PDA

View Full Version : [CLOSED-23] [2.x/3.x] OSX Safari 3.1/3.2.1: context menu issue?

billroy
19 Mar 2008, 8:18 AM
I noticed a small behavior change that seems to be isolated to the new Safari 3.1 drop and am wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Summary: In Safari 3.1, menu.showAt() from the 'contextmenu' handler displays a menu which looks correct but does not highlight on mouseover nor will it pop up submenus.

This is a paraphrase of the code:

Ext.get(document.body).on('contextmenu', function(e) {mymenu.showAt(e.getXY());});

It seems to still work properly on FF 2 and was happy on Safari before 3.1.

Any thoughts?

jsakalos
19 Mar 2008, 12:49 PM
Hmmm,

I'm using showAt here http://filetree.extjs.eu and I right now tested it in Safari 3.1 525.13 and it seems to work.

billroy
19 Mar 2008, 4:14 PM
Hi, Jozef. Thank you for the test, and the test case.

I can verify that I am able to reproduce the same apparent anomaly here with filetree at the url you so kindly provided: context menus work fine in Firefox 2 but in Safari 3.1 (build 5525.13) the right-click menu looks right but does not appear to respond to mouseover. The items are there and rendered correctly, but I see no paddle bar item highlight, no mouse cursor update. (Note that if I "click blind" on an item it does fire. But submenus do not pop up.) Precisely the same issue.

If this is working for you and not for me, it's interestingly puzzling. I will scratch my head for a bit and solicit further thoughts and input. Would any other Safari 3.1 users have a moment to test and report?

(I should have mentioned: Ext.version is 2.0.2 here.)

Best,

-br

jsakalos
19 Mar 2008, 4:23 PM
No idea then... I've installed fresh Safari (that extra 5 in your version is typo, I guess) same version as you, running it in WinXP - some old installation in virtual machine. I've re-checked it right now and it really works. Highlights are there, submenu opens. Ext version doesn't matter as you download it anyway from that url.

billroy
20 Mar 2008, 5:37 AM
Hello again and thanks for your reply, and your extra effort to double check. Perhaps we're getting somewhere. I'm on OS X and if I understand correctly you tested on Windows.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm running Safari on OS X 10.5.2 Intel, fully updated including this week's big security patch. Double checking the Safari build number confirms I see "Version 3.1 (5525.13)" in the About box, with the '5525' being different from your '525'. This confuses me, too, and I am happy to post a screen shot so you can share my confusion if you like.

I wonder if we are seeing different things because we are on different Safari platform builds?

May I request that any kind souls with OS X/Safari 3.1 and a moment to spare give this a try (see the filetree url above) and share the results (right click on a tree node; does the right click menu update properly)?

(Update: One Safari crash later and now I cannot reproduce the problem, i.e., it's working. This may be an Elvis sighting. I would still appreciate if a Mac user could give it a try and let me know, and will leave the post in case others "see Elvis" too.)
-br

jsakalos
20 Mar 2008, 5:49 AM
Yes, now it makes sense. I don't have Mac and I'm testing on Win version of Safari. That clarifies also different build numbers.

However, I cannot help you anymore as I have no Mac around so I cannot fix anything on the matter.

Somebody else?

rtannert2
20 Mar 2008, 7:17 AM
I'm on Mac OS 10.4.11 with Safari 3.1 (build 4525.13). When I run the demo and right-click on a node in the FileTreePanel, the context menu displays correctly, but mouseover doesn't work unless I first click an item (e.g., a disabled item or one such as Add that causes a dialog to be displayed but does not dismiss the context menu). Once mouseover works, the Open submenu is displayed upon mouseover of Open.

billroy
20 Mar 2008, 8:09 AM
Thanks for the report. We seem to have similar behavior.

I have been able to crash

I have reproduced the problem in a stripped-down single file form here:

http://blacktango.com/contextmenu.html

billroy
20 Mar 2008, 8:14 AM
Thanks for the report. We seem to have similar behavior.

I had a short interval where it was working correctly earlier today, and then it has gone back to broken. Since then, I have been able to crash Safari pretty regularly by doing this about 8 times in a row. The crash dump shows a messy exit deep in some messaging system. I do imagine Apple will be seeing a blip in the dump flow.

FWIW, I have reproduced the problem in a stripped-down single file form here:

http://blacktango.com/contextmenu.html

Unless someone has a bright idea I guess the ball passes to Apple. And we wait.

billroy
20 Mar 2008, 11:46 AM
A further unsettling observation is that the bug only seems to affect the context menu if the menu is brought up via right mouse click. In the buggy state, if you summon the context menu via control key + left mouse click (this is how you do it on the trackpad, for example) the menu works properly.

