PDA

View Full Version : user extensions for Core

andycramb
22 Jun 2009, 1:05 PM
Having recently done some work on jquery and MooTools I noticed that they had a central repositry for some plugins and extensions
I noticed in Joe's thread (http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71051)he has set up http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/
Is this where we can upload our extensions to as long as it has the correct license?
Are we using this going forward as it would be great to have one repositry
It would also be ideal if we could have a central place for all the demos that will be created. I have never used the Google repositry before so I am assuming we can use http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/to place links to demos from the uploaded extensions?

I think its worth stickying on the Core forum where we can centrally place our extensions and examples ?

Joe
22 Jun 2009, 2:02 PM
The reason I have been lagging on posting a link to the SVN is I wanted to add a few controls and build the related site for examples before making a post on it, but I guess there is no need for that just yet. Input from others on what to include on such a site would be good in developing it.

So here is the SVN Link as an official announcement ...

SNV: http://code.google.com/p/extjscoremitux/

Other persons willing to become members or owners would be welcomed.

Note: I have populated the SVN with a few controls that people were nice enough to post on this site.

I do follow the forums, so just make a post or PM me any ideas, questions or requests in relation to the SVN or related examples/demo/doc site.

hello2008
22 Jun 2009, 6:23 PM
good work, I have one suggestion:

Could you please add the whole example files into the central repositry? currently there is only js class file being archived, but some codes of Ext.ux reference to those styles in css file, so I think at least the related css file should be included.

mystix
23 Jun 2009, 12:10 AM
[ stickied this thread ]
have fun :)

mankz
23 Jun 2009, 1:19 AM
@Joe: Like hello2008 said, we need a folder structure for each UX:

eg.

Ext.ux.FingerMenu ->
|- js
|- css
|- example
|- css
|- js
index.html

Something like that..?

Joe
23 Jun 2009, 5:18 AM
I been thinking on that ...

I started with examples in the SVN but since they don't seem to be able to run from the SVN library or code library site .. I was thinking they may not belong in the SVN in all.

But then look at ExtJS, they put the examples in there, so when you pull down the library - you get the examples which can be run locally.

If the basic ExtJS model is used for the SVN - the tree would look something like the one shown below.

I am thinking we may want to use this structure and have all the source in a proper tree for the purpose of running docs on them.

SVN ->
|- source
|- examples
then maybe ..
|- docs

More thoughts ... we don't have an "all" css file. Some css files / images are needed for the actual control and others needed for examples (many times). I also think when we put out ux controls we should organized the files in a way that puts the css/images/js files in one place for the control .. and the css/images for any examples in another location so it is easy to pull out the controls and reuse them.

I am open to any structure and will update the SVN accordingly as desired.

Your thoughts?

hello2008
25 Jun 2009, 8:15 AM
good discussion, in my opinion we should follow the structure of official Ext Core, and actually our web controls only belong to folder of 'examples', like some default demos in this folder.

as for the sub folders of each implementation, maybe keep it simple is a good choice, eg:
[lightbox]
|- images
|- html file
|- css file
|- js file

well, we may have more choice to keep a convention. ;)

Joe
25 Jun 2009, 3:11 PM
We may consider using the ux repository.

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205670

I am setup an an author there and have posted a few components. Honorable SamuraiJack1 has agreed to this and mentioned having already setup a ExtCoreX namespace. May be some renaming of controls, etc to get it to fit in nice.

Anyone interested in also signing up as an author and working with that site to see if you agree it is better than google SVN.

What is nice is the ability to post examples and the doc creation processing rocks too.

Note: I'll be in and out for a week, so may not respond for a while.

Your thoughts?

andycramb
26 Jun 2009, 4:16 AM
This has the obvious benefit of already being established
We would not have to reinvent the wheel
It would seem a natural extension to have the core ux stuff up there and clearly distinguished from the main library
It would be ideal to have all Ext extensions in the one place
This would save a lot of people a lot of hassle
I also noticed a thread by Dave sanders who was looking to organise a central repositry for any themes that have been and would be created

I will update his thread (http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72503)to let him know of this discussion

Dave.Sanders
26 Jun 2009, 5:48 AM
Yes, thanks Andy - there seems to be a lot of people wanting to organize everything, and I'm all for it. I only posted up my github repository (extjs-contrib) because I hadn't readily found something else, and frankly, I must not have searched well enough because there are at least two others.

