PDA

View Full Version : [CLOSED][3.??] garbageCollect for Components

XASD
27 Apr 2009, 12:46 AM
It seems 3.0 still does not have garbage collection mechanisim for components
http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7214.How about timer based checks for existence components' els?

Thanks.

evant
27 Apr 2009, 12:54 AM
Once again, this isn't a bug. A bug would be existing functionality that doesn't work as described. If you want to request a feature that is fine, but please stop posting these kinds of things here.

XASD
27 Apr 2009, 1:24 AM
Sorry,but there's no "feature request" thread for 3.0 and I don't need "Help".
I believe that's necessary functionality,which is missing.If you think otherwise, please move my post to another thread,but argue clearly why that thing is not required.

Thanks.

evant
27 Apr 2009, 1:48 AM
I'm not necessarily sold on the idea of having a component garbage collector. You can't just destroy components indiscriminately. The only time I can think of where something like this might be useful is if you're wiping the innerHTML of something. Is this, perhaps related to your previous request?

XASD
27 Apr 2009, 2:11 AM
Excuse me,but I don't see how I can "indiscriminately" destroy() component ,if its element does not exist.That's memory leak IMHO by definition.Another point,how it can happen...direct dom manipulation is one of reasons.Nothing is perfect,and Ext API is not exception.Component management inconsistencies appear from time to time,and it would be nice to have guaranteed fallback to fix them asap.
Why garbage collection?Why Element.garbageCollect?
Maybe to correctly manage framework/application api impedance and integration issues.

Regards.

evant
27 Apr 2009, 4:00 AM
The element garbage collector searches for orphaned elements, we are talking about releasing objects from memory. At this point, I don't think it's of such huge importance to have as a feature, over-writing the dom as opposed to using the component methods will usually cause issues, especially when using layouts. If you want, please post in the feature requests forum and we'll see if there's any enthusiasm about it. For the mean time, I'll close this thread off, it's not a bug.