PDA

View Full Version : Future plans

Animal
18 Nov 2006, 10:06 AM
Any chance of some kind of roadmap Jack?

I'd like to advance some of the ideas that I've thrown around as suggestions/feature requests, but I don't want to waste my time by writing something totally homespun to find you have a great design in mind, and produce it!

I was wondering what the TaskBar will be?

The more I think about how I'll be using the YUI and yui-ext classes in my application, and how my bosses want it to look and feel, the more I realize that it will be desktop-like.

I've been looking at TIBCO since it was on Ajaxian earlier today, and while it doesn't look good, the maximizable, minimizable windows are an excellent concept.

I'm considering extending the Toolbar class to accomodate special instances of ToolbarButtons which are attached to BasicDialogs. BasicDialogs could be registered with an instance of Toolbar, and have a button appear to represent them. Is this the kind of thing the TaskBar is planned to be?

I also very much like this idea of "undocking" ContentPanels from their Regions into BasicDialogs which can be then moved around, resized and possibly minimized into the Region's tool area. I can work on that in my spare time.

jbowman
18 Nov 2006, 10:50 AM
A tool bar turned into a task bar shouldn't be too hard, the buttons would basically just be set to call functions like myDialog.show(this);

zquirm
18 Nov 2006, 11:13 AM
actually...it would be great to see a roadmap in print...either in the forum or a link on your blog. Is there any way you could post and continue to update the lists of what's coming in .33 and .34 etc?

I would love to be able to always see what's yet to come.

jack.slocum
18 Nov 2006, 11:55 AM
Animal, the full desktop like UI is something I have thought about but right now it's priority isn't very high. The main reason is so few people have requested it and it is a lot of work. Obviously if someone decided to sponsored it that would be a different story.

Zquirm, that really is the main reason I haven't published any kind of roadmap. For one, it takes longer to make roadmaps than to develop code (at least for me, hehe). But the primary reason is I am hoping that soon, development can be partially driven by some kind of sponsorship or donations. If someone is willing to pay for X feature, it would obviously be top priority and my roadmap would be shot. I think of a roadmap as a promise and I don't like to make promises that I might not be able to keep.

Animal, the TaskPanel I was thinking about making is a panel similar to my documents/windows explorer (when folders isn't visible) with the collapsing regions of links for actions on the side.

thesilentman
5 May 2007, 6:41 PM
I'd just like to follow up on the taskbar thing.
Is there going to be development in that direction anytime soon?

brian.moeskau
6 May 2007, 2:03 AM
Let me look into the Magic 8-Ball...

"All signs point to Yes"

:)

jay@moduscreate.com
6 May 2007, 6:47 AM
i'd like to see tutorials built into the doc base. any chance of that happening?

JasonMichael
6 May 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm with Animal in hoping that js-ext will evolve to being able to be a full desktop like UI. I think in time, we'll all need to bring it to this type of functionality to be competitive with all the other commercial and private-not-for-sale products offering this. I would love to see the panels be detachable into dialogs that can be dragged around the screen. I still hope to be able to create a nice calendar widget that looks like Outlook's calendar GUI, but be able to drag-and-drop blocks of time, without needing to type them in start/end times.

Jason

thesilentman
6 May 2007, 11:33 AM
Yep, count me in on that, too.

jay@moduscreate.com
6 May 2007, 4:17 PM
Also, i'd like to see it evolve and divorce itself from other frameworks. :)

jack.slocum
7 May 2007, 4:27 AM
Full desktop like functionality will be in Ext 2.0. In fact, I already have a working prototype. :)

2.0 will feature built in support for deferred component initialization, rendering and layouts. There are new classes such as Panel, Window, TabPanel (finally upgraded) and Viewport. There are integrated layout managers - FitLayout, CardLayout, AutoLayout and a new version of BorderLayout. All panels and windows also support integrated buttons, tools (top corner buttons) and toolbars on top and bottom similar to the grid.

Here's a code sample:

var win = new Ext.Window({
width:800,
layout: 'fit', // shortcut for Ext.layout.FitLayout
collapsible:true,
title:"Nested Tabs Panel",
buttons : [{ // add buttons inline
text:'Submit'
}],
tbar : [{ // create and assign toolbars inline
text: 'Toolbar Button1'
},{
text: 'Toolbar Button2'
}],
items: new Ext.TabPanel2({ // nested containers inline
id:'tabs',
activeItem:0,
resizeTabs:true,
tabWidth:100,
items:[{ // add tab items inline, these become Ext.Panels
title:'Text Tab 1',
elements:'body',
autoScroll:true
},{
title:'Text Tab 2',
html:'<p>Some Content</p>',
elements:'body'
},{
title:'Text Tab 3',
closable:true
},{
title:'Text Tab 4',
}
]
}),
renderTo: document.body // inline render
});
win.show();

Also, all container elements (e.g. a Window or Panel) do managed deferred rendering of child components. This means no more creating temp elements on the body. All containers support different types of layouts and nesting of containers/layouts. You add components to a container and set a layout and it will manage layout and rendering of those components at the right time into the right element. It also supports nesting container and nested layouts internally, so no more NestedLayoutPanels or any of that stuff.

Another code sample:

var vp = new Ext.Viewport({
layout: 'border',
items:[{
region:'west',
el: 'nav',
title:'Navigation',
autoScroll:true,
width:200,
collapsible:true,
split:true
},{
region:'north',
el:'header',
height:100
},
new Ext.TabPanel2({
region:'center',
id:'tabs',
activeItem:0,
items:[{
title:'XTrack Home',
autoScroll:true,
el: 'home'
},{
title:'My History',
}
]
})
]
});

All this stuff is implemented and working. 2.0 is well underway and being worked on concurrently with 1.1. I hope to have a version in SVN soon.

thesilentman
7 May 2007, 4:35 AM
Hello Jack,

I know it's difficult to say but do you have any (even wide ranged) timeframe on when we could expect this monster (2.0 I mean)?

cdomigan
7 May 2007, 2:28 PM
Holy Jack, that looks awesome =D>

KimH
12 May 2007, 7:23 AM
Any chance we could have tab drag'n'drop like the drag'n'drop functionality in Eclipse? B) Maybe even perspectives....