PDA

View Full Version : compatibility of GXT and Ext JS

petchia
20 Apr 2009, 1:21 PM
I'm wondering if GXT is compatible with Ext JS?

Let me explain what I mean.

Can you have an application that is partly developed in native Ext JS and partly developed in GXT?

I know that GXT is NOT actually a wrapper for Ext JS in Java, but rather a library unto itself that generates JavaScript + HTML + CSS that looks (in UI representation) very similar to that which you'd develop in native Ext JS. However, if you were to perform a diff on the DOM in a browser from each of the frameworks would there be no difference?

Thanks for any input.

Best,

Bill

gslender
20 Apr 2009, 7:06 PM
There would be some structural difference in places - depending on the widget. In some obvious cases, it makes no sense to be different (ie a button structure makes sense to be similar). All of the ids on the divs are different as they are generated using different auto generators (ie a GXT id tag).

Visually the CSS is identical (again in almost all places) - ie where our testing identified a bug in the JS styling, it was only fixed in GXT styles.

You can use GXT and JS together, but it would be difficult to share data/logic between raw JavaScript and GWT - not impossible, but not straight forward either.

Grant

petchia
21 Apr 2009, 4:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

From what you're saying, it sounds like performing a diff on the DOM would definitely show that the two are not equal (but perhaps very close).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to date GXT has always been a bit behind Ext JS in terms of the set of widgets and the functionality of those widgets. It seems like every time there is a release of Ext JS and GXT (ie. Ext JS 3.0 and GXT 2.0) each one moves forward incrementally. However, they aren't quite in parallel yet in terms of what widgets are there and their functionality. Is there any intent for these two frameworks to come to parity and then to parallel each other in this regard?

In my mind, the two frameworks can't be fully compatible with one another until they are in parity. A new Ext JS version could have changes to the CSS which would not be inline with GXT's CSS until GXT supported the latest JS changes that relate to those CSS changes.

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide. I'm just trying to make sense of everything.

Best,

Bill

gslender
22 Apr 2009, 2:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

From what you're saying, it sounds like performing a diff on the DOM would definitely show that the two are not equal (but perhaps very close).

yes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to date GXT has always been a bit behind Ext JS in terms of the set of widgets and the functionality of those widgets. It seems like every time there is a release of Ext JS and GXT (ie. Ext JS 3.0 and GXT 2.0) each one moves forward incrementally. However, they aren't quite in parallel yet in terms of what widgets are there and their functionality. Is there any intent for these two frameworks to come to parity and then to parallel each other in this regard?

2.0 and 3.0 are mostly correct. The development of 2.0 occured at the same time as 3.0 and we've tried very hard to include all 3.0 widgets in 2.0 - but some last minute 3.0 widgets were added and we still need to add them (we are working on that now).

In my mind, the two frameworks can't be fully compatible with one another until they are in parity. A new Ext JS version could have changes to the CSS which would not be inline with GXT's CSS until GXT supported the latest JS changes that relate to those CSS changes.

That view is wrong - GXT from now on should be very close to the JS version - if not identical.