PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5 [x64 linux]

chugadie
28 Jun 2007, 7:02 AM
So, none of the demos seem to work (well) with Firefox 1.5. A lot of the base YUI stuff doesn't work in FF1.5 either, even tho both projects list firefox 1.5 as a supported browser. What's even worse about lack of FF1.5 support is that there doesn't seem to be any graceful degrading of any technology in the demos. Maybe they're not programmed to gracefully degrade?

Is this support limited to FF1.5 on some form of Windows? Is ext js another "we're cross platform but we're really only win9x" type of library?

Also, links on the top of the site are black on a dark blue background in FF1.5

mystix
28 Jun 2007, 7:54 AM
So, none of the demos seem to work (well) with Firefox 1.5. A lot of the base YUI stuff doesn't work in FF1.5 either, even tho both projects list firefox 1.5 as a supported browser.which ones? i just did a fresh install of FF1.5.0.12, went to the Ext 1.1 beta1 docs page (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext/docs/index.html), clicked through all the examples, and other than some minor display issues while editing with the EditorGrid demo, everything else works (well) with FF1.5.

Is this support limited to FF1.5 on some form of Windows? Is ext js another "we're cross platform but we're really only win9x" type of library?I'm running FF1.5.0.12 alongside FF2.0.0.4, on a WinXP SP2 MCE laptop, and the demos are running fine in both FF versions. What version of ms-win are you running, and what's the exact FF1.5 build no you're using?

Also, links on the top of the site are black on a dark blue background in FF1.5I'm not seeing this at all. Screenshot?

chugadie
28 Jun 2007, 11:01 AM
Okay, I updated to 1.5.0.12 and... things are a tiny tiny bit better. Just enough better so that I can tell what's going on. It's definately animations. I can now see the hello world dialog starting to oepn then hang. Before it just looked like a blue box .. then the open dialog. There was only about 1 frame of animation. Now there about 3-4 in a row (smooth) then hanging for a long time - enough to make me switch tabs and wait for it - before finishing the animation.

Trees are still a major problem, i can close nodes and still see, click on and dragn their contents. Only waiting a long time or dragging a sub-node will cause the tree to refresh and show that it is fully closed. When I close a node the little plus box icon turns into a plus, folder icon changes to a closed folder, but i can still see and move around all the child nodes. Static tree nodes seem to be fine, like the left-hand navigation. Dynamic loads are the problematic ones. Straight YUI dynamic and static trees seem to be fine.

Is there a way to turn off the animations?

I've tried to switching the underlying library and jQuery gives minute benefits, they're hard to describe but it just feelds a tiny bit more responsive. I went to jquery site to try to find some demos, but it doesn't look like they have any.

efege
28 Jun 2007, 12:28 PM
I haven't noticed any problems with the Ext demos, using Firefox 1.5.0.x both on Windows and Linux.

Have you used Ext with other browsers in that same machine? IE? Firefox 2? Any difference?

What's your OS?

mystix
28 Jun 2007, 6:56 PM
I haven't noticed any problems with the Ext demos, using Firefox 1.5.0.x both on Windows and Linux.

me neither. and i tried all the examples using FF1.5.0.12.

@chugadie, what version of ms-win are you on?
a listing of ur pc specs would be helpful too.

jack.slocum
29 Jun 2007, 12:29 AM
Also, those delays you are seeing - do you have FireBug installed and enabled? If yes, there is a bug in FireBug that causes the cpu to spike when the page loads. That could also cause issues on first load.

Also, you might want to consider changing the "tone" in your posts. Being disrespectful or discourteous is a not a good way to accomplish anything. There are many nice people in these forums who are willing to spend their time helping and answering questions.

chugadie
29 Jun 2007, 8:36 AM
It's not firebug or any extensions, I didn't have firebug installed until I ran into these problems. Anways, I got on another computer with FF 1.5.0 and it works fine there. I see how everything is supposed to work and it is definitely *all* animation that brings everything to a griding halt. It doesn't matter if the page has been loaded for a few minutes or not. All these blue growing boxes and trees that slide up and down do not work on my home firefox machine. I can't find anyone else with the problem, but I also cannot find anyone on x86_64 linux using FF1.5.0. This might be a pervasive problem with all x86_64 buils of Firefox on linux but I can't tell. Konqueror does not work.

Again, just a question, is there a way to turn the animation off?

mystix
29 Jun 2007, 9:17 AM
wow... and all along you had me thinking you were on ms-win... 8-|

for starters, to turn off animation for the simple Hello World BasicDialog example (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext-1.1-beta2/examples/dialog/hello.html), you can check out the animateTarget (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext-1.1-beta2/docs/output/Ext.BasicDialog.html#config-animateTarget) config option.

Konqueror does not work.search the forums for thread(s) regarding konquerer - i know i've come across a thread by someone who's made it work.

