PDA

View Full Version : ExtJs or GWT

churcho
17 Mar 2009, 11:28 PM
Hi folks,
I am a newbie to this world... I just wanted to ask what are the differences between these two products and which one is suited for what kind of development. I am sure this question has been asked in some quarters, a link might help.

Can a java newbie learn Java and the GWT package as one? Or one needs to be proficient in java to dive into GWT?

What are the options available?
Thanks

jadrake75
18 Mar 2009, 8:26 AM
You certainly don't need to know the Java JDK to be proficient since GWT only exposes a subset of the Java API (see http://code.google.com/docreader/#p=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&s=google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5&t=RefJreEmulation). Knowing the basic language constructs (classes, methods, scoping, anonymous classes as well as collection types, basic I/O) is more than enough to get started and be effective.

If you use GXT you need to use/know very little GWT core. I actually found it confusing to use GWT to build UIs and when I switch to GXT on GWT life was much cleaner. I'd say I might reference the Javadoc API for GXT 15-20 times what I reference GWT javadoc. GXT plays nice in Eclipse which really helps. I would recommend reading one of the GWT books such as Google Web Toolkit Applications (http://www.gwtapps.com/) if you are not very WEB 2.0 savy and to help understand some patterns you can use to build a GWT application.

Note: To go beyond a simple client (like the demo apps) you really need to have experience in developing an "application" and MVC (or other) methodologies. Understanding the Mail Application in GXT demos is a good start.

Good luck!

churcho
18 Mar 2009, 11:41 PM
I believe the best way would be to go the extJS way for a while then see if I can dive into GXT. I also wanted to ask, under what scenarios are each of the frameworks workable?

armandoxxx
26 Mar 2009, 5:44 AM
from my experience ..

I started with Ext JS .. learned it and now can do pretty much everything with it .. learning time .. about a month
docs and forum were and still are helpfull ..

trying to learn GWT and GXT now and for the future (even bought a couple of books on GWT). In GWT you can do everything. It's perfect for someone with designer in a team, that can design all the CSSs needed to make UI look great. Since I'm only a programmer I dig into GXT and found out that design is taken care of, but I ran into a many problems with incomplete docs and finding working examples of problems I ran into ..
I think GXT has great potential but needs time for people switch to it. Then examples will be provided, forum posts will be answered and GXT will live it's full potential.

But for now .. my development is faster with EXTjs ...

Kind regards

Armando

armandoxxx
26 Mar 2009, 5:45 AM
I believe the best way would be to go the extJS way for a while then see if I can dive into GXT. I also wanted to ask, under what scenarios are each of the frameworks workable?

can you explain "WHAT SCENARIOS ?"

Kind regards

Armando