PDA

View Full Version : Classic ASP

Remy
16 Oct 2009, 6:36 AM
Hi all,

I've been absent from the ExtJS scene due to contractual obligations and only get to check up on the community every now and then. Am keen to get back into development when my current commitments expire (hopefully around January). I was wondering if anyone has or has considered a Classic ASP stack? I know the number of Classic ASP users is dwindling and I should probably learn PHP or other but just wondered if anyone has tackled this or if there's a market for it?

cheers,
Remy

isit.gd
16 Oct 2009, 8:07 AM
get onto .net 3.5 :)

crazy loon!!

Remy
16 Oct 2009, 1:51 PM
Thing is, I don't need all the assemblies and intelligence that it brings, ASP is capable (broadly) of doing everything that PHP can do, it's just that it's market moved to .Net. I have no need for .Net and (dinosaur that I am) can do everything I want and need in ASP.

I suspect I will convert to PHP before .Net, I work for enterprise based companies who have adopted MS technologies to the hilt and I'm no naysayer of MS tech but when it comes to web apps and javascript client libraries, I feel that .Net adds superflous layers.

Each to their own and I'd be happy to hear from folk with opinions on where I'm wrong. :">

gasgas
15 Mar 2010, 12:03 PM
Hello,

I am looking for and ASP classic solution as well!! Did you come up with anyideas or work?

thank you

moegal
15 Mar 2010, 12:22 PM
I am using classic asp. Not interested in .net at all, doing some things in php. I am interested.

Marty

elishnevsky
31 Mar 2010, 6:41 AM
Stop using classic ASP, it's junk. Give ASP.NET MVC a try. I have written an Ext.Direct implementation for it. Check it out here: http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72245

Remy
31 Mar 2010, 6:50 AM
Is PHP also junk?

elishnevsky
31 Mar 2010, 6:51 AM
I don't know PHP.

dlbjr
31 Mar 2010, 7:25 AM
Something to try

alphadogg
31 Mar 2010, 7:38 AM
"ASP vs. ASP.NET" is just as pointless debating something like "Hammer vs. Power Nailer".

Have most carpenters moved to using a power nailer? Yes. Is it "cooler"? Yes. Is it "better"? Not necessarily. It certainly isn't a fit for all situations and all skill levels. Is it necessary? Depends. Many crews won't hire you if you refuse to use one, but you certainly can do some awesome work with "just a hammer". Is it easier to hurt yourself with a hammer? In some ways yes, because any moron thinks they can pick up a hammer. But, with a power nailer, you may be safer, but when you get hurt, you get really hurt!

On the flipside, Remy, comparing Classic ASP to PHP is dangerous. Microsoft wants to force march the industry through yet another technology refresh and education cycle with newer certifications. That doesn't exist with PHP.