PDA

View Full Version : Ext GWT future direction

maku
24 Apr 2008, 11:49 PM
Hi,

we are considering to use Ext GWT for our product (commercial) after the rumors about the licensing in recent times.

Now Ext GWT is a commerical product I would like to know several things:

I looked at the current available beta (gxt-1.0-beta).

From my point of view there is a lack of documentation, samples and features.
(especially compared to gwt-ext --> http://code.google.com/p/gwt-ext/).

Are you planning to provide support for the same features like the base (Ext JS)?
Is a documentation planned (tutorial and so on)?
What is the timeframe of potential enhancements?

Maybe you are able to tell us something about the roadmap of the future development of ExtGwt.

TIA
Regards
Martin

darrellmeyer
25 Apr 2008, 5:18 AM
First, Ext GWT is an open source library :). The GPL is as open source as you can get, as it ensures the continuation of open source code by anyone who chooses to use it. So if you decide that you do not want to have an open source product, then you can use a commercial one, but that does not mean the GPL and Ext GWT are not open source.

1. Most of the Ext JS features will be implemented in Ext GWT. Also consider that there are many unique features in Ext GWT.

2. Yes, documentation is lacking and is a priority. The wiki will be restructured to include Ext GWT documentation and tutorials. Right now the focus is on getting 1.0 final out the door, but you can be assured that Ext GWT documentation will be provided.

3. We will be posting a roadmap in the next few days which will be in the format of the Ext JS roadmap (http://extjs.com/products/extjs/roadmap.php).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

sheesh-kebab
25 Apr 2008, 8:35 AM
Darrell -

It would be great if ARIA/508 compatibility was present in the roadmap for GXT - ExtJs has it planned in 3.0 release for later this year - it would be great if Ext GWT had it too.

However much we'd like to use the library in our development environment, Accessibility problems are basically roadblock #1 with majority of the current RIA libraries (exceptions are Flex, Dojo, and Bindows).

IBM seems to be quite effective in solving the accessibility issues with their Dojo contributions, so it seems that there are definitely ways to address them in the RIA space.

darrellmeyer
2 May 2008, 9:29 AM
The Ext GWT Roadmap (http://extjs.com/products/gxt/roadmap.php) is not posted.

juan.medin
31 Oct 2008, 2:57 AM
Darrell -

It would be great if ARIA/508 compatibility was present in the roadmap for GXT - ExtJs has it planned in 3.0 release for later this year - it would be great if Ext GWT had it too.

Yes, that keeps us from buying Ext GWT and might as well stop the GWT development effort altogether. There was green light on the GWT technology with the Ext GWT extensions. Once we can't use Ext GWT, using GWT alone is not an option so we are going to use JSF.

It's a pity because GWT is far superior to JSF but that's the situation now.

Best regards,
Juan

zaccret
2 Nov 2008, 11:41 PM
I see "ARIA/Section 508 accessibility improvements" on the roadmap (planned for 2.0)

juan.medin
4 Nov 2008, 11:50 AM
Yes, but "improvements" can be anything from a small enhancement to a single component to full Aria support to anything in between.

That's a real problem.

zaccret
5 Nov 2008, 1:34 AM
You may be right. However, I wonder how a rich internet application (full javascript page) can be accessible :-/

juan.medin
5 Nov 2008, 3:49 AM
Yes, I guess that's a real problem... But if they want government contracts (and I think most countries require accessibility) they need to fix this...

ricobaby
13 Nov 2008, 4:47 AM
First, Ext GWT is an open source library :). The GPL is as open source as you can get, as it ensures the continuation of open source code by anyone who chooses to use it. So if you decide that you do not want to have an open source product, then you can use a commercial one, but that does not mean the GPL and Ext GWT are not open source.

1. Most of the Ext JS features will be implemented in Ext GWT. Also consider that there are many unique features in Ext GWT.

2. Yes, documentation is lacking and is a priority. The wiki will be restructured to include Ext GWT documentation and tutorials. Right now the focus is on getting 1.0 final out the door, but you can be assured that Ext GWT documentation will be provided.

3. We will be posting a roadmap in the next few days which will be in the format of the Ext JS roadmap (http://extjs.com/products/extjs/roadmap.php).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

i actually have a question to ask. why is it so difficult to debug in hosted mode with gxt. is there any way to debug gxt in hosted mode more efficiently. thanks

Grandiosa
13 Nov 2008, 7:09 AM
You should start a new thread for your question.
BTW, I run debugger in hosted mode all the time and have no problems with GXT in this regard.