jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 5:56 AM
Is almost ready. Did you expect a link? ;) hehe

--
Edit
Ok, it's ready here's the link:

http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1.0-alpha1.zip

A couple notes:

- After 5 minutes of trying to deploy this alpha- you will curse me. A lot has changed and your code is going to break. The reason you will curse me is because you will have no clue what has changed and why it's broken.

- Every css class name has changed.

- Every class in the grid package has changed.

- Toolbars will all break.

- There are lots of new classes - but no new documentation. wtf?

- Some examples haven't been updated yet.

In the end though, it will be all worth it. I promise. :)

----

The reason for these warnings - if you dont know what you are doing and don't know how to read the code, I recommend waiting until a later release until the documentation is updated and an upgrade document is created.

Speaking of that, if you want to keep upgrade notes of what you had to change to make it work and email that to me I WILL FOREVER BE GRATEFUL! I took notes of changes, but I'm sure there are some that I missed.

SVN, trac and the new site will be up soon. I purchased SVN and Trac hosting (yes there will be a real bug tracker).

Oh yeah, don't forget to donate! ;)

Edit 2
Check out the new example: Cross domain grid loading through script tags (it's in the download)

http://yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1.0-alpha1/examples/grid/paging.html

Menus:

http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1.0-alpha1/examples/menu/menus.html

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 5:58 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OF COURSE MAAAAAN!!! hahaha :)

Animal
19 Feb 2007, 5:59 AM
Omnes: YES!

Micha
19 Feb 2007, 6:00 AM
Go..Go..Go..Go..Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:01 AM
gogogo jack!! ;)

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:01 AM
rofl - how could it get 52 view in 30 seconds? ;)

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:02 AM
hehe i think maybe the people except something from you... :-p

bone
19 Feb 2007, 6:02 AM
i wonder how the webstats will look today.....

Bobafart
19 Feb 2007, 6:03 AM
Congratulations Jack!

This marks a huge milestone in the risk and sacrifice you have taken to provide this library.

Congratulations once again.. people like you are redefining the internet experience.

Keep it coming. I can't wait for more releases to come as the package matures with your elegant and experienced coding practices.

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:05 AM
Thanks Bobafart. After this release I plan to go back to the old way of more frequent releases and SVN commits. :)

Bobafart
19 Feb 2007, 6:06 AM
wow.. is this thread ever moving fast! ha!

impending server crash from all the traffic?

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:08 AM
Jack you are the man! Thanks a lot for your hard work, for your comprehension with the noob-users (like me) and for your ambition to do something like this for the whole world.. THANK YOU A LOT JACK!

HarryC
19 Feb 2007, 6:09 AM
You tease. Post the link already...

mnugter
19 Feb 2007, 6:10 AM
You are a master of suspense :)

bullrico
It's 10 pm here in the Philippines, Jack, and I'm still clicking "refresh" every few seconds.

Bobby

humpdi
harry, let jack savour this special moment!

lumar
19 Feb 2007, 6:15 AM
Everyone (including myself) is awaiting like little kids on Christmas day :D

I have to tell you that I've been following your work since last summer and really believe that you have something awesome going on here. I work for Motorola and I'm in the process of evaluating different JS toolkits/frameworks for a project I am working on. After evaluating a few commerical "AJAX" libraries (backbase, tibco, ...) I have decided to wait for Ext 1.0-- both the quality of your code and the look n feel of you widgets is outstanding and IMO soon to be commerical grade :wink:

Once Ext 1.0 Alpha is out I will need to spend some time with it and hopefully work something out with you for a possible commercial license. In the meantime, I think I will need to go with a single developer license and get this ball rolling...

Micha
19 Feb 2007, 6:20 AM
oh my nervs.... :oops:

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:23 AM
Wow 500 views in about 2 min, that has to be a record.

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:24 AM
http://www.nevosoft.com/screenshots/firework-3d-screensaver_4.jpg

haibijon
19 Feb 2007, 6:24 AM
Thanks jack! :lol:

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:25 AM
LOL humpdi - that is great!

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:27 AM
YOU are great jack! Congratulations!

Animal
19 Feb 2007, 6:27 AM
Me! I got it first! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:31 AM
Thanks guys - I am both excited and nervous - this is a big release and a lot of work went into it. It's nice to finally be able to share it with everyone. Please give me feedback. Thank you!

dewd
19 Feb 2007, 6:35 AM
Thanks Jack!

