PDA

View Full Version : Speed decrease in big projects ?

Rushleader
28 May 2009, 12:39 AM
Hey everyone ,

I've started working with EXTJS a few weeks ago , and we got an assignment for school in which we'd like to use EXTJS. The project is a lightweight photogallery.

so my question is :
Does the speed decrease a lot if there are something like 10.000 photo's in the gallery (which we think is quite reasonable) ?

Don't know if there was a post bout this before , so if there could someone send the link ?

well thanks anyway ,

conorarmstrong
28 May 2009, 2:44 AM
depends how you write your application.

if you're going to do something ridiculous like load 10000 rows into a grid containing images then yes.

Rushleader
28 May 2009, 2:59 AM
well okay , its going to be a photogallery so there will be a lot of pictures there :P so yes .. i think itll go slow then ... =.= thanks anyway

conorarmstrong
28 May 2009, 3:38 AM
that's not to say it can't be done.

all I'm saying is that you just need to be sensible about how you code your solution.

Rushleader
28 May 2009, 3:45 AM
i know it can be done , but one of our points we want to keep is speed , so we thought about EXTJS because you can make a very nice shell with it , therefor we wanted to know if the speed would be decreased to much.
the problem isnt the programming part, but we just need to keep the speed up.

so thanks anyway for your help

conorarmstrong
28 May 2009, 3:53 AM
Ext's speed isn't the issue. The way you implement the solution is.

micgala
28 May 2009, 6:44 AM
What he means is:

Yes, you can develop that using ext/GXT.

BUT, you have to make sure you use some strategy for dealing with your amount of data.

For example, using some BufferedGrid, or a paging...

Doing this, you can have a pretty much functional (and fast) application.

Regards,
Michel.