PDA

View Full Version : Emulate iPad in Google Chrome on Mac

shodan_uk
13 Aug 2012, 12:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to develop an app that detects iPhone and iPad and switches profiles automatically. So far, I've been developing using Chrome on the desktop and that's been great. Now that I've implemented the device specific profiles, I can't get it to run in Chrome on desktop, although it's fine on the devices. I'm have the following in my code:

profile/Phone.js

isActive: function() {
return Ext.os.is.iPhone;
},

profile/Tablet.js

isActive: function() {
return Ext.os.is.iPad;
},

If I change the above to
Ext.os.is.Phone and
Ext.os.is.Tablet and set Chrome to override the user agent via dev tools to emulate the iPhone, I can get the app to work in Chrome. I set Chrome to emulate the iPad however, I get nothing.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Terry

mitchellsimoens
17 Aug 2012, 12:32 PM
Why not get xcode which comes with iOS Simulator?

shodan_uk
18 Aug 2012, 5:31 AM
Because the simulator doesn't have the excellent chrome dev tools & console which I rely on heavily for debugging.

Also, my point is: why does iPhone simulation work but not iPad?

mitchellsimoens
18 Aug 2012, 8:41 AM
Using a remote debugger like weinre allows you to debug within the simulator or even on the actual device

shodan_uk
18 Aug 2012, 8:44 AM
I use Weinre sometimes. It's painfully slow, buggy and unreliable.

Whilst I appreciate your suggestions, I'm not really looking for alternatives. I'm looking for an answer to the question: why does iPhone simulation work but not iPad?

gubarez
18 Aug 2012, 12:55 PM
How about the Ripple extension for Chrome?

jerome76
18 Aug 2012, 1:27 PM
Electric Plum (http://www.electricplum.com/) has all the simulators (free trial, but a small purchase fee). I tried it out and it looks to be pretty good. You can use the chrome developer tools right in the simulator as well.