I promise that if YUI-ext proves to be useful to me, I will share the success and money with you. :-)

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 6:39 AM
jack, ive just have a look at the examples right now.. and , they look excellent!!! especially the message boxes, damn thats something im lookin for for years.. its so easy, it looks so cool, jack your the man, thanks a lot for hard work!

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:41 AM
I forgot to note some examples still havent been updated (feed viewer). There is going to be a "Feed Viewer 3.0" in the new release so I haven't touched it yet.

The Form and Menu examples are lame and havent been completed. There just wasn't enough time. :(

Webnet
19 Feb 2007, 6:42 AM
OMG 1.0!!

Tlvenn
19 Feb 2007, 6:44 AM
Hi Jack, thanks for the release !

I noticed few issues with the shipped doc (missing Ext.dd.Registry entry for instance), is there a place to report those issues ?

Thanks.

BernardChhun
19 Feb 2007, 6:46 AM
I don't know if what I'm doing would be called dancing...but I'm doing it frenetically! :shock: :D

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 6:47 AM
Tlvenn, as noted the docs haven't be updated. That was one of the key reasons for terming it "Alpha" instead of beta. So for now, missing docs is the norm so no report is necessary. It will be corrected in a later release. Thanks!

Bobafart
19 Feb 2007, 6:54 AM
look at these styles! beautiful!

http://gabbr.com/sandbox/yui-ext/ext-1.0-alpha1/examples/dialog/msg-box.html

lwj
19 Feb 2007, 7:05 AM
Great job, Jack.

Thank you!

simeon
19 Feb 2007, 7:13 AM
Unbelievably cool!

I awoke at 5:30 am without an alarm for the first time in 20 years, and at first I didn't know why.
After the espresso finally took hold, I remembered... Yeah it's monday!
:-)
When was the last time you felt that way?
Jack, you are absolutely amazing! Thanks you for all of your hard work.
I have been pulling my hair out since the late 90's doing web design and development.
I still have netscape 4.0 flashbacks, and the therapy hasn't helped.

For the first time in a very very long time, doing cross browser web applications is fun again.

I have already requested (and gotten approved) money from my boss to purchase a premium support license or whatever it takes to keep your wife happy. :-)

Please let me/us know when the details for that support approach are ready.

It's a very exciting day for everyone here!

Thx,
Simeon

seno
19 Feb 2007, 7:17 AM
cool! Congratulations Jack!
thank you

Webnet
19 Feb 2007, 7:23 AM
Shouldn't this be a blog post? ^_^

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 7:24 AM
Thank you guys!

Simeon, that is really great to hear. I am pretty excited myself, I just wish I could have gotten all the examples fixed in time! I will let you know as soon as everything is set up.

mnugter
19 Feb 2007, 7:29 AM
You have every right to be exited :) It all just looks amazing, I'm speechless. (though I can still type :)).

The Ext website looks very nice btw (an `easter egg` in the source :))

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 7:34 AM
Brian and Jon have been working hard on it. We are hoping to have a launch as soon as we can fill in the blanks. :)

Bobafart
19 Feb 2007, 7:35 AM

Easter egg? please elaborate.

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 7:36 AM
It's still supposed to be private !

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 7:40 AM
looks very good the new website, just the pics an the hp are loading a bit slow.. but the look-and-feel s excelent! thank you all for the hard work!

lstroud
19 Feb 2007, 7:41 AM
THis is awesome. Thank you for all of the hard work.

BTW, did you look at JIRA for bug tracking. It is free for open source and I found it had superior release management stuff to Trak.

orhant
19 Feb 2007, 7:47 AM
You are great man Jack! Congratulations.

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 7:47 AM
I definitely preferred JIRA to trac but I could get SVN + Trac hosting (full set up and backups) and I couldn't find the same for Subversion + JIRA anywhere.

mnugter
19 Feb 2007, 7:52 AM

Easter egg? please elaborate.

