PDA

View Full Version : EPL 1.0 and GPL licenses are incompatible

sheesh-kebab
1 May 2008, 8:11 AM
Hi -

btw, I just glanced through the licensing for Ext GWT and noticed that Ext GWT uses code licensed under Eclipse Public License (EPL 1.0), and mentions this license in the /license folder.

EPL 1.0 License is incompatible with the GPL license and products licensed under GPL cannot be bundled with the code licensed under EPL. The the revers is also true - EPL licensed code cannot contain GPL code.

For more info, read here (or have your lawyers review the licenses):

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_Public_License

In such, I don't think Ext GWT is licensed properly under the GPL open source license.

Thanks,
sheesh

darrellmeyer
1 May 2008, 9:30 AM
Thanks Sheesh. We are looking into this.

buzz
5 May 2008, 4:37 AM
Any word on when the licensing issue is going to be resolved.

darrellmeyer
5 May 2008, 6:10 AM
We will be addressing the license issue later today.

buzz
6 May 2008, 3:33 AM
Any update? I'm afraid that the API is going to change again due to this issue and don't want to spend a lot of time refactoring my code.

trophytoolbox
6 May 2008, 4:23 AM
Yes, what's happening with this?

drz
7 May 2008, 12:29 AM
Does this issue have an impact on the use of 0.5.2 for a commercial usage?

buzz
7 May 2008, 5:32 AM
Darrell, I would appreaciate a response on this at the earliest. I've been told stop evaluating Ext GWT till the violations have been corrected as technically we shouldn't even be downloading a product that has a known license violation.
I'm sure you are aware that the EPL clearly states

a work created by combining a work licensed under the GPL with a work licensed under the EPL cannot be lawfully distributed.

zaccret
7 May 2008, 6:55 AM
Where is the code under EPL ?

darrellmeyer
7 May 2008, 7:18 AM
Because of the conflict with the GPL and EPL, all EPL code in Ext GWT has been removed. This mainly impacts the Viewer implementation.

Ext GWT was already moving away from the Viewer code, in favor of the Ext based Store and new data loading API. The store and data loading API now support all features lost with the viewer code. Store supports StoreSorter, StoreFilter, and remote data loading. Also, Store is now an abstract base class with specialized ListStore and TreeStore subclasses.

There is a new branch in SVN that contains the new code for beta 3. For SVN users, it can be found at http://code.extjs.com/svn/gxt/branches/beta3. However, the code is not fully functional at this time. We recommend waiting for beta3 before moving to the new code. The branch will be brought back to the trunk when beta 3 is released. We have been working around the clock to get these changes implemented and hope to have beta 3 out by Monday.

We have started adding content to the wiki for Ext GWT. There is a new document (http://extjs.com/learn/Documentation:Data_Loading)covering the new data loading and store API. This document (http://extjs.com/learn/Documentation:Data_Loading) walks through the data loading, store, and binder classes. There will be more documents to follow.
We apologize for the API changes, but the EPL code had to be removed. Also, the Fx package has been updated to use the GWT 1.5 Animation class. The Moo Tools based code has been removed. With these changes, the Ext GWT library does not use code based on any third party code or libraries.

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to reply to this post.

Darrell, I would appreciate a response on this at the earliest. I've been told stop evaluating Ext GWT till the violations have been corrected as technically we shouldn't even be downloading a product that has a known license violation. It is only a violation if you distribute your code. However, this is no longer an issue as the EPL code has been removed.

Does this issue have an impact on the use of 0.5.2 for a commercial usage? No, license changes are not retroactive.

Any update? I'm afraid that the API is going to change again due to this issue and don't want to spend a lot of time refactoring my code. Unfortunately, the API had to be changed. We are very happy with the new design and believe you find it easy to use and less complex than the viewer code.

zaccret
7 May 2008, 7:29 AM
Any update? I'm afraid that the API is going to change again due to this issue and don't want to spend a lot of time refactoring my code. Unfortunately, the API had to be changed. We are very happy with the new design and believe you find it easy to use and less complex than the viewer code.

Good new ! I was not fan of the Viewer stuff ;-)

buzz
7 May 2008, 7:31 AM
Darrell,
Glad to see that you have worked on resolving the problem. It seems unfair that only users of SVN get this code as technically Ext LLC is still in violation by distributing beta2 from the Ext website.

trophytoolbox
7 May 2008, 7:41 AM
So the code in the PagingTableViewerPage will change now? Will you have a new example on how to apply the api using the PagingTableViewerPage example?

darrellmeyer
7 May 2008, 7:50 AM
Yes, explorer has new demo pages for all the viewer demos that have been removed.

For example:

PagingTableViewerPage = PagingTablePage
XmlTableViewerPage = XmlTablePage

skhan
7 May 2008, 12:26 PM
I noticed you used "we" a few times in your post.

We have started adding content to the wiki for Ext GWT.

We apologize for the API changes, but the EPL code had to be removed.

Does this mean you've got other developers helping you out with coding or just with documentation and such?
I know when it was still called MyGWT you were working on it full time by yourself but I'd hoped that by partnering with Ext you'd get additional resources.
It would help me sleep at night knowing you're getting some help, this licensing issue has been a little worrying.

Thanks a lot

darrellmeyer
7 May 2008, 1:26 PM
I am still the primary developer for Ext GWT, but I do have resources available to support the project.

It would help me sleep at night knowing you're getting some help, this licensing issue has been a little worrying.

No need to lose sleep :). I would just ask everyone to be patient with their posts in the forums. All effort has been directed to the EPL changes which have required a substantial change in design and code. Once these changes are solid, all the outstanding posts will be addressed.

sheesh-kebab
7 May 2008, 6:00 PM
Darrell, sorry, I didn't mean to create anymore work for you with my post - Apache 2.0 license is compatible just with EPL 1.0, so the fix could have been a piece of cake;)

To someone here worrying about the GPL license for some reason - this incompatibility only affects the GPL licensed Ext GWT. Commercially licensed Ext GWT/GXT doesn't fall into this category - so feel free to take as long of a night sleep as you need :)

Grandiosa
8 May 2008, 12:45 AM
I am rather worried about this, I hope for no reason. But I don't quite see how the new dataloader api will replace the current JFace implementation in the Viewer package.

1. Are you saying that the new dataloading API will somehow provide me with another way of doing PagingToolBar.bind(RemoteContentProvider)

2. Will I have some kind of replacement for the databinding provided by TableViewer? Will I still be able to bind a model object and a table without resorting to writing Changelisteners and SelectionChanged handlers?

The JFace stuff in the Viewer packege of Ext-GWT was a "selling point" to adapt Ext-GWT for our web development. Why? Because we believe compact and elegant application code is vital for maintainability, there is a reason why everybody doing GUI development want databinding. And yes, I want my model content providers and bindings even if I am running in the browser. With 15-20 views in a MVC structured web application, lots of model and table widgets for the Views, the binding stuff shines.

If my understanding is correct it seems we paid for something that we wont get because users who are not paying and use GPL license would be in violation....
I can't help to wonder if this had been an issue if Ext-GWT stayed LPGL?

I guess I have no other choice than to build that beta3 branch and look at the new examples and the new api, which obviously will introduce its own set of new bugs and study efforts, and more importantly will delay the delivery of my application considerably. I felt we were getting close to a release with beta2, pity...

Grandiosa
8 May 2008, 1:39 AM
Ok, after reading the new DataLoading article (http://extjs.com/learn/Documentation:Data_Loading) on the wiki I feel better now...