PDA

View Full Version : Central repository for user extensions?

krause
26 Jun 2008, 2:50 PM
Is there a place I can find all this great user extensions other than hunting for them in the forums and finding out which of the posts contains the latest version?

mjlecomte
26 Jun 2008, 4:28 PM
Not that I've seen. The only thing I know of summarizing them is at http://extjs.com/learn/Ext_Extensions

nassaja-rus
27 Jun 2008, 10:23 AM
I think, that Ext team should create separate svn repo for Ext.ux and strongly recommend to use it. To me has already bothered to try to discover updates in forum =(

hendricd
27 Jun 2008, 10:37 AM
Many ux's have (or are) moved to http://code.google.com/.

illuminum
28 Jun 2008, 4:44 PM
github anyone

mystix
28 Jun 2008, 7:55 PM
github anyone

looks good, sounds interesting, but the take-up rate appears dismal.

any compelling reason why one should choose git over svn?

illuminum
29 Jun 2008, 5:30 PM
looks good, sounds interesting, but the take-up rate appears dismal.

any compelling reason why one should choose git over svn?

it's a peer to peer system, i.e. decentralized. centralized systems have their pros and cons as do decentralized systems, although we're seeing decentralized (peer to peer) systems taking over the internet. practically speaking, with a p2p/decentralized system like git you can pull from the repo and develop, then collaborate with a few individuals who push and pull back and forth between your machine and theirs. when all is said in done, someone pushes back to the central repo. thus one might argue git gives developers the ability to branch off on to independent teams in a more robust way.

mystix
29 Jun 2008, 5:32 PM
it's a peer to peer system, i.e. decentralized. centralized systems have their pros and cons as do decentralized systems, although we're seeing decentralized (peer to peer) systems taking over the internet. practically speaking, with a p2p/decentralized system like git you can pull from the repo and develop, then collaborate with a few individuals who push and pull back and forth between your machine and theirs. when all is said in done, someone pushes back to the central repo. thus one might argue git gives developers the ability to branch off on to independent teams in a more robust way.

got it. thanks for the clear explanation :)

SamuraiJack1
2 Jul 2008, 5:25 AM
My suggestion about "hunting" extensions on forum is to maintain it full list in wiki. But not as raw list, but make it browsable by namespace,like:

====main extensions page===

Ext.ux.panel -> link to Ext.ux.panel namespace list
Ext.ux.Store -> link to Ext.ux.Store namespace list
Ext.ux.BadChosenUxName - link to particular extension page, with bad chosen name, coz generally each extension should include itself in some higher-level namespace (with some exceptions of course)

====main extensions page===

====Ext.ux.panel page ===

Ext.ux.panel.GMappanel -> link to Ext.ux.panel.GMappanel extension page
Ext.ux.panel.Youtubepanel -> link to Ext.ux.panel.Youtubepanel extension page

====Ext.ux.panel page ===

etc..

Think such method will not imply additional efforts for authors (they'll just maintain wiki page, not forum post) and also greatly structurized Ext.ux.* namespace

P.S. Such approach solves problem only in half, but it better then nothing. Of coz, right approach is to create sane JS archive network (there is openjsan.org but its dead project), but JS community is divided into framework clans (i can say even "tribes") and no one is interested in it.

grEvenX
14 Jul 2008, 11:45 AM
I second having a Ext.ux repository, git or svn!
I think this would be something both devs and users here could appreciate ~o)

Any good free hostings of SVN or git repos?
It would be best if we could use a well-know provider in this area that is free.