PDA

View Full Version : Remote Debugging ?

debianw
19 Oct 2012, 7:07 AM
I would like to know what you guys do, your thoughts, tools you use in order to do a remote debugging.

I know there's a tool called weinre. But this tool doesn't let me set break points and debug my javascript.

jep
19 Oct 2012, 10:52 AM
Well, in iOS6 Apple allows you to do remote debugging using Safari 6. Unfortunately, I haven't actually been able to try this as Safari 6 is Mac-only and my iPad 1 is not allowed to update to iOS6.

But just thought I'd mention it in case it would work for you.

debianw
19 Oct 2012, 1:03 PM
I'm more interested in Remote debugging with Android.

jep
19 Oct 2012, 1:19 PM
Then you're in luck:

https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/debugging

Well, if you have an ICS device.

mitchellsimoens
21 Oct 2012, 5:35 AM
There is also weinre that I use for the ones that don't have remote debugging built in.

jep
21 Oct 2012, 8:11 AM
You mean the one mentioned in the first post? ;)

mitchellsimoens
21 Oct 2012, 12:50 PM
You mean the one mentioned in the first post? ;)

Indeed! The only way to set a breakpoint is one that is supported by the device like iOS 6's and Android 4's. I haven't seen one that gives the ability to set a breakpoint or use the debugger statement.

debianw
26 Oct 2012, 6:54 AM
Ok, based on my research about Remote Debugging Weinre is the winner. I already installed a weinre server and it is very useful.

Somethings that weinre missed:
- Display unexpected javascript exceptions in the console.
- Breakpoints
- A way to turn on and off the remote debugging from the client application (the Target).

jep
26 Oct 2012, 7:45 AM
Yeah, Safari 6 remote debugging can't help but be the winner because it's the only one allowed privileged access to mobile Safari's internals.

Greg Arnott
15 Sep 2013, 7:29 PM
If you have an Adobe CS subscription, Adobe Edge Inspect and the Adobe Edge Inspect CC browser extension is a nice extension of the weinre toolset.

ADB can likewise provide some handy debugging for Android (free option).

Safari 6.1.x - seed 4 onwards, is required for quality remote debugging for Safari on iOS. This is also a free option, just requires an Apple Developer account, as well as a minimum of Lion to access the download and install.

Chromium combined with Chrome browser on a device offer an extensive range of debugging tools - although you'll find yourself debugging Chromium extensions and settings more often than Sencha.