PDA

View Full Version : Grid with Large number of columns

cruise27
28 Oct 2009, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone,
We have a situation where a grid containing 100+ columns needs to be rendered in our UI. Sometimes the columns can go upto 200 columns. We have tried Buffered Grid, Paging Grid that came with GXT 2.0.1 distribution but the response to load ~100 columns and about 50 rows is pretty slow.. like 12-15 secs.

I heard with GXT 2.1 "LiveGrid" will be released that handle large number of rows. But I am not sure if LiveGrid can handle large number of columns. Can anyone comment on which grid component might be best in my case?

Any help on how we can overcome this hurdle will be appreciated.

Thanks

sven
30 Oct 2009, 1:35 AM
LiveGrid only loads the rows dynamically.

I suggest to rethink the application design. It is impossible to see 100 columns at once. Also does it really make sense to display that much information at once?

If you really need this, you should extend GridView and render only the columns that are visible. During horizontal scrolling, you render the next one. But i dont suggest to do this.

cruise27
30 Oct 2009, 7:13 AM
Sven,
Thanks for the response. THe objects we render are so big and contain a lot of columns. Hence we cannot change the table design. I was afraid that LiveGrid might only cater to lot of rows not columns.
In our case we can get by with less number of rows at any one point of time (with grid pagination the user will load more rows as necessary) but we must display large number of columns in every table render. Please let me know if there is a way around.
Thanks.

k0smita
17 Apr 2010, 2:38 PM
Hi cruise27, have you solved your problem of rendering large number of columns? We also have this problem, rendering lots of single letter columns.

Jose Jeria
18 Apr 2010, 1:18 AM
I would also rethink this application design. Its not exactly user friendly to show so many columns.

Why not instead show the most important columns in the grid and then show the rest of the properties when the row is selected?

k0smita
18 Apr 2010, 3:24 PM
Hi, my application is for some specific scientific field, we look and interact with such tables for ages. Usually we see up to few hundreds columns at a time, then we scroll to see other few hundreds (so "Column Buffered Grid View" would fit well).

I just found this http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?77908-TableGridView-lightweight-GridView-based-upon-a-lt-table-gt so probably I will be trying with other js libraries, at least for the grid.