This might be a pervasive problem with all x86_64 buils of Firefox on linux but I can't tell.you mean FF1.5.x builds on x86_64 linux boxes. if you don't mind, try the examples on FF2.0.0.4 on your x86_64 linux box and let us know how that turns out.

nwelch3
9 Jul 2007, 5:17 AM
Not sure if this is still a problem for you guys, but I ran into the same issue. On FF 1.5.x in x86_64 builds on Linux, the examples don't work. We were testing it with the Trees, but, from what the author of thread was saying, I guess it applies to other examples as well. Using FF 2.0.0.4 x86_64 everything works fine.

Just ran across this thread while trying to find out why some things weren't working and saw the last post asking about FF 2.0.0.4. Does anyone know if there's any sort of workaround for FF 1.5.x x86_64 builds or what might be causing the problem?

mystix
9 Jul 2007, 5:45 AM
very strange indeed...

some questions:

are you running the 1.1-beta2 (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext/docs/) examples?
what is the exact build of FF1.5 you're running? have you tried FF1.5.0.12?
what exactly happens when you run the examples that "don't work"? (e.g. do the animations freeze halfway? etc)
if you don't mind, could you try the Hello World Basic Dialog example (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext-1.1-beta2/examples/dialog/hello.html) with the animateTarget (http://extjs.com/deploy/ext-1.1-beta2/docs/output/Ext.BasicDialog.html#config-animateTarget) option set to false?
have you tried any other examples (other than the Tree examples you mentioned)?

p.s. it might be a bug in the js engine in the FF1.5.x x64 builds, but i can't confirm this. still digging through google for an answer...

eseguin3
9 Jul 2007, 7:50 AM
Responding on behalf of nwelch3,

Yes, I'm running the 1.1-beta2 examples
I'm using firefox 1.5.0.12
The animations generally freeze somewhere in the animation process. Sometimes (in the example of the TreePanel), the tree will correctly collapse and expand a couple times before freezing in the midst. When they freeze, they eventually un-freeze, but it takes around 5 minutes for that to happen.
The Hello World Dialog example doesn't work, even with animateTarget set to false.
The problem happens in Hello World, the Multi-Line prompt (in MessageBox and Progress), Layout Dialog, any of those alert-type boxes that come from the top of the screen that say "You click so-and-so", and a number of other places. Basically, anywhere where there is animation, there is sometimes a problem.

We've temporarily gotten around our Tree problem just by setting animate to false. This is fine for what we're using it for, but animation would be nice to have sometime in the future.

Thank you for spending your time on this : )

mystix
9 Jul 2007, 8:25 AM
just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you can't migrate to FF2.x for x64 linux (which flavour by the way)?

mystix
9 Jul 2007, 9:37 AM
nwelch3 / eseguin3, here's something to try:

try overriding the value of Ext.lib.AnimMgr.fps, setting it from anywhere between 1 and 1000 (the current default value) like so
Ext.lib.AnimMgr.fps = 30;you should include this custom override inline (or in a separate overrides file) immediately after all standard Ext includes and before any other js.

what we're trying to accomplish here is to tweak the animation framerate downwards.
i tried it with a value of 30 and the animation for the basic dialog is still pretty smooth, but then again it's in a windows environment.

let me know how this turns out for you.

eseguin3
9 Jul 2007, 9:52 AM
We need to support that particular version of firefox for our product. And this is in Redhat.

jay@moduscreate.com
9 Jul 2007, 10:24 AM
No javascript framework from what i know is platform dependent.

do other frameworks work well for you? Dojo, mochikit, YUI, jquery, prototype + scriptaculous, mooFX?

eseguin3
12 Jul 2007, 8:59 AM
Sorry that it took me a while to respond, but to answer the questions asked:

I couldn't get "Ext.lib.AnimMgr.fps = 30;" working. No matter where I tried to put it, I was getting
"Ext.lib.AnimMgr has no properties
Ext.lib.AnimMgr.fps = 30;"
If there's something else I should be doing, or somewhere else I should be putting that, let me know.

Responding to djliquidice, I'm not 100% sure if those frameworks work for us or not. I'm not familiar with any but YUI. I can say that Yahoo Mail Beta works fine on my computer though, and that's all in YUI, right?

mystix
12 Jul 2007, 9:53 AM
like i said, you have to include it after ext-all.js and before any of your own code.

<script src='adapter/ext/ext-base.js'>
<script src='ext-all.js'>
<script>
Ext.lib.AnimMgr.fps = 30;
</script>

.works with both 1.1-beta2 and 1.1RC1.

eseguin3
12 Jul 2007, 10:51 AM
I could not get Ext.lib.AnimMgr to work, no matter where I put it. I searched through ext-all.js (and my entire workspace), and couldn't find any reference to it. I did, however, find YAHOO.util.AnimMgr. I changed the fps of that to 30 and then to 10, but it still did not help my problem. I know it changed the fps though because I tried running it on windows and I could definitely tell a difference in the animation.

