non-programmer -- develop a web app that spits out "cut and paste" code for non-programmers to use basic yui-ext widgets on their blogs linking back to the yui-ext site
5. interviews (I realize Jack doesn't have a lot of time and shouldn't be the one doing the interviews, however a PR/spokesperson can be elected)
6. adding an off-topic forum adds to increased traffice to the site (non-yui-ext conversations)
7. adding comments to the wiki/tutorials/examples helps the user interactivity and learning a tonne (see http://www.php.net)
8. I am sure there are more strategies.. these are just a few off the top of my head.

brant
12 Feb 2007, 3:28 PM
How about an IRC channel for some live discussion on this topic?

INeedADip
12 Feb 2007, 3:29 PM
Let me know what you need.

Charles
12 Feb 2007, 4:13 PM
Has anyone spoken up for any of these task? If not, could whomever is coordinating this please contact me.

1. news site link submission: digg, wikio, reddit, etc.
2. web design sites link submissions: ajaxian, alistapart, etc

Personally, I would break these into three distinct initiatives:

a. Social Links - Digg, etc. Everyone has a part to play here.
b. Press/Bloggers - Ajaxian, etc. This would be closer to an old school press release in that it would have information and act as an invitation to check out the update. This would need to be much more of a formal effort.
c. Articles - ALA, etc. These wouldn't be about EXT, but would be articles that are useful to web designers and developers that use EXT as a framework. This should be a more long-term initiative -- quality matters here.

3. frequently published tips/tutorials and live examples are needed on the new site to keep users "inspired" -- ("hey! Look what else I can do with yui-ext") most pieces of new content will be talked about in the blogosphere thereby increasing word of mouth traffic to the new site

I'm thinking Wiki here (I haven't checked, where does that initiative stand?) Also, it would be interesting to have some semi-official blog (but not from the mouth of Jack) where multiple bloggers could contribute with weekly content of that sort. Maybe only 4 or 5 -- that would create variety but it would also mean that each blogger would only have to produce content monthly.

4. customization of widgets for the non-programmer -- develop a web app that spits out "cut and paste" code for non-programmers to use basic yui-ext widgets on their blogs linking back to the yui-ext site

This would be a more technical initiative and would be based on Jack's larger objectives for the project, I would expect.

5. interviews (I realize Jack doesn't have a lot of time and shouldn't be the one doing the interviews, however a PR/spokesperson can be elected)

Interviews are funny -- the value entirely depends on where the interview occurs. As for a PR push - I agree.

6. adding an off-topic forum adds to increased traffice to the site (non-yui-ext conversations)

I think the issue here would be the sense of community and what the objectives are. Having this be an all-business affair has likely kept flames to a minimum... but a healthy volume of flames mean a passionate membership. As long as it doesn't result in the conversation becoming toxic, I would think growing the EXT Community should be an objective.

7. adding comments to the wiki/tutorials/examples helps the user interactivity and learning a tonne (see http://www.php.net)

Again, would this be part of the Wiki initiative? Almost a Wiki listing of functions and methods (I assume that is the part of PHP.net you are referring to?)

Bobafart
12 Feb 2007, 4:47 PM
As an aside.. I think this conversation is getting a little too private for all viewers to read -- Jack may consider creating a "private" forum in the future only meant for certain members to discuss these kinds of issues in a private forum.

rgraff
12 Feb 2007, 5:59 PM
This is great. Let me figure out the best way to get some people in on open discussion. Does IRC work for people? Or does a private forum or mailing list seem better?

-Robert

JeffHowden
12 Feb 2007, 6:42 PM
IRC is nice if everyone that needs to be present can be there. It's great for getting things done quickly. However, I think something alittle more "permanent" needs to be in place as well for the more formal processes. I'm fine with that being either a forum or a mailing list.

jack.slocum
12 Feb 2007, 10:21 PM
This is great. Please include me if IRC does get set up.

