PDA

View Full Version : Ext GWT Roadmap

darrellmeyer
2 May 2008, 9:26 AM
The Ext GWT Roadmap (http://extjs.com/products/gxt/roadmap.php) has been posted. If you have any question, comments, or feedback, feel free to post here.

jgindin
2 May 2008, 9:43 AM
A few quick questions:

Is there an estimated release date for 1.0? (As someone else posted recently, will it coincide with the GWT 1.5 release, which is not yet announced?)
Is there a final list of features that are going to be included in the 1.0 release?
Can you be *slightly* (and yes, I do mean slightly) more concrete in the release targets? "Summer 2008" -- that could be any time from June 21 to September 21... :) Maybe just which month you're targeting? (Please note, I know you're providing estimates, and I, for one, will not jump up & down screaming if you're estimate turns out to be off by a bit... I write software and know how my estimates turn out sometimes :)).)
thanks!

nseb
2 May 2008, 12:48 PM
I think , the 1.0 should integrate , these features :
# Auto complete ComboBox (local / remote)
# Auto fill ComboBox
# Grid + Store (Based on Ext JS Grid)
# Grid grouping, and totaling
# Grid plugins
# Editable grid

it's of primary importance , to have quickly , features to be comparable to GWT-EXT.

trophytoolbox
2 May 2008, 4:21 PM
Agreed. I just switched from gwt-ext this week and really need those features. I plan on buying a team license as soon as I get response back about my licensing questions.

zaccret
5 May 2008, 12:42 AM
I have 2 remarks about the roadmap:

1 - I'm not sure to understand the auto complete combobox feature for 1.1. Most (all ?) browsers already provide auto complete feature on combobox. You type the first letter(s) and it selects the first word beggining with these letters. I would certainly prefer an auto complete textfield. Did I miss something ?

2 - You're talking about Flash Charting API for 1.3. I'm not sure to like the Flash choice. First, and this is just a personal preference, I would prefer an open source solution, unlike proprietary Adobe Flash. Second, this introduce a new dependency to the user.
Did you consider using javascript (and open source) solutions, like Yahoo UI or SmartClient ?

Thanks

anodynos
5 May 2008, 3:47 AM
Will there be support for TreeItems that are any custom widget, like in GWT Tree ?

dardison
5 May 2008, 7:15 AM
Darrel,

As part of the Advanced Form Layout you mentioned, will be support for multiple fields on a row like MultiFieldPanel in gwt-ext?

Thanks,
Daniel

nseb
5 May 2008, 11:31 AM
darry , we can have a response for the differents question posted here of your roadmap ?

darrellmeyer
5 May 2008, 11:55 AM
Is there an estimated release date for 1.0? (As someone else posted recently, will it coincide with the GWT 1.5 release, which is not yet announced?)There is not a estimated release data. We would like to get 1.0 released as soon as possible. This should hopefully be within a few weeks.

Is there a final list of features that are going to be included in the 1.0 release?There is a not a list, however, all features for 1.0 are in SVN.

Can you be *slightly* (and yes, I do mean slightly) more concrete in the release targets? "Summer 2008" -- that could be any time from June 21 to September 21... :) Maybe just which month you're targeting? We will have a better idea on dates after 1.0 is complete.

I think , the 1.0 should integrate , these features :
# Auto complete ComboBox (local / remote)
# Auto fill ComboBox
# Grid + Store (Based on Ext JS Grid)
# Grid grouping, and totaling
# Grid plugins
# Editable gridThese will not be moved from 1.1. Even if the list was moved to 1.0, it would not be available any sooner as it is the first items that will be started in 1.1. We can probably release them as soon as they are available rather than waiting for all of the other features in 1.1 to be complete.

1 - I'm not sure to understand the auto complete combobox feature for 1.1. Most (all ?) browsers already provide auto complete feature on combobox. You type the first letter(s) and it selects the first word beggining with these letters. I would certainly prefer an auto complete textfield. Did I miss something ?The ComboBox is not a native HTML select box and therefore this behavior must be programmed. The TextField is a HTML input so the browser behavior with auto complete should be the same.

2 - You're talking about Flash Charting API for 1.3. I'm not sure to like the Flash choice. First, and this is just a personal preference, I would prefer an open source solution, unlike proprietary Adobe Flash. Second, this introduce a new dependency to the user.
Did you consider using javascript (and open source) solutions, like Yahoo UI or SmartClient ?We will be providing a wrapper around Flash based charts for many reason. If you prefer to avoid flash, you can wrap any charting solution you like :).

Will there be support for TreeItems that are any custom widget, like in GWT Tree ?A editable tree is planned which will support form fields. Widget support is not on the roadmap but may be something added later.