I was refering to the url in the comments :)

Sorry Jack :) You shouldn't have left clues, I couldn't help myself from digging through your source code :)

KimH
19 Feb 2007, 7:56 AM
Jack this is the greatest day of all! Ehhh... but I know that when "1.0 final" is release I bet everyone in here will name that day "Jack Slocum" day :-)

vk_phoenixfr
19 Feb 2007, 7:56 AM
Thanks Jack, Thanks so much ;)

wq7278
19 Feb 2007, 8:21 AM
This is too cool, I can not wait to use it in my webpage. :D

Animal
19 Feb 2007, 8:23 AM
When are you going to announce it on ydn-javascript? Someone already asked about it.

reignman
19 Feb 2007, 8:24 AM
Jack you're the best...

and one hour after damning you to hell for that many changes: I LOVE IT...
I've got almost everthing working in Ext 1.0 but I've found some bugs and I don't think they are result of my code :)

sooooooo...
where is the best place for posting bugs on alpha v1 ?
I 'd appreciate to help as I can to find bugs to get this release stable as fast as possible...

so still love you since new release... :P

humpdi
19 Feb 2007, 8:27 AM
at animal:

somebody allready posted a message there...

Someone on the YUI-EXT forums had told me a MAJOR release was coming today?
Has anyone heard anything about this?

Belgabor
19 Feb 2007, 9:05 AM
First a big "Thank you!" :D

Second a small suggestion for your grid example as this gave me a bit of a headache.

You use

ds.load({params:{start:0, limit:25, forumId: 4}});

This implies that you can use load/params to transmit additional parameters to the server. Well, that works on the call, but they get clobbered when the user uses the paging controls.
I suggest what I now put in my code:

ds.baseParams = {forumId: 4};
ds.load({params:{start:0, limit:25}});

The baseParams get preserved through paging.

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 9:08 AM
reignman, until the new site is ready I am going to create an Ext 1.0 forum. Feel free to post in there.

Animal, you are welcome to post the link. ;)

Bobafart
19 Feb 2007, 9:12 AM
reignman, until the new site is ready I am going to create an Ext 1.0 forum. Feel free to post in there.

Animal, you are welcome to post the link. ;)

How about submitting it to social news sites as per the evangelism talk we discussed last week?

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 9:21 AM
I prefer to wait for a more stable release, with good examples, documentation and the new site. This was the primary reason I didn't put it up on my blog yet. Now that there are a lot of people working with the code, I'm sure we can get there quickly.

What I really need help with is website 'copy'. Someone who knows how to write professional sounding stuff. :)

griffiti93
19 Feb 2007, 9:33 AM
February 19, 2007 - a day to remember! :D

Wolfgang
19 Feb 2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you very much Jack :D

manugoel2003
19 Feb 2007, 10:44 AM
This is just gr8.... I have already downloaded it, but I wont be able to work on it this entire week as I am on an extremely strict deadline... they will kill me if I dont make it this time ;)..... but I will certainly provide some constructive criticism and feedback ASAP.... u rock!!!

nbailey
19 Feb 2007, 11:02 AM
Jack,

Any thoughts on a support contract yet? I had posted a thread on the forum last week, and you responded that a support contract would correspond w/ this release. I understand that this is an alpha, and didn't know if you would be implementing any support commitments w/ the alpha release or the final release.

We are obviously extremely excited about what is coming :)

jack.slocum
19 Feb 2007, 11:35 AM
For the most part I have been cranking to hit today on a solid release. Unfortunately some silly bugs still made there way in, but I put up a hot-patch zip.

The site still isn't ready but it is improving. I will get it up as soon as I can. Trust me, it's very important to me too. :)

If you need any help in the mean-time, please let me know.

nbailey
19 Feb 2007, 12:07 PM
We're going to want/need specific examples on how to do specific things. We're primarily a CF shop, and are going to want to create a CFC that will create (among other things) a generic resizable 'grid dialog' that will allow us to update the contents via an AjaxCFC call (ajax).

You're package is simply outstanding (though I am sure you don't need us to tell you that) and we look forward to working with you in the future.

Webnet
19 Feb 2007, 2:56 PM
Yeah.... I'm guessing this topic belongs in perhaps one of the newer forums ^_^

LoL

ilazarte
19 Feb 2007, 10:23 PM
Congratulations Jack! This is looking stellar. Like everyone has been saying, you are redefining the web. Congrats!

valc
21 Feb 2007, 3:57 AM
After this release I plan to go back to the old way of more frequent releases and SVN commits.

Jack, after this release I think you need a holiday !

jack.slocum
21 Feb 2007, 8:49 AM
Valc, what's that? ;)