Hm...

bdonohoe
10 Apr 2008, 10:25 AM
We've been struggling with the same problem here. Safari 3.1 fixes some important bugs (like dragging across scrollbars) so we want to deploy it. But the context menus all break as described in this thread. I verified that context menus do work fine in Safari on Windows, so it's a bug in the Mac version only (and as noted, only right-click, not ctrl-click).

kagupta@quark.com
19 Apr 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi,

Am facing exactly the same issue with safari 3.2.1..

Has anyone come up with a workaround/fix?

Thanks,

Kapil

jsakalos
20 Apr 2009, 9:57 AM
The best I can do is to move this thread to bugs forum that is scanned by devel team. (Sorry, no Mac here, so I cannot reproduce/fix it myself.)

Do you want me to move it to Bugs?

kagupta@quark.com
20 Apr 2009, 8:37 PM
Yes, please do.

Thanks,

Kapil

evant
21 Apr 2009, 6:24 AM
Can't test with Safari either, however, just to summarize, you're saying the context menu submenus don't work properly if you activate the context menu with the right mouse button, however it works fine if you control click?

Sounds quite strange. Have you tried calling stopEvent() on the event object before showing the menu?

kagupta@quark.com
21 Apr 2009, 8:45 PM
The context menu works on right click but it does not highlight the menu item when I take mouse over it or changes the mouse cursor. It works properly if I use control+click.

However, it starts behaving correctly after I press the mouse once over a menu item and release it outside that item.

Yes, I am calling stopEvent before showing the menu.

rahulmca1@gmail.com
3 May 2009, 9:53 PM
Hi,

I am also experiencing same issue. Menu options do not highlight on mouse over and on mouse over of menu item having submenu, submenu is not shown expanded by default.

Any latest update on this will really help.

Thanks....

mystix
3 May 2009, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I am also experiencing same issue. Menu options do not highlight on mouse over and on mouse over of menu item having submenu, submenu is not shown expanded by default.

Any latest update on this will really help.

Thanks....

is your report valid only for 2.0.2 or... ?

Condor
3 May 2009, 11:42 PM
AFAIK all Ext versions (including 3.0) are affected.

All popup menus and submenus don't show a highlight and are not clickable in Safari 3.1 for Mac.

(just relaying the information from other posts; I don't own a Mac)

mystix
4 May 2009, 12:42 AM
AFAIK all Ext versions (including 3.0) are affected.

All popup menus and submenus don't show a highlight and are not clickable in Safari 3.1 for Mac.

(just relaying the information from other posts; I don't own a Mac)

got it. i'll test this again on my mac when i get home.

mystix
4 May 2009, 7:40 AM
Safari 3.2.2 / 4 beta on WinXP SP3 do not exhibit the bugs reported above.

i managed to reproduce the buggy behaviour using the 2.x / 3.x Advanced Tabs example in Safari 3.2.1 running on Mac OSX 10.5.6 though.

i added the following css style to confirm that the Menu's focusEl was indeed being focused:

.x-menu-focus:focus {
border:2px solid red;
}

with 3.0rc1.1's buggy TabPanel initEvents() method (where the contextmenu event is fired when mousewheeling on the Advanced TabPanel's tabstrip)

mousewheeling on the tab strip (which incorrectly calls the TabPanel's onStripContextMenu() method in 3.0rc1.1, but helps in this case to prove that onStripContextMenu() works) brings up a fully-functional Menu
right-clicking on a tab brings up a non-functional TabCloseMenu -- the Menu's focusEl is correctly focused (as evidenced by a 2px-wide red border), but all Menu items are not highlighted on mouseover. subsequently clicking on the Menu's 1px border causes some unknown element to be focused, following which the Menu starts behaving normally
A CTRL+click on a tab produces the same effect as (1)

after 2 hours of debugging, i've been unable to find the source of the problem.
time for someone else to carry on :)

aconran
4 May 2009, 10:27 AM
Marking this as an open issue for OS X; uncertain what the fix is at this point. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

mjlecomte
18 Jun 2009, 9:14 AM
Just an update: this issue appears to be still OPEN as of now, but the plan is to defer this until after the release of 3.0 final.

mystix
18 Jun 2009, 9:33 AM
an update from me too -- this bug doesn't manifest in Safari 4 final (OSX)