PDA

View Full Version : Grid & Slow performance?

jay@moduscreate.com
22 Oct 2006, 2:18 PM
Jack Thanks soo much for your work. I'm experiencing slow response w/ records in the grid > 300.

I actually (i know it sounds silly) have a requirement to display ~3133 rows. I was looking into your grid + paging documentation, but before i dove into it, i wanted to know if anyone else here had the same experience.

Using FF 1.5 and IE6, same results.

Thanks a bunch guys!!

jack.slocum
22 Oct 2006, 5:57 PM
There's a certain threshhold where performance drops drastically. I would recommend using paging as you mentioned. Generally a user can't swallow too many rows whole anyway.

The type of data you are loading can play a big part too. 300+ rows with xml for example will be significantly slower than JSON or array data because of all the node lookup overhead (parsing too, but less so). You can improve that to almost equal by overriding the loadData method and processing the nodes directly instead of having the XMLDataModel search for the right node or attribute.

jay@moduscreate.com
24 Oct 2006, 9:35 AM
As of right now, I setup a php script to slurp the data from the DB and respond in an array like you have in your sortable grid demo/diy. this is where i'm getting my experience from.

Anywho, thanks so much for what you've done. I'm learning a great deal by just examining what you've created.

-Jay