In linux, nothing seemed to have changed at all.

mystix
12 Jul 2007, 7:31 PM
:((

You didn't mention you were using the YUI adapter. /:)
the 1.1-beta2 / RC1 examples are using ext-base.js and ext-all.js by default.

Ext.lib.AnimMgr is in adapter/ext/ext-base.js.
the YUI equivalent is indeed YAHOO.util.AnimMgr, which is in adapter/yui/ext-yui-adapter.js.

back to the drawing board again i guess. it's looking more and more like a FF1.5 bug though, so you might want to file a bug report with Mozilla regarding this.

you might also want to peek at the source via FireBug and step through the animation code on FF1.5 on your linux box to see if you can find any anomalies.

tip: you should use ext-all-debug.js instead of ext-all.js for debugging.

richard.allen
8 Aug 2007, 6:28 AM
I'm running 64bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The 64bit version of Firefox 1.5 for Linux doesn't work, however, the 32bit version of Firefox 1.5 does work. Sounds to me like an isolated Firefox bug.

Ext is a great product! You guys are doing an exceptional job! Thanks.

mystix
8 Aug 2007, 10:18 AM
thanks for reporting this!

a few more verifications from x64 linux users would be great =)

ethraza
26 Sep 2007, 8:59 PM
Firefox 1.5 64bit is very slowly with Ext. I don't know about 1.5 32bit.
But Firefox 2 and 3 (Beta and only 32bit at the moment) run far best that any other browser.
Update your browser! ;)

ps. The only issue that I can note with Firefox 3 is when we click on a Datepicker... all the screen goes blue and flicking... but click any where to close the Datepicker make the things go back again. But Firefox 3 is in Beta stage so I'll don't cry... for now. :)

stever
27 Sep 2007, 2:35 PM
I don't think the developers of Firefox even support Firefox 1.5 anymore...

JeffHowden
27 Sep 2007, 5:22 PM
I don't think the developers of Firefox even support Firefox 1.5 anymore...

Correct, Firefox 1.5 has not been supported for at least 4 months: http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap

yogurtearl
6 Nov 2007, 10:57 AM
I can confirm that Ext (1.x/2.x) animations don't work in firefox 1.5.0.9 x64 version under Redhat Enterprise Linux 5. Can someone from the Ext team reproduce this firefox bug? Any chance of getting a work around for this issue? I realize this is a browser bug but Ext contains a number of workarounds for browser bugs.

Michael

brian.moeskau
6 Nov 2007, 11:03 AM
I can confirm that Ext (1.x/2.x) animations don't work in firefox 1.5.0.9 x64 version under Redhat Enterprise Linux 5. Can someone from the Ext team reproduce this firefox bug?

Um, not unless anyone happens to have an x64 Redhat 5 machine we can borrow... :-/

yogurtearl
6 Nov 2007, 11:53 AM
I suggest a vmware setup, you could load a RHEL 5 x86_64 image and CENTOS 5 x86_64 image.
You could also use parallels, virtualbox, etc.

Michael

yogurtearl
13 Nov 2007, 7:16 AM
I tracked the problem down to a broken setInterval. It fires the timer callback ~10 times and then stops. Obviously this breaks all sorts of websites and libraries.

I filed a bug in bugzilla.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=403620

Please try this test case on 64 bit Firefox browsers to confirm:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=288495

Is it just Redhat's 64-bit firefox? what about 64-bit firefox on windows?

Michael

brian.moeskau
13 Nov 2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks Michael. BTW, I actually did try to follow up on this. I loaded a RHEL x64 image into Parallels, but it would not run -- the underlying CPU still has to be x64 for it to work apparently, so no dice.

I had a report from someone offline (was it you or a different Michael?) that RHEL comes with a x32 version of FF also, and that that version does not display the issue(s), so his solution was going to be switching to the x32 FF version.

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Nov 2007, 10:40 AM
Your MBP should be a 64Bit Proc. However, the Kernel of OSX needs to be 64Bit as well - which i'm not too sure if 10.4.x is. :-?

brian.moeskau
14 Nov 2007, 1:47 PM
Ha -- I had no idea that the CPU was 64 bit, but indeed, it is. Learn something new every day. :)

I do not claim to be much of a gearhead when it comes to processors, all I know is that I loaded up the RHEL ISO into Parallels and launched it, got the Red Hat install splash page, then got an error saying "64 bit OS is required" or something similar. If someone can clue me in about whether or not it should be able to run on a MacBook Pro I am all ears. As you said, perhaps it's a OSX 10.4 limitation. I won't be getting Leopard until the new Mac Pros come out.