PDA

View Full Version : Can GXT create a nice looking website?

daeo
16 Mar 2009, 4:19 AM
Hi there,
Ext GWT is fantastic, but i have a little confusion. I m creating a website using ExtGwt now, but all i can think of is button, panel, textfields, and etc. All these are just like Java Swing, and the webpages would look like an application. This is great, but i m wondering if i can create a web-like web pages, such as a CSS popup menu.

Please tell me your opinion, and how you would do it.

Cheers ;)

skanberg
16 Mar 2009, 6:31 AM
Using plain GWT is an option.

thatone
16 Mar 2009, 8:53 AM
Hi there,
Ext GWT is fantastic, but i have a little confusion. I m creating a website using ExtGwt now, but all i can think of is button, panel, textfields, and etc. All these are just like Java Swing, and the webpages would look like an application. This is great, but i m wondering if i can create a web-like web pages, such as a CSS popup menu.

Please tell me your opinion, and how you would do it.

Cheers ;)

Plain GWT. Ext-GWT isn't an option to do that.

sven
16 Mar 2009, 8:56 AM
You can modifiy any component as you want to have it look with simple css. It is up to you to bring up the look you want.

daeo
16 Mar 2009, 1:56 PM
You can modifiy any component as you want to have it look with simple css. It is up to you to bring up the look you want.

That sounds good, but is it gonna make the development more complex and time consuming?

I looked at the "WHO'S USING EXT" section on the Home page, and couldn't find one using pure ExtGWT. I guess ExtJS could be more popular than ExtGWT because you can design you own web pages, and feed in Ext components when it's needed; ExtGWT is more like a 'Web Application' development tool, it can make website like a desktop application, but it's not the best solution to make traditional look and feel web pages, am i right with it?:-/

Thanks

sven
16 Mar 2009, 1:59 PM
You can do the same with extgwt.

daeo
16 Mar 2009, 2:13 PM
You can do the same with extgwt.

thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, i forgot that i can create HTML and put ExtGWT generated stuff in a DIV or any containers, so that i can design the web page in the traditional way using PHP, JSP, HTML and all these using Dreamweaver or other tools, and just fit my ExtGWT components in specific containers. It'd be great if you could show me some website created by ExtGWT, coz i found the samples i can find on web are all like ExtJS.

Thanks for your help. Also thanks for providing this amzing library.B)

SJrX
17 Mar 2009, 5:06 PM
At first when I looked at the library, I was concerned as it seemed very limited in terms of customization, (i.e. either blue or grey), now that I've worked with it for a while, you can actually change the look and feel drastically pretty simply, by adding your own custom css rules. The CSS is fairly well structured so it's fairly easy to change the look and feel of things. Just bust out a DOM inspector and you should be able to do amazing things.

daeo
17 Mar 2009, 5:39 PM
At first when I looked at the library, I was concerned as it seemed very limited in terms of customization, (i.e. either blue or grey), now that I've worked with it for a while, you can actually change the look and feel drastically pretty simply, by adding your own custom css rules. The CSS is fairly well structured so it's fairly easy to change the look and feel of things. Just bust out a DOM inspector and you should be able to do amazing things.

thanks, you make me more confident. : )

micgala
18 Mar 2009, 1:34 AM
I found some very interesting tools in GXT, which can help in making a good website.

What kind of tools?