As part of the Advanced Form Layout you mentioned, will be support for multiple fields on a row like MultiFieldPanel in gwt-ext?Yes.

zaccret
5 May 2008, 11:01 PM
1 - I'm not sure to understand the auto complete combobox feature for 1.1. Most (all ?) browsers already provide auto complete feature on combobox. You type the first letter(s) and it selects the first word beggining with these letters. I would certainly prefer an auto complete textfield. Did I miss something ?The ComboBox is not a native HTML select box and therefore this behavior must be programmed. The TextField is a HTML input so the browser behavior with auto complete should be the same.

OK, sorry. I didn't understand what is a combobox. I've just taken a look on ExtJS demo, and now I see what it is.

Did you consider using javascript (and open source) solutions, like Yahoo UI or SmartClient ?We will be providing a wrapper around Flash based charts for many reason. If you prefer to avoid flash, you can wrap any charting solution you like :).

The most important to me is to have charting support, either with Flash or other. I was just telling you my preference and I'm also a little curious :) about the reasons you choose Flash.

gslender
5 May 2008, 11:49 PM
darrell, on the chart thing - I'm +1 for a non-flash chart widget.

Flash introduces further complexity to the client requirements and does not always sit well with accessibility requirements... I'm guess you also loose that Java only build if you now require a flash control to be available???

Lovecraft
6 May 2008, 3:31 AM
Instead of features, I'd like to ask when real documentation is going to be available.
I'm pretty new to GWT and Ext-GWT, and I think it's ideal for a certain part of my application (a dashboard panel with lots of widgets in it), specially with the advanced MVC framework in it, but the Explorer demo and the API docs it's just not enough for me (I come from the JSP world, and never even programmed Swing). Maybe the MyGWT documentation would have been useful, but it has been removed from everywhere (I couldn't even find it in Google cache).

I need to define very soon which technology I'm going to use for this part of my application, but as of today, I wouldn't choose Ext-GWT because of lack of documentation.

So, if there's any chance we can have good documentation real soon? Would buying a licence and/or support would help me in any way?

Thanks.

sheesh-kebab
6 May 2008, 3:58 PM
in terms of charting, there is simply no perfect way to do highly interactive and accessible charting in web browsers without relying on a plugin such as Flash in web browsers. There are some tricks you can with CSS (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/accessibledatavisualization) but that hardly could be called as full fledged charting. I've done plenty of research on this topic and there are basically several options:

1) Fusion Charts (free or commercial) or similar approach - as good as any Flash charting. Corda charts (http://www.corda.com) are actually most accessible out of all flash charts but I think their architecture is way too heavy and the pricing is way too high. OpenCharts (http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart/) seem to be good too, but they are only GPL, no commercial license it seems, if this matters to you.

2) Yahoo charts/Google charts - another type of flash charting but you'll introduce dependency on availability of one of these online services and security issues

3) javascript charting (http://www.ejschart.com/index.php - commercial) or similar - still really early in development but very cool looking (and very inaccessible). It would be awesome if Ext provided a wrapper for them but that might a bit far fetched due to potential business constraints.

4) SVG charting (I believe Apache has some SVG charting library) - cool looking but immature since not all A class browsers support SVG natively, without requiring a plugin

5) Server-side charting via JfreeCharts and similar - you don't need any GWT wrappers here, just generate any charts you want on the server. But obviously you won't have much of any client side interactivity.

Basically, pick whichever thing that hurts least to you and run with it. Fusion Charts I think is a pretty good option since it gives both free and commercial options.

zaccret
13 May 2008, 12:30 AM
I've taken a look on the Yahoo UI website. The Charts module is marked "Experimental" and, you're right sheesh-kebab, it is flash-based (I thought it was javascript). That's also true that javascript is no more accessible than flash, flash is just introducing a new dependency for the client. But of course, if javascript charting is still really early in development, let's go for a Flash solution.

For lovecraft, you're right, we should at least have a "getting started guide". You should also take a look at the useful samples in the beta 2 sdk bundle.

zaccret
14 May 2008, 12:42 AM
About charts, we shoud discuss here : http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=161031

Kango_V
9 Sep 2008, 1:25 AM
Our users are crying out for the equivalent of the ux LiveGrid in ExtGWT. We have always provided this functionality in our apps, first in C++ then through Java-Swing, Java-SWT and now we'd like to do the same in ExtGWT.

We've managed to get the Table to notify when it scrolls to the bottom so we can fetch more. This is a halfway house as when you add lots of rows, the table resizing becomes unusable (the browser hangs for up to 30 secs or more).

With the LiveGrid, resizing would not be an issue. In essence the Livegrid would replace the functionality of every other Grid/Table for us.

Facing east and getting on my knees now .... :)

dali
4 Nov 2008, 6:37 AM
Any updates of when version 1.2 will be released? I need to evaluate and prototype the component binding features. Any sample documentation of how binding will work in 1.2?

CrazyMonkey
13 Nov 2008, 11:01 AM
According to the following thread, there are plans to add Widget support to Tree and TreeTable:
http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50519&highlight=treetable

Is it still on the roadmap?

Thanks.