PDA

View Full Version : Documentation Bugs - Ext Core 3.1

tim.sporcic
4 Apr 2009, 6:15 AM
Looks good. Definitely pushes into JQuery's happy space. Documentation is very good, but has a few rough spots:

Core Manual: URL encode/decode examples use Ext.encode/decode instead of Ext.urlEncode/urlDecode

API Doc: Ext.Template doc says at the top to look at Ext.util.Format for the format functions, but that class in not in Core

ry.extjs
4 Apr 2009, 6:27 AM
Manual

CSS Clases & Styling header should be CSS Classes & Styling.

The example following CSS Classes & Styling shows <div type="myCls">, should be <div class="myCls">.

Under CSS Classes & Styling, following the screenshot of Firebug, the last sentence: lets should be let's.

Under CSS Classes & Styling, the last sentence in the toggleClass description has a typo: "If it isn't applied to the element it will be, it is is then it will be removed." "it is is" should be "if it is."

Are the RED boxes under the Animations section suppose to do anything?

I'm assuming the Template docs are not finished?

Under Ext.Extend, the last sentence in the override description contains a typo: "properties/functions to add t othe prototype"

In the Element section, under Html Fragments, after the beforeBegin markup, "Suprised?" is misspelled.

I know I saw some other minor things. I'll try to post more as I find them.

mjlecomte
4 Apr 2009, 6:49 AM
For time being post all of the doc related remarks in this thread.

Please make sure to indicate if it is the Manual or the API Docs and specify a section/class to help locate what you reference is.

mystix
4 Apr 2009, 7:20 AM
Manual

Typo:

Ext Core has animation plugins available that give you a robust set of preconfigured animations that are alredy applied as methods to Ext.Element so you can do cool things like this:

Incomplete description

isEmpty
Checks whether the passed value is empty, i.e. which includes undefined, null, or an empty string, or an empty array.

tim.sporcic
4 Apr 2009, 8:42 AM
API Docs:
Ext object documentation is missing the select() method
Element object documentation is missing the update() method

deanna
5 Apr 2009, 3:10 PM
First off, this is a great thing to have and it is well done. I found a few things working through it. I am only in the 2nd section, so if you like I will keep posting notes as I go. This is what I have found so far:

// Entire document is searched
Ext.select('div:nth-child(2)');
Ext.select isn't in the api docs
----

var el = Ext.get('myElementId');
el.addClass('error');

After executing this code, the font color in the paragraph above will change to red. This page has a CSS rule which changes all elements with a class of error to the color red. The CSS rule looks like this:
class error is missing from the style sheets
-----

<div type="myCls">Hello</div>
type instead of class
------

var el = Ext.get('elId');
var dhConfig = {
tag: 'p',
cls: 'myCls',
html: 'Hi I have replaced elId'
};

// creates a new node and appends it to 'elId'.
el.createChild(dhConfig);
It doesn't replace elId, it creates a child to it.

------

// wraps elId with the newly create element
Ext.fly('elId').wrap({
tag: 'p',
cls: 'myCls',
html: 'Hi I have replaced elId'
});
Doesn't replace elId, wraps around it. That message will actually be before it.

-----

For both Select and Query

Select takes a query and returns an array of dom nodes.
Confusing, I know what you mean, but if I didn't I would be scratching my head. Change to something like,

First argument is a css3 selector string and the return is an array of dom nodes.

----
HTML Fragments

No concept explained. Examples leave you wondering what the overall concept of the relative parameters mean.

Something should say the where string is in relation to the openning(begin) or closing(end) tags of the element.

HTML Fragments relate to opening and closing tags. The opening tag is referred to as the begin, and the closing as the end. beforeBegin would place the fragment before the opening tag, afterBegin would place the fragment after the opening tag. beforeEnd would place the fragment directly before the closing tag, and afterEnd would immediately follow it.

-----

insertHTML, why does it default to DOM node return, seems rest of calls default to Element? Should be consistent. Not a documentation problem, but library consistency.

----

The document doesn't follow the left hand menu after Element->Manipulation

----

Need a bit more on the diff between remove (element) and removeNode(domNode). What happens if I remove a dom node that has an attached element?

Removing an element also removes the DOM Node it is associated with. Removing a Dom Node does not remove any associated Elements and will cause them to break if used after the DOM Node is removed.