Skeleton
12 Feb 2007, 11:22 PM
I second the IRC idea, on freenode for example.

dfenwick
13 Feb 2007, 12:10 AM
For the site, I'd prefer to see something similar to the http://qooxdoo.org site. Their documentation is via DokuWiki, and they have a decent following that helps support it. Their website is very well laid out and conducive to getting started, advancing, and getting the information you need about the library both from an implementer's perspective and from a developer extending their library perspective.

HarryC
13 Feb 2007, 3:07 AM
It's not my place to say as I'm a fairly new and casual (albeit enthusiastic) user of YUI-EXT, but if you feel the ideas that you are posting here are too much for everyday forum users why don't you just create a private section in the forum? It seems unnecessary to use IRC or some other method when you are all already on the forum. I'm sure it'd take Jack a couple of minutes to set up a "moderator only" section and bump up the permissions of the users that need to see that forum.

That aside I think it's fine to keep this public. It's good to keep these things open and make people feel personally involved in the project. One of the reasons for the success of Mozilla is the way they embraced their user base. But I guess plenty of discussion was kept private there.

Anyway, you are coming up with some wonderful ideas and I wish YUI-EXT every success. I don't have much time, but I would hope to help where possible. I plan to use yui-ext for a few different projects, so perhaps a "user showcase" section where different people can have their designs using YUI-EXT displayed or written about in a blog would be a good method of publicity?

jon.whitcraft
13 Feb 2007, 4:29 AM
I'd love to help code up some examples or some php if needed as that is where my strengths are. I can also donate some webspace to the Ext project if it's needed.

Just hit me up if you need any help of that sorts.

Jon

Animal
13 Feb 2007, 5:04 AM
I can help with some documentation, examples etc.

Webnet
13 Feb 2007, 5:36 AM
I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

I'm experienced with PHP, can handle html/css work, but primarily my expertise is on site contents.

rtannert2
13 Feb 2007, 5:55 AM
I'll also be glad to help with documentation and perhaps with examples. The initial rollout may need fewer contributors to keep the quality and style consistent, so if necessary I'll sit back until I'm needed. Like Bobafart I'm interested in seeing help for less-expert JS developers, since developers in my company are typically much stronger in other skillsets (e.g., SAP development) than in JS and will need help, so I'd like to get involved in that effort as it grows.

rossini
13 Feb 2007, 6:09 AM
In the company that I´m working on, we are developing a solution combining DWR (Ajax), Stripes (Web Framework like Struts) and YUI-EXT as the default visualization tookit. Maybe we could provide some hints or tutorials or howtos on integrating java with yui-ext.

We are from Brazil and we realize that the license price is nice (if you look to BackBase wich is an amazing tool, the prices are U$8000 per CPU, for us that is TOO expensive), but I´m not so sure my employees will be willing to pay the money. It would be very nice to obtain a license from the software if we provide some content for your website because we are not sure if we are publishing our "framework" in Open Source yet.

Thanks anyway Jack, to your really nice work.

griffiti93
13 Feb 2007, 9:29 AM
I'm up for evangelizing Ext! Let me know what I can do.

Jonathan G.

rgraff
13 Feb 2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the response! We're going to hold a townhall style chat to further organize. The chat will be:

Wednesday, Feb. 14th @ Noon EST

To keep it simple and because neither Jack or I have IRC clients currently installed (yes, I am ashamed), we'll be hosting the chat inside campfire at this URL:

https://goldstarevents.campfirenow.com/17c33

The chatroom is already created, feel free to check it out between now and the meeting. Others might be in there too.

Topics of the meeting:
* What are the areas where we can help: website, tutorials, evangelism. Fundraising? and ???
* Assigning people into groups based on the areas we decide
* What method will we use to organize, basecamp, forums, mailing list, wiki or allowing each group to do it there own way.

