PDA

View Full Version : grid in Safari

rtannert2
26 Sep 2006, 6:06 AM
Jack,

I wasn't sure where to post this because Safari support may not be a high priority, but...

The grid works great in FF 1.5.0.7 under Mac OS 10.4.7, but in Safari 2.0.4 I notice that neither vertical nor horizontal scrollbars work.

The editing support you added on Sept. 10 also has some interesting quirks in Safari. The behavior I currently see is this: If I click in a text cell (regardless of the row), I can edit the value. If I click in a cell in the Light column, the cell appears as a select element, but I can't change the selection. When I click in a date or checkbox cell, the grid scrolls down. After one more click in either a date or checkbox cell the grid has scrolled to the bottom, and if I again click in a date or checkbox cell it works as expected. No JS errors appear during any of this. Clicking in a column header has the expected results.

I haven't had a chance to try any experiments of my own yet to try to figure out what's going on in Safari, but I'll be happy to do that if you wish. If I can help in any other aspect of Mac testing, please let me know. Thanks.

Rob

jack.slocum
26 Sep 2006, 1:55 PM
Rob, yes that would be great! I try to test the Mac as often as possible but I am limited to BrowsrCamp and I can't debug or try to find what is going wrong.

Any help in that department would be much appreciated.

Jack

jack.slocum
26 Sep 2006, 8:50 PM
I am trying to test it right now over BrowsrCamp. It is so painfully slow and the resolution is terrible.

I do see the scrollbar issue. They are there, but they don't do anything. The most interesting part about it is the mouse wheel DOES seem to scroll, including moving the scrollbars. Very odd behavior. I wish I could get it into a debugger and see what's happening internally but I can't. :(

The strange editing behavior probably stems from using focus() on the elements. focus() is supposed to scroll the element into view and focus it. In safari it appears to be scrolling the element out of view if it is wrapped in an absolute positioned div (like the date and checkbox element are), but it works fine on elements that are positioned directly.

If you (or anyone else) has a Mac and can help me find a workaround for Safari's odd focus quirks, I would appreciate it (and of course I would give you credit).

Thanks,
Jack