My opinion is that there should be one agreed upon repository, that it should be managed by multiple people (the individual authors if possible, which I think SamuraiJack's is?) and that whatever scheme you come up with also includes themes. Another optional feature, but maybe not important would be to have separate 2.2.1 and 3.0 sections.

Also, I think having an examples section for the standard ExtJs is important too. Saki has his of course, and I have set one up in a different way on my codecooks.com site here: http://codecooks.com/storage/codecooks/index.html I've engineered mine to work completely off of data files and it requires no server side code to run (unless a specific example needs it for an ajax call) so its portable to any web server or file system.

Another concern is quality, some of the ux I saw are just dropped into the folder and don't contain much, if any documentation or even a description about what it does. Others are beautifully documented and have working examples and so on. IF there is a "curator" and manager of the ux repository, then I think they should apply some standards and request devs do at least a minimal amount of documentation / description before it goes into the repo. However, if its open contribution then this won't be enforceable and we the users will just have to ferret out the good ones and fix them up as time allows.

Finally, unless the repo is going to have its own bugtracking / forums, then I'd suggest that it be easy to point people to the ExtJs forum posting about the ux / theme, etc. That way people browsing the repo can easily report bugs and ask questions.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, glad someone else is working on this and let me know what I can do to help. I'll happily upload Slate 3 progress and my ThemeTester utility to whatever repository I'm pointed at, and then shut down extjs-contrib to avoid confusion.

Cheers
D

SamuraiJack1
29 Jun 2009, 7:51 AM
Personally, I've switched to the OpenJSAN (http://openjsan.org/) packaging standard.

It allows me to organize my js code in the packages and then having those packages installed in my system. So no more evil "include a copy of everything into each project".

JSAN distribution looks like:

|- lib/
|- Ext/
|- ux/
|- event/
|- Broadcast.js
|- static/
|- whatever..
|- doc/
|- docs..
|- t/
|- 010_unit_test1.t.js
|- 020_unit_test2.t.js
|- 030_unit_test3.t.js
|- README
|- Build.PL
|- MANIFEST
Note unit tests.

Examples of openjsan distributions:

http://github.com/SamuraiJack/task-extjs/tree/master
http://joose-js.googlecode.com/svn/branches/mutability/
http://github.com/SamuraiJack/test.run/tree/master

After installation the example above will be copied into /usr/lib/local/jsan (or c:\JSAN on windows) as

|- lib/
|- Ext/
|- ux/
|- event/
|- Broadcast.js
|- Broadcast/
|- static/
|- whatever..
OpenJSAN infrastructure is currently in alpha stage, so I'm not proposing it for everyone yet. After it will mature any OpenJSAN distribution will be installable locally with the command line:

jsan install My.JS.Distribution(which will also issue a testing in all browsers available in the system)

Joe
30 Jun 2009, 1:11 PM
I like the structure.

When I return from vacation and become active again ... I'll check back on this post / others replies and we can determine if ExtJS Core MIT Controls Library should move to the ux repository / use that structure, etc.

I like the ux site because the framework and examples provided all include comments that turn into docs, live links, author details, links to a forum entry for discussion and clear license details.

The site also provides an authors sandbox area to post examples in a common way and in a common location - very nice!

These are some of the reasons I suggest using the ux site for the repository.

The only downside I can see for our use is that the google SVN is designed for MIT only licensed controls and the owners can enforce this. The ux site is not designed for such a purpose as it is more open. That is far from a show stopper, just thinking out loud / providing discussion items.

Thanks for creating / hosting / supporting that site Samurai Jack!

Joe
20 Jul 2009, 5:56 AM
As of now, my thought is to move this SVN content into the ux repository.

Does anyone have an objection to that?

Note: We can not assure MIT license on everything included here like we can in our personal SVN. So using the ux repository may result in having to review / assure what you want to use is also MIT. If we find there are too many non MIT entries or any other issues arise - we can always consider a move back. I'll keep the other SVN live if we do move over just i case (and update SVN site text accordingly).

I'll let this post sit for a bit .. to give time for existing members / interested parties to respond. Based on responses (or no reponse) I'll take action in about a week.

I agree this should be a group effort as all open source ventures should be. I made all three interested parties (members of the SVN) as owners so you can update the SVN site as needed as well.

If anyone else wants to become a ux repository author and help manage / document / provide examples and publish ux controls, please chime in.