There's a lot we could discuss, so I'll try to keep it on the bigger topics. Hopefully, it'll just take an hour.

-Robert

aconran
13 Feb 2007, 11:23 AM
I am already in the process of writing some simple examples on the UpdateManager class. I'd also like to start to blog about the stuff that can be done with Ext.

I plan to attend the community meeting tomorrow.

jon.whitcraft
13 Feb 2007, 12:59 PM
I would love to attend the meeting but I'll be at work. is there anyway to have people who can not attend the meeting have some sort of input.

I would love to help on the website for Ext.

Jon

maurits
13 Feb 2007, 3:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I am rather new here, yet this post definitely inspired me to respond. I would very much like to contribute to Jack's great work and help in creating a design for the new web site. I can help in creating something fresh a-la "Web 2.0" like http://www.rubyonrails.org/ and http://www.pradosoft.com/ , or something more conservative.

I'm just a $1000-a-job freelancer, but that also means I am able to make the time to do this.

Of course I will be happy to work with someone else.

I understand that you guys don't know me yet, but I'm just saying I would love to make the contribution so if you're interested please let me know. I am afraid that I can't join in on the chat, so is there any other way to contribute? Could you keep us updated by means of this thread?

Kind regards,
Maurits

mnugter
14 Feb 2007, 1:20 AM
Ever since this thread was started I have been thinking about a way to contribute to the Ext project. I realize I'm also new to the forum here but I have been following Ext for a while now. Also I expect to stick with Ext for a long while since it's perfect for the plans I have at work.

The issue has been raised before, the examples that are currently available in the documentation are limited. They don't even begin to show to power of the Ext library. I struggle myself to find out all the features that are offered in Ext and every day I'm more amazed by it's capabilities. So I started thinking, what about creating a huge example, covering almost all aspects of the library. Create a fully functional website and a web-application to manage this website. I'm think the subject of this website should be as simple as possible while still being able to use the library to the fullest, a webshop for example. If the web shop is well documented and well written it can serve as an example for programmers AND, more importantly, serve as a showcase to show to your boss while convincing him to buy Ext.

Of course, I wouldn't have posted this unless I was willing to create this example :) I'm more than happy to contribute to the project. I have been searching for a project to learn the more advanced aspects of Javascript and I think this is perfect. I'm experienced with php (certified and lead-programmer of a 600.00 unique visitors a month website) but my Javascript still needs improvement.

My plan for the administration is something like this. The layout with borderlayout of course. Use a grid to display the articles. A click views information on the article in a panel in the border-layout. Via the contextmenu you can open a basicdialog to edit the article. The dialog contains multiple tabs. One with all the info on the article and one with the possibility to add photos.

On the website you can view all the articles (grid?), open the details (basicdialog: info displayed and slider for the photos). Possibility to add the articles to the shoppinh cart. When viewing the cart you can edit the amount of articles in the grid using the inline editing feature. When checking out you have to supply your personal information (calendar can be used for birthday input) and submit. I record will be inserted into the database but the user will kindly be informed that he won't be billed and that none of the articles will ever reach the supplied address :) It should be possible in the administrative application to view all orders and `process` them. Again we can use the inline editing to update the status of the orders.

As for the serverside programming that is needed for this example I'd like to use php. Since I am experienced in php and because it's an easily understandable language I think it's a good choice. My goal will be then to oversimplify to php-part so non-php programmers can easily understand the code (I don't want to confuse everyone with this part since it's not what were trying to get across here :) ). As for the database, the only database that I have experience with is MySQL.

My plan for this is for me to set up the initial example and make it a collaborative project from there on. Of course the whole idea needs some work and creating it will be a lot of work but I genuinely believe this would add a lot of value to Ext.

I'd really like some feedback and insights on the idea.

lesh
14 Feb 2007, 2:36 AM
I'm also be happy to help the project with documentation and examples. Also I could take part in coding of website's serverside (PHP, Java) or clientside.