PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Question

erdahl
8 Sep 2008, 8:39 AM
Hi.

If I were to create a web app for my company, and release it to the corporate intranet (thus an internal distribution only), would it be ok for me to use the open source license?

Secondly, if this web app were made available to some various customers of ours, would it be necessary to convert to a commercial license?

Thanks

jpnet
8 Sep 2008, 11:17 AM
I'm doing the same thing. My understanding is as follows:
1) The library is licensed under GPL. Thus, if you are building a corporate intranet (internal) application, you do not need to release the source code, as you are not distributing it.
2) If you release a product using GXT outside of your corporation you may or may not need to release the source depending upon whether you are linking GXT.jar with your app. Thus, if you are writing your whole web app in Java (J2EE/GWT/GXT) you would need to make all of the source available. If it is just the client side (GWT/GXT) and you communicate with your server side via Json/XML, then you would just need to release your client side code.

However, I strongly recommend you check with a lawyer. Or, you could just buy a commercial license which is probably equivalent to one hour of a lawyer's time. You also get support.

-JP

erdahl
8 Sep 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I was primarily interested in the case where a web server displays an app made using GXT to a third party and communications are done via HTTP/JSON/XML. The third party only gets the compiled javascript, (which, as a product of GXT isn't covered under GPL).