PDA

View Full Version : Creating a wizard - Series of steps with GXT

karansardana
15 Sep 2009, 10:30 PM
Scenario is - The user needs to enter and submit a lot of
information, & the mechanism to collect such information is often
organized into many screens with next/previous/finish buttons.

Is there any way in which I can create this with GXT?

P.S - We would need the screens to interact with each other i.e. pass on
data back & forth; so, essentially, we could say, each of the screens
would have the complete data access.

Thanks,
Karan

Animal
15 Sep 2009, 11:46 PM
I have thought for a long time now that this "wizard" idea is a really, really BAD user interface.

It's usually just a tedious splitting up of a linear form into separate screens with no other effect than to make the user keep selecting "Next screen", and to hide any previous answers so that the user forgets what he/she has entered.

If there are multiple different paths through a set of questions, then I can see the utility, but the way 90% of people implement "wizards", they are a complete waste of time.

karansardana
16 Sep 2009, 1:16 AM
It is just the categorization i.e. scenario is that a user firstly needs to search for a certain set of clients, and then he/she has to go to the next screen doing a certain set of things with the selected set of clients.

Now, as per you, if I put everything on a single form, it would be a mess and would discourage the user to even revisit this page of ours.

Categorizing each and every step delineates separate processes/areas perfectly that would enhance the customer experience as different screens would speak for themselves.

vinicius.rabelo
16 Sep 2009, 4:13 AM
This can to help you:
http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38644

modern-bride
7 Oct 2009, 9:01 AM
Thanks for posting that link!