PDA

View Full Version : ExtJS and Ext GWT integration

gjacquet
12 Jun 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi,

I've recently heard about Ext GWT and I'm quite exited about it. Right now, I'm wondering how am I going to use it on my project.

I would like to know if there is a way to integrate ExtJS and Ext GWT. More specifically I would be very interested in developing new features for my project with Ext GWT and integrate them to the existing ExtJS application. This would allow us to slowly migrate our user interface from JavaScript to more robust Java code.

If this is not possible is there any procedure or best practices to migrate our application as smoothly and as quickly as possible? Has anyone done that yet? Any positive or negative feedback?

If we are using both ExtJS and Ext GWT, I guess we need to commercial licenses (one for ExtJS and one for Ext GWT). Am I correct? Are there any dual license available?

Thanks,

Guillaume Jacquet

gslender
12 Jun 2008, 1:41 AM
ExtGWT is really just GWT with "ExtJS" css styles and similar widgets - not much of the JS produced by ExtGWT is anything like ExtJS.

This is mainly due to the GWT compiler - your question is really more about "Can I use existing Javascript with GWT" and whilst you can interface the two together, probably not in the way you'd like to - ie not so easy to share objects and elements - I guess it would depend on how you want to share things and what specifically you want to integrate.

To be honest, if you already have a functional application, what part of GWT is attractive?

As for licensing - can't help, but I'm sure if you sent an email to licensing@extjs.com they could answer it for you !!

gjacquet
12 Jun 2008, 3:23 AM
I'm actually quite interested in knowing how well I can integrate existing JavaScript code into a new GWT project. But this is more a GWT question. What I really want to know is if it is possible to reuses JavaScript visual components, E.g. by wrapping an Ext.Panel into a ContentPanel.

We have a functional application, but we find JavaScript hard to maintain. We also find that Java only developers spend too much time learning JavaScript. This would be partially avoided by using a GWT based framework.

Would an complete migration be possible? I haven't looked at ExtGWT in depth yet but the widgets look kind of similar (almost the same appearance, almost the same name, almost the same methods). Will ExtJS and ExtGWT API converge to kind of similar APIs or is ExtGWT more focused on providing ExtJS-looking widgets?

gslender
12 Jun 2008, 12:11 PM
What I really want to know is if it is possible to reuses JavaScript visual components, E.g. by wrapping an Ext.Panel into a ContentPanel.

I do not believe you can - but I'd see if you can post to http://extjs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25 and confirm.

This would be partially avoided by using a GWT based framework.

Actually I'd expect you'd fully avoid this...

Would an complete migration be possible? I haven't looked at ExtGWT in depth yet but the widgets look kind of similar (almost the same appearance, almost the same name, almost the same methods).
Depends on the type of widgets you use. ExtGWT is fairly immature compared to ExtJS and is missing a lot of widgets and features of widgets - but its moving fast so by the time you start, migrate and finalise, you might find all the things you need. Plus if you're a paying ExtGWT user that it would probably shape direction and priorities as paying customers always do.... ;-)

Will ExtJS and ExtGWT API converge to kind of similar APIs or is ExtGWT more focused on providing ExtJS-looking widgets?

I can't see how ExtGWT could ever by 100% similar to ExtJS as one is based on GWT (which has its own API and way of doing things) and the other is a independant framework with no other purpose - but in terms of widgets, yes I believe the idea is to align as much as possible.

I'd strongly suggest you get in touch with Darrell - the lead developer and PM him with further questions. http://extjs.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=4759