PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Firefox 2.0 with multiple profiles for separate debugging

dfenwick
17 Apr 2007, 1:00 PM
If you're in the same situation as me, you spend a lot of time restarting Firefox due to whatever odd compatibility issues there are with firebug. Developers (myself included) LOVE firebug, but it definitely causes me quite a few headaches due to the eventual sluggishness the browser suffers from having it loaded (not to mention the 500MB executable size Firefox eventually balloons to after hours of running.)

This is for Firefox version 2.x under Windows. A similar approach can be taken for *nix. To enable it, copy your Firefox shortcut to a new shortcut (I called mine 'Mozilla Firefox - Development')

Make sure all Firefox browsers are closed and then do the following (you may want to copy this out of here) :

- From the command line, execute Firefox from the Mozilla Firefox directory under Program Files and add the -ProfileManager option

"c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox" -ProfileManager

- When the profile manager comes up, create a new profile. I called mine Development

- Note the original profile name (you'll need it later)

- After creating your profile, start that profile

- Go to the Firefox Addons repository and install Firebug into that profile (extensions are installed per-profile in Firefox)

- Close Firefox

- Now go back to the shortcuts you created. For the production shortcut, right click and select properties. In the Target field, put the following in there (paths might depend on your system)

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "Default"

Where Default is whatever the original default profile was when you started the Firefox Profile Manager earlier.

- For the development shortcut you created, set it as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "Development" -no-remote

- Execute the shortcut for your non-development profile. After Firefox starts, go to the addins manager, uninstall Firebug, and restart Firefox. This profile will now serve as your regular old browsing (production) profile.

By executing either of the profiles now, Firefox will start in separate process spaces for each of the profiles selected. So now you can have a development profile and a production profile and be able to restart the development profile without affecting your browsing session in your production profile.

A note here: In order for Firefox to integrate with the desktop and other applications that allow URL opening, you need to have your production profile open at all times. This allows integration of the OS MIME functionality directly with the production browser. That's why the -no-remote option is not included on the production profile.

mystix
17 Apr 2007, 6:51 PM
very useful. thanks!

jay@moduscreate.com
18 Apr 2007, 9:52 AM
thanks dude.