Thanks

andycramb
23 Jul 2009, 12:49 AM
Hey Joe, hope you had a good vacation.

No objections. There are quite a few benefits to using the ux repositry so I think we should go ahead with it.

I have an extension ready to go in to the ux repositry when you have it set up

Let me know if I can provide any help

Joe
24 Jul 2009, 5:11 AM
@andycramb, Have you setup an Authors account in the ux repository? If not and you have time, please create an authors account and upload your controls / examples into that area (ExtCoreX I am pretty sure). Honorable SamuraiJack1 is always helpful in working with the ux.

I want to have live examples and assure the documentation creation comments are in there before I push up the ux controls in the repository. Some are pretty set, but not all.

@any authors
If any of the original authors that want to sign up as an Author in the ux repository and upload your controls, so you are publisher and the examples are in your authors area, etc - that would naturally be great. Baring that happening, I'll do the best I can in my free time to get the other ones published (while also working to get ones I have created in ship shape).

@all

Thanks to all that contribute.

Dave.Sanders
24 Jul 2009, 5:16 AM
Is there going to be room in the repo for themes? Or are you only looking to hold ux?

mjlecomte
24 Jul 2009, 7:35 AM
In theory you could create a shared ux repo acct. So create an author called "core" for example with some password. Then share that password with whomever you deem appropriate. Then you would be able to share the modification rights to whatever the author "core" put in the repo.

Joe
24 Jul 2009, 1:21 PM
@Dave.Sanders
SamuraiJack1 is the host of the ux repository and he could answer your question on the usage of the ux repository for themes.

@mjlecomte
It seems logical to use a common account so the Author name is generic in the URL samples, etc. I generally add a note that I published in addition to the Author details to help explain why the URL's have another persons author name from the author of the ux. But having a common name for author is cleaner.

If SamuraiJack1 is ok with this approach then I am as well. I'll send a PM pointing to this thread and ask for his blessing on doing so.

SamuraiJack1
3 Aug 2009, 4:06 AM
Is there going to be room in the repo for themes? Or are you only looking to hold ux?

Sure, no problems to hold themes in the ux repo.

SamuraiJack1
3 Aug 2009, 4:09 AM
If SamuraiJack1 is ok with this approach then I am as well. I'll send a PM pointing to this thread and ask for his blessing on doing so.

Go ahead guys, I'm ready to help with any issues regarding uxrepo itself.

atma
12 Jan 2010, 12:20 PM
Just another lightbox for Ext Core http://code.google.com/p/extbox/.
Supports single photos, grouped photos, iframes, ajax and inline content.

Mycoding
10 May 2011, 10:07 AM
Simple Ext Core Window.
Can be panel and window.
Options:drag and resize.
http://code.google.com/p/ext-core-window/

dawesi
27 Oct 2011, 7:34 PM
The simple truth is that there isn't just one repository for ux's and ui's, and probably never will be.

This conversation has been going on for four years, and no-one can agree how it should be organised, who should be in control of it or whatever. The reality is that many have tried and failed, because everyone wants different things, and the licences prohibit it.

So put your ux wherever you like, and as long as it's on the extensions forum, people will see it.

I have also created a site for this purpose (around the 2.x/3.x mark) and was told that to hold off by Sencha (ExtJS at the time) as they where building one... which never saw the light of day, and to be honest it's a violation of the licence to host a ux site anyway (another issue that was never resolved) as ux's are quite often variants of licenced code (or include it directly), hense why many of us built our own sites.

GitHub is the official sanctioned UX repository. (as I've been told be Sencha people), but people have ux's in google, codeplex, private svn, public svn.

The problem isn't the lack of repositories, it's the lack of an interface to find them, and the fact that there are multiple naming standards, and multiple naming and versioning standards (just like every other community out there) and that's OK, we are all different.. senchaforge.org was about to be launched last year and I was told to holdoff on that which is exactly what you are talking about. Abe gave me a licence to build senchaworld.com and senchaforge.org but it was Sencha that became the bottleneck as they kept telling me they where going to do it.

There is around seven attempts still online that are hosting ux's. All of them are valid. People used to post their extension on the wiki, and that worked really well, but once version 3 came out, people got lazy and stopped taking 20 seconds to add their extension. Now we have an extensions forum, which works ok, but also has it's limits (depending on your oppinion).

See also this forum post:
SenchaWorld.com (beta) Online (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?136710-SenchaWorld.com-(beta)-Online)