----

Ext.fly('myEl').on('click', function(e, t) {
// perform an action on click of myEl
// e is an Ext.EventObject describing what occured
// t is the target HTMLElement
});

Ext Core normalizes the arguments of all Dom events. The event handler which is tied to the event will always receive a normalized event object (Ext.EventObject) and the target HTMLElement.

Shouldn't this be an Ext.Element instead of HTMLElement?

------

HTMLElement and Dom Node are used interchangeably, Dom Node would be clearer.

------

var myDiv = Ext.get('myDiv');
myDiv.on("click", handleClick);
//or
Ext.EventManager.on('myDiv', 'click', handleClick);
Ext.EventManager.addListener('myDiv', 'click', handleClick);

shouldn't this be included

Ext.get('myDiv').on("click",handleClick);

-----

carol.ext
6 Apr 2009, 8:05 AM
Ext.select() is not documented in 3.0 beta core API (http://extjs.com/products/extcore/docs/?class=Ext&member=select). The tabs example uses it. I searched source to find that it is shorthand for Ext.Element.select. I guess I should know that from 2.x :-|

tabs.js:

Ext.select('.tab-buttons-panel').on('click', function(e, t) {

CompositeElementLite.js

Ext.select = Ext.Element.select;

[Edit] Thanks MJ for moving to correct thread. deanna already mentioned this one earlier in this thread (http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=312999#post312999)

pedroteixeira
6 Apr 2009, 4:16 PM
There is a typo in Element -> Advanced Event Handler -> buffer

"hanlder" should handler

Great stuff! :)

cheers
Pedro

Kazuhiro Kotsutsumi
7 Apr 2009, 12:43 AM
Hi.

Ext.encode and Ext.util.JSON.encode is not move.

Ext Core is not implement Ext.isDate.

JSON.js LINE:111

}else if(Ext.isDate(o)){

Kazuhiro Kotsutsumi
7 Apr 2009, 6:05 AM
Class Ext.Template in compile method is JS Error.

LINE:112-115

function fn(m, name){
name = "values['" + name + "']";
return "'"+ sep + name + " == undefined ? '' : " + name + args + ")" + sep + "'";
}

arg is not defined.

maz56
7 Apr 2009, 7:48 AM
The documentation regarding the hover event is incorrect. I am just starting out with Extjs so please excuse me if this is not 100% accurate. Here is the example code as shown in the documentation:

// handles when the mouse enters the element
function enter(e,t){
t.toggleClass('red');
}
// handles when the mouse leaves the element
function leave(e,t){
t.toggleClass('red');
}
// subscribe to the hover
el.hover(over, out);Obviously you are creating an enter and leave function, but when you are invoking the hover function, you are using "over" and "out" vs "enter" and "leave".

The second thing that drove me crazy for hourse is that t is not an Ext.Element object so t does not have a toggleClass function. t is a standard dom action. Below is an example that actually works:

// handles when the mouse enters the element
function enter(e,t){
elem = Ext.get(t);
elem.toggleClass('red');
}
// handles when the mouse leaves the element
function leave(e,t){
elem = Ext.get(t);
elem.toggleClass('red');
}
// subscribe to the hover
el.hover(enter, leave);As am just starting to use Extjs, If there is a better way, I would appreciate knowing.

Kazuhiro Kotsutsumi
7 Apr 2009, 7:50 AM
Ext.EventManager / removeAll method is not enable.

in EventManager.js

E.un(el, ename, v.wrap);

v.wrap is undefined.

this is Ext Core 3.0 and Ext JS 3.0(SVN).

Ext.EventManager.on and Ext.EventManager.un is OK.

schlif
7 Apr 2009, 10:10 AM
Typo:

Utility > Array Handling > each (2nd lign) : eac should be replaced by each

anpainte
9 Apr 2009, 10:29 AM
Ext 3.0 Core Manual:
Class System/JavaScript Classes.. extend function (left off a , after the constructor function)

Element/Manipulation: Search for "and finally lets look at 'afterEnd' " and it shows Ext.fly('elId').insertHtml('beforeEnd','<p>Hi</p>'); instead of afterEnd

yuki
10 Apr 2009, 1:04 AM
Not really a bug, but need some reorders in:

Element > Advanced Event Handling
Descriptions for hover / removeAllListeners should be moved up or down since these are methods in a middle of descriptions of config options for addListener:)

Element > Manipulation > Html Fragments
Descriptions for remove / removeAll should be moved to somewhere in "Element > Manipulation > Html Fragments" section.

