PDA

View Full Version : YUI 0.12.0

jarrednicholls
17 Nov 2006, 5:58 AM
Just FYI, YUI 0.12.0 came out on the 13th. And all they did was improve docs and add a Tabs control? They have a whole team of developers, and yet Jack outperforms them 50:1. I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Cheers.

jack.slocum
17 Nov 2006, 8:51 AM
Haha, that is funny. I'm sure there was other stuff they were doing. :)

sjivan
17 Nov 2006, 7:12 PM
Jack,
Were you able to confirm that there are no conflicts / issues running YUI ext with the new YUI release?

I agree that the speed at which you get things done kicks ass. Why hasn't yahoo hired you yet :)

Thanks,
Sanjiv

jack.slocum
17 Nov 2006, 7:38 PM
I haven't had any problems with the new release. If you encounter any, please let me know.

Animal
17 Nov 2006, 11:25 PM
Haha, that is funny. I'm sure there was other stuff they were doing. :)

There was. They have some extra classes. They have an abstraction of a DOM Element.... A lot less capable than Jack's multi-functional Element though.

brian.moeskau
22 Nov 2006, 5:11 AM
Hey Jack,

Should your releases be coordinated with YUI in the sense that you would communicate when you switch to using their new versions on your side (or do you already do that somewhere)? I usually upgrade to the latest YUI as soon as they put it out, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more prudent to wait for your upgrade releases just in case anything changes (like say, they introduce a bug in their new version that you're not seeing yet). They've had a fair number of 0.12 bugs discussed on the mailing list, so it got me to thinking about whether or not I should be concerned about that. Any thoughts?

jack.slocum
22 Nov 2006, 7:54 AM
I haven't found any yet related to .12 and yui-ext. I only use the utilities though. It makes sense to coordinate though. I wont be releasing every 3 months though. :)

kalebwalton
22 Nov 2006, 8:10 PM
YUI has introduced the EventProvider object which is curiously similar to the yui-ext Observable object. It has caused some conflicts with an extended TreeView of mine as I used the Observable methods to fire some custom events. The signatures used in EventProvider and Observable are very similar (fireDirect method in both) which caused the conflict.

Just an FYI in case anyone else is experiencing some odd problems related to the Observable object.

Keep up the great work Jack!

Animal
23 Nov 2006, 12:26 AM
I was worried this would happen.

YAHOO are obviously aware of Jack's code. I wouldn't say they copy it, but the concepts behind it are sound enough to re-use. Both projects now have an "Element" abstraction, and two different extensible, event-producing base objects. They both have TabPanel/Tab now too, and TYUI are bringing out a Grid.

These might begin to conflict/

There might come a time when yui-ext has to pull out of YUI. Develop the core utility classes (Dom, Event, Anim, DnD) that are now under the YUI packages into specific yui-ext core classes, and go seperate ways.

I see yui-ext winning the battle for developer uptake if this happens which would not be the best use of YAHOO developer's resources. I don't want Jack to be "assimilated", but there does need to be some mutual acknowledgement and coordination. If the current overlap could be removed, and the two parties agree to share code, that would be best of all (for us developers).

jack.slocum
23 Nov 2006, 3:20 AM
They definitely integrated some of my ideas into the latest code. That's the good thing about open source, they are free to do so although I do wish they would have named theirs a little different to prevent conflict and/or confusion.

The good thing about the BSD license is I could actually merge their core utility libraries into yui-ext with no license issues. The negative of course is then I would have to maintain it as well. :)

Euphreme
8 Feb 2007, 1:49 PM
Do we have any news about this issue ? I currently have the treeview vs yui-ext problem and I'm wondering how to fix this ...

I'm not sure I want to recode the yui-ext ... :shock:

Thanks

tryanDLS
8 Feb 2007, 3:14 PM
What issue? The fact that both libraries have a tree component? They're in different namespaces, so there's not going to be a conflict, if that's what you're wondering.

Euphreme
8 Feb 2007, 9:03 PM
Well, by having both included in one html page in IE7 makes the page unavailable.

We've been working on this since the two past days and figured out that when commenting the treeview.js inclusion in the html page that the grid was showing up.

Do you have a working example of a YUI Tree + YUI-Grid in the same page ?

Animal
9 Feb 2007, 12:05 AM
Well, by having both included in one html page in IE7 makes the page unavailable.

We've been working on this since the two past days and figured out that when commenting the treeview.js inclusion in the html page that the grid was showing up.

Do you have a working example of a YUI Tree + YUI-Grid in the same page ?

That shouldn't happen - they are completely seperate things. What exactly is the problem?

Anyway, the Ext Tree will be coming out soon. I'm planning to switch to using that for my TreeViews as soon as it's released.

Euphreme
9 Feb 2007, 5:15 AM
Thank you Animal,

The problem is hard to debug, I'm quite new with IE7 and I'm not used to debug, but I have an alert showing stating that the page cannot be displayed and then, the common IE error page.

But I'm glad to see that we'll see a tree component appear soon.

- Pascal