PDA

View Full Version : Using a bug database?

gslender
30 Apr 2008, 2:00 PM
Darrell and co... has anyone thought about using a bug database (there are so many good ones) to better manage and track the state of bugs?

I'm finding bugs I've raised have not even had a reply (some are many days old) so I'm not sure if 1) it was missed or 2) it was ignored or 3) it is being worked on... I dont think the forums is working very effectively.

Something to think about and certainly would help Ext-GWT and ExtJS I'm sure !!

Cheers,
Grant

brian.moeskau
30 Apr 2008, 4:09 PM
It's been requested before and is something we may still consider. We mainly use the forums currently so that bug posts and help posts stay in the same context for searchability, etc. There are many times where a bug post can help solve a help issue and vice versa. However, it does make management a challenge, so as I said, we may consider going to a true bug tracker.

With that said, a bug tracker, in itself, will not necessarily solve the problems you mentioned. A new bug report sitting in TRAC in "needs review" status is no better than a forum post with no replies... ;)

gslender
30 Apr 2008, 5:58 PM
With that said, a bug tracker, in itself, will not necessarily solve the problems you mentioned. A new bug report sitting in TRAC in "needs review" status is no better than a forum post with no replies... ;)

That is very true and I guess that depends on the developers - who mainly benefit from being able to quick filter out closed-bugs, reviewed-bugs and unreviewed-bugs.... etc...

As a user, I could always post to the forum about Bug #nnnnn and request feedback on likely turn around etc...

sheesh-kebab
1 May 2008, 8:23 PM
Brian, I highly recommend JIRA - there is no better issue tracking system out there. Forget Trac (it's barely useable, and so are most of the other ones - free or commercial).

An added bonus with JIRA is that you can easily generate detailed release notes, road maps, etc (besides providing all kinds of cool insight into development process to the community).

There is a ton of open and commercial community projects out there using JIRA (Spring, most of Apache stuff, Grails etc).