Need some style check

Element > Animations
Anchor value table's <th> tag needs restyling (font-size, etc)

Repeated sentenses in:

Generating Markup > DomHelper

DomHelper (abbreviated DH) is a utility class used to dynamically generate markup and works around many cross-browser issues encountered when creating markup using raw DOM scripting. DH is intelligent enough to use HTML Fragments and innerHTML where appropriate to optimize speed without sacrificing compatibility.Since Ext.DomHelper is a singleton, all its methods can be accessed statically without instantiating a new instance of the class.

Ext.DomHelper is a singleton. Therefore you can access all of its methods statically without instantiating a new instance of the class.

and as mentioned in eralier post, descriptions for Template class are missing...

BTW, Japanese version (http://extjs.co.jp/products/extcore/manual/index.php) is almost complete (with above points fixed):D

ramaboo
12 Apr 2009, 7:41 PM
Ext Core Manual -> Element -> Positioning

You have "Notice the element has a width of 895px, a height of 1669px" yet the screenshot shows a hight of 1691px as does the following documentation.

I know its a tiny mistake but people beat me to the other ones I have found so far.

alucard001
13 Apr 2009, 6:27 PM
Since I did not find any discussion grouop about ExtJS Core 3, here may be a good place to post:

http://www.extjs.com/products/extcore/manual/

Section: Element > Manipulation > Html Fragments: I found this:

And finally lets look at 'afterEnd'.

Ext.fly('elId').insertHtml('beforeEnd', '<p>Hi</p>')

But I think it should be:

Ext.fly('elId').insertHtml('afterEnd', '<p>Hi</p>')

The example followed is correct, only the example code has typo.

Please fix, thank you very much.

By the way, please keep ExtJS 3 as simple as possible. :)

One more thing, after I download the zipped Ext Core 3 and extract, the file: ext-core-3/ext-core.js (I guess this is minified) is 75 KB as shown in my windows machine, not 25 KB as declared in webpage. Did I make a mistake or misunderstand? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you very much.

elwhiz
14 Apr 2009, 1:19 AM
on Ext Core Manual, you can see on the setStyle example:

Ext Core Manual -> Element -> CSS & Styling

// animate the transition of color
Ext.fly('elId').setStyle('color', '#FFFFFF', true);
// animate the transition of color with a duration of .75 seconds
Ext.fly('elId').setStyle('color', '#FFFFFF', {duration: .75});

I've tried the samples but the transition of color didn't work. The API Documentation didn't put any param for animation either the source code.

Not just color transition. Even when I set style for height and put a duration for animation on it, there was no animation.

shibubh
19 Apr 2009, 6:21 PM
i just saw that in Doc API. Ext.EventManager has a public property
called A, B, C, D,E,F and many More are added i think this is the public property of EventObject and the same things are missing from the EventObject.

Allwise
21 May 2009, 1:33 PM
Hi all,

In API Docs, class Ext.Element, signature of scrollTo method is :

scrollTo( String side, Number value, [Boolean/Object animate] ) : Element

But we can't animate scrolling, in source code there's no scrollTo function with 3 params.
So either a piece of code is missing, either the doc is incorrect.

Animal
23 May 2009, 12:52 AM
Hi all,

In API Docs, class Ext.Element, signature of scrollTo method is :

But we can't animate scrolling, in source code there's no scrollTo function with 3 params.
So either a piece of code is missing, either the doc is incorrect.

Fixed in SVN

mcouillard
16 Jun 2009, 10:14 AM
Ext.Updater seems to be missing from Core 3.0. I found this while attempting to use loadScripts(true). It's in the Doc but doesn't work - both in the code or Doc.

Related post about Doc:
http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=344516#post344516

evant
16 Jun 2009, 10:26 AM
Correct, this is a documentation error.

Animal
17 Jun 2009, 4:41 AM
The Ext Core Manual shows en example of Element (or Flyweight).setStyle taking a third parameter as true, or an anim config to mean animate.

This is incorrect. There is no such parameter. This has led to questions and misunderstandings on the forum.

mankz
2 Jul 2009, 1:15 AM
Element.update says it returns the Element itself though it doesn't...

update : function(html) {
this.dom.innerHTML = html;
}

Also, it doesn't turn up when browsing to the Element class but when you search for update it shows up as a method on Element... weird

mystix
2 Jul 2009, 1:22 AM
Element.update says it returns the Element itself though it doesn't...

update : function(html) {
this.dom.innerHTML = html;
}

the code in SVN returns the Element.

mankz
2 Jul 2009, 1:27 AM
what about this part then:

Also, it doesn't turn up when browsing to the Element class but when you search for update it shows up as a method on Element... weird

mjlecomte
2 Jul 2009, 3:02 AM
what about this part then:

It is in the current svn build. Also recognize that the search utility is currently searching against the Ext 2 docs, so it will generate a bogus search.

dapper
12 Jul 2009, 9:53 PM
Sample code in API doc for BasicForm standarSubmit property references a non-existent function getForm() for the given object.

