PDA

View Full Version : Real device performance comparison iPad 1 vs Galaxy Tab 2

MaciejZabielski
18 Jul 2012, 2:09 PM
I have purchased both devices for tests, and I'm greatly disappointed by Galaxy Tab 2 performance in general. So maybe I should not be disappointed, that Sencha does not work on it as well? Everything is glitching on it, from e-mail to regular websites.

For thouse interested, I have recorded a basic video of Kitchensink demo on both devices side by side.
The most noticable is reaction delay and lack of smooth transition in GT2 as opposed to iPad that works like a charm. It's also worth mentioning, that GT2 is dual core and iPad single core.

That brings me to a question - is Sencha Touch cross platform framework, when it works on iOS only?
Basically it works like crap on my Sony Xperia S dual core (highest pixel density HD screen on earth ;) as well, but not as bad as on GT2.

Have a look and share your thoughts:
http://youtu.be/c57TSFt9g24?hd=1

MaciejZabielski
19 Jul 2012, 1:50 AM
Hi, I'm dissapointed by the general performance of Galaxy Tab 2, so maybe I should not be when it comes to Sencha Touch 2. I have recorded a video of thouse two devices side by side. It shows that iPad, being single core device, can handle ST2 really good. On the other hand, GT2, dual core, with google chrome, is basically useless. No smoth scrolling, no transitions (slide etc), slow reaction.

So, is ST2 actually a cross platform solution? As far as I see it, it works only on iPad safari browser.
Now I have an app, that is "so so" on iPad, lacks native features, and is a total mess on GT2/Android.
So I would be better off going native on iPad, at least I would have one app that works well.

What is your experience and thoughts about that? Kitchen Sink is "certified" to work on iOS and Android tabs. As you can clearly see, it doesn't.

Have I missed something here?
Video link:
http://youtu.be/c57TSFt9g24?hd=1

jerome76
19 Jul 2012, 4:33 AM
I have also experienced the same performance issues on the Motorola Xoom vs iPad. The difference is clear and the Xoom fails to match the performance. I'm glad this occurs on other devices as well that are not produced by Apple so it can give me a better idea of how to format my applications to be more universal. On the Galaxy and Sony, which browser app were you using to run the kitchen sink demo?

Edit: Seems like you have two threads on this.

MaciejZabielski
19 Jul 2012, 4:51 AM
Yes, you are right about the duplicate posts. For some reason this one did not show up for the entire day (not in search, not in "my posts", not in the forum directly) so I was sure that the post got "lost" somwhere and added it again. Now I can see both as well.... unfortunatelly some smart people don't allow you to delete or move your own posts.

Getting back to the topic, on Sony I have used "default" browser. On Galaxy I have used Google Chrome and default browser. Both have huge performance problems (I heard that Chrome should be better but thats only to when it comes to functionality).
My application will not work at all on default browser, and will work with performance problems on Chrome. I havent got time yet to package the app for Android - will it use the sam engine as default berowser, or rather closer to Chrome?

If you take a look at the "propaganda" movies from Sencha, they basically use Apple everywhere for the demo, only a few time you can see Android but nothing moves there ;)

mitchellsimoens
20 Jul 2012, 5:56 AM
Edit: Seems like you have two threads on this.

Merged the two threads.

Android will not be as fast as iOS. Chrome for Android is gaining ground but iOS still wins IMO. Testing my Nexus 7 and it is finally showing some huge gains in functionality and speed, looking good for Android finally.

suzuki1100nz
21 Jul 2012, 1:01 PM
Hi,
We have just started testing on some physical devices and have an ipad3,1,2 and an Assus Transformer prime T300.
The ipads perform well, particularly animations. Very smooth and functional.
The android is functional but still clunky, particularly animations. The application performs noticeably better on the android device using chrome when compared to the native browser.
However the android device is usable and the application does work. Performance issues are largely to do with the browser and the device OS which hasn't caught up with IOS - but it will.

Sencha is cross platform and does work on android, you cant label the product due to device, browser issues.

Your video shows it working.
I am no particular fan of android or IOS and there is a wealth of religious blog posts regarding android vs IOS

MaciejZabielski
30 Jul 2012, 1:32 AM
It depends what is your definition of "works". Mine would be - it has all the functionality AND performance that makes it usable. When the performance gets to the point where users get annoyed and confused, for me it is a problem. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a blind Apple/iOS fan, but having those two devices, I had much better experience with iOS, even on a hardware that has lower specs. And that's not only when it comes to browser apps. Anyway, my intention was not to start another iOS vs Android battle, rather finding other users opinion if Sencha Touch is truly cross platform, as I only have two devices to compare.

In one of the "performance" threads, jbondc (http://www.sencha.com/forum/member.php?9218-jbondc) found an interesting problem with "
translate3d" which he claims is only supported by iOS, not Android.
(thread link (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?215412-Android-4-list-is-performing-worse-in-ST2-then-ST1-(slow-scroll)&p=863038&viewfull=1#post863038))

emprize
31 Jul 2012, 7:37 PM
Merged the two threads.

Android will not be as fast as iOS. Chrome for Android is gaining ground but iOS still wins IMO. Testing my Nexus 7 and it is finally showing some huge gains in functionality and speed, looking good for Android finally.
is it due to jellybean or coz the Nexus 7 use the quad core cpu? im using galaxy note with cm10, which is base on jellybean, but when i change tab and scroll in tabpanel, still feel the lag.

p.s. using simple tab panel with list inside by sencha touch 2.1.0 beta

mitchellsimoens
1 Aug 2012, 4:47 AM
is it due to jellybean or coz the Nexus 7 use the quad core cpu? im using galaxy note with cm10, which is base on jellybean, but when i change tab and scroll in tabpanel, still feel the lag.

p.s. using simple tab panel with list inside by sencha touch 2.1.0 beta

I would say it's both the cpu and Chrome. Lot of powerful devices out there but they aren't using Chrome. If the Nexus 7 didn't have Chrome the CPU wouldn't really matter as the old native browser sucks. But if an underpowered device has Chrome things will be choppy, will likely line up correctly but animations will be very choppy.