PDA

View Full Version : 3 Weeks on Mr. Jack's yui-ext and web-dev is changed forever

christocracy
1 Nov 2006, 8:11 PM
this app is pretty raw. use FF; IE's borked at the moment. mothering IE.

http://www.thirdsidemusic.com/app/public.php
(hit [alt]+[d] to show Logger & JSON responses)

yui-ext changes everything.
yui-ext makes your clients :)++

( hris

jack.slocum
1 Nov 2006, 9:25 PM
Wow dude, that is coming along nicely. I really like how you have used the nested layouts. I think it's a great example implementation.

By the way, did you make that gray color scheme? In the beta2 release I am going to introduce "ytheme-gray" which is very similar. It themes the layouts, tabs, resizables and the new dialog class as well.

jack.slocum
1 Nov 2006, 9:26 PM
By the way, is you IE problem related to adding and removing nested layouts? If yes, I have that fixed.

christocracy
1 Nov 2006, 9:32 PM
>Wow dude, that is coming along nicely.

honored, sir.

>did you make that gray color scheme?

I simply greyscaled all the blue images.
I look forward to yours.

>is you IE problem related to adding and removing nested layouts?

I'll check that. I had it all working yesterday, with the more complex admin app. I'll find it.

I'm due to implement some toolbar action soon.

Animal
2 Nov 2006, 12:04 AM
I'm getting

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.thirdsidemusic.com/app/public.php

The following error was encountered:

* Zero Sized Reply

Squid did not receive any data for this request.

Your cache administrator is hostmaster@forward-comp.co.uk.
Generated Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:06:06 GMT by www-cache (squid/2.5.STABLE14)

christocracy
2 Nov 2006, 12:12 AM
that's in FF? what version?

Animal
2 Nov 2006, 12:59 AM
It's wasn't FF that had the problem. It wasn't actually receiving the page from the server.

I just tried again and got the page. Good use of available tools. Might be just a bit busy though. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

christocracy
2 Nov 2006, 1:02 AM
it's a music browser / streamer.

interface is similar to iTunes.

Animal
2 Nov 2006, 1:06 AM
If you have Genres which contain Artists which contain Albums, I'd go for a TreeView in the "west" panel.

Then a dbl-click on one of the TreeNodes would display details about that node, whether it was an artist, or an album.

It's not quite clear about the heirarchical nature of the data at first view with all 3 grids looking equal.

christocracy
2 Nov 2006, 1:10 AM
doesn't anyone use iTunes?

I do. it's not bad for browsing music.

takes up little vertical real-estate.

jack.slocum
2 Nov 2006, 1:24 AM
You will probably love the latest thing I am working on. It's class name is DataView. It allows you to bind a data model to an element+template. Is very lightweight and much faster than a grid.

It handles event delegation for you automatically. This means you don't have to addListener to all the nodes, it listens on the container element for events that bubble and fires the right events. I am adding support for selection (like the grid) right now.

The reason this is cool is you'll be able to use it to do simple lists (like in your UI) without the need for a heavy grids and you can put anything in the list (not limited to a table row like view, it uses a DomHelper template so it can be anything).

It should be cool. I am going to use it to create a detailed view in the rss reader.

christocracy
2 Nov 2006, 1:32 AM
great. like most people in the music biz, my client uses a mac with safari. apparantly, safari's a bit slow on teh first page render, probably because of all the grids.

jack.slocum
2 Nov 2006, 1:49 AM
Yep. Safari's rendering blows.

Animal
2 Nov 2006, 1:52 AM
doesn't anyone use iTunes?

I do. it's not bad for browsing music.

takes up little vertical real-estate.

No, I'm not hip-cool-and-trendy enough. No Ipod, no camera-phone. I don't do gadgets.

christocracy
2 Nov 2006, 2:01 AM
I don't do TV, cellphones, xbox, camera or cars but I screamed "motherer" when I lost my ipod in a snowbank.

I like boobs.

SYS64738

Animal
2 Nov 2006, 2:18 AM
I don't do TV, cellphones, xbox, camera or cars but I screamed "motherer" when I lost my ipod in a snowbank.

I like boobs.

SYS64738

Cool. I do cars as little as possible.