Does standardSubmit work in Ext 3.0? I know this feature was an issue in 2.2.

mjlecomte
14 Jul 2009, 5:01 PM
Sample code in API doc for BasicForm standarSubmit property references a non-existent function getForm() for the given object.

Does standardSubmit work in Ext 3.0? I know this feature was an issue in 2.2.

The suggested workaround in the docs is still needed it seems. The code may need to be updated as I just used it the other day, buttons config stuffs the buttons in a fbar toolbar. So you need to use btn.ownerCt.ownerCt.getForm() to get the buttons owner container (the fbar) and then the fbar's owner container (the form panel) which has a getForm method.

steffenk
10 Aug 2009, 4:43 AM
Hi,

not a bug, only a feature request.

I often miss a search function. There is "search class" but very helpful would be
"search property", "search method", "search event". It could work like the class search to filter all objects contain the search.

sry, should go to Ext Doc, but it's general for all docs.

rolfdaddy
20 Aug 2009, 6:44 AM
On the Ext Core docs, http://extjs.com/products/extcore/docs/, do a search for "menu". When you click the link to go to the Ext.menu.Menu API page (http://extjs.com/products/extcore/docs/output/Ext.menu.Menu.html) it 404's.

Apologies if this has already been reported. Is there a place to download the Core docs or are they only available here online?

Thanks for the great work,
Rolf

Condor
20 Aug 2009, 6:51 AM
The Ext Core API docs (http://extjs.com/products/extcore/docs/) search feature apperently returns hits for the Ext library instead of Ext Core.

The same search works if you enter it in the Ext API docs (http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/docs/).

rolfdaddy
20 Aug 2009, 9:22 AM
Thank you for the explanation...

Then may I suggest that you update DOCS.txt in the Ext Core SDK to note that at least some of the Ext classes in Core are documented elsewhere. Currently DOCS.txt just says:
Visit http://extjs.com/products/extcore/docs/ for the full API Documentation

fidlej
25 Sep 2009, 2:57 AM
I found these typos in the core documentation.
On the Element section:
it is is then -> if it is then
yeaprovided -> provided
on('click, -> on('click',

On the Ajax section:
they webpage -> the webpage

Eric24
25 Oct 2009, 3:52 PM
It shows up in a search, but it missing from Observable and all subclasses.

TheBerliner
4 Dec 2009, 3:07 PM
In the minimal and partial documentation of the classes KeyMap and KeyNav the config options:
shift:
ctrl:
alt:
are not mentioned with any word. Their existence can only be assumed from one example.

There is also no information whatsoever about how to limit the use of keys to a simple key press, or to a shift+key but without the other options etc.

Again, this is something that the user has to find out by "trial and error", which steals our time.

biker1800
1 Feb 2010, 2:50 PM
Its been killing me setting this up. Glad i located some of my problems so i get to work. Thanks to all that contributed:-?.

OlleJonsson
11 Feb 2010, 4:42 AM
There was a missing scope parameter bug that prevented filtering the classes panel. Also in the 3.1.1 distribution docs/resources/docs.js.

Details are in this forum thread:
http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=431397#post431397

...and I'm currently enjoying ExtJS coding.

chesstrix
11 Feb 2010, 4:09 PM
Hi Folks,

Firstly, keep up the great work. Love it.

I think there is an issue in the online docs when searching for XmlReader or XmlWriter.
Nothing is returned even if you set "Any Match"

Cheers.

SowingSadness
6 May 2010, 3:57 AM
http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/docs/
Ext.grid.GridView no info about scroller -((

ValterBorges
9 Jun 2010, 10:49 PM
Please add applyEmptyText method of form fields to api documentation.

Regards,
Valter

Juel
30 Jun 2010, 4:04 AM
Ext.form.Checkbox -> Config Options -> boxLabel : String

shows up twice in 3.2.1 api documentation!

Regards, Juel

Jamie Avins
7 Sep 2010, 10:01 AM
We're going to close this thread in favor of opening individual tickets on the items to ensure they get resolved.