PDA

View Full Version : [CLOSED][3.0.3] Problem with UTF-8 pages



pdchapin
2 Dec 2009, 12:50 PM
I've discovered that if a site is set to display in UTF-8 it can mess up the display at several points. See http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?p=414195#post414195 for a discussion of the problem. This is with 3.0.3. In addition to the button display problem mentioned in the thread, I was also seeing a problem with the close icon and with the icons in htmleditor fields all of which were caused by the same character set issue.

evant
2 Dec 2009, 2:52 PM
It seems as though you're mixing charsets. You include some scripts with UTF8, some with no charset and you set the content type of the page to be ISO.

Perhaps you should clean this up first.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 6:31 AM
Interesting idea, but I've gone and explicitly invoked the UTF-8 character set every where I have a <script tag, with the exception of where I have the Google maps key and I'd rather not do anything but follow their lead there. The problem remains. Please note that this problem did not exist in 2.x.

It still looks like something is being inserted which has a meaning under UTF-8 that wasn't being expected, specifically, it's a displayable character when a blank was expected. It's not clear to me why the <i>...</i> is there is the first place since it doesn't appear to be doing anything useful.

evant
3 Dec 2009, 6:49 AM
What happens if you just leave all the charsets alone? I'm not really convinced this is a bug in Ext, seems more like a browser/encoding issue.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 8:41 AM
I've tried more variations of charsets than I care to think of with no improvement. I find that xajax, which I also use, defaults to UTF-8 and I haven't been able to find where to change that.

I did go back and verify that the v2.2 works as is.

I've also discovered, with the help of Animal, that I could simple remove the <i> </i> from the Ext.Button.buttonTemplate in the ext-all-debug.js file and it now works. I'm not sure, however of what the long term implications of that change are likely to be.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 8:45 AM
I speaketh too quickly. While the button problem when away, I still have the same problem with the htmleditor tool icons and the window close box and who knows what else. There has to be a generic solution to this. I don't want to have to run around hacking everyplace there's a nbsp.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 8:53 AM
I'm just going to go back to 2.2. It works fine and has everything I need. I can't justify the time trying to get 3 to work.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 9:21 AM
Just for a laugh, I tried the page on another system. It works fine there. Same OS. Same browser. There's something odd about my configuration - which is admittedly pretty odd since I've got all kinds of foreign language stuff loaded. Bad news is that it's going to hard for me to figure out where the problem is. The good news is that nobody else is likely to care.

pdchapin
3 Dec 2009, 9:27 AM
It's not my system. I just forgot to roll back the change I made to the ext-all-debug. The htmleditor and window close icon are on other systems as well.

Animal
3 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
It's not an Ext bug. It's a mismatch between what the character encoding is ("character set" is a bad term), and what the server is telling the browser that it is.

pdchapin
17 Dec 2009, 1:25 PM
I'm really confused now. Friday, I successfully proved that the problem was linked to the server in that the same code running with the same version of Extjs didn't generate the same problem on two different servers. Then I came to work on Monday and the problem had disappeared. No idea of why. I did, on Friday, reinstall Extjs on the server causing the problem, but I continued to see the problem the rest of day. The only thing I can think of is that (the previous installation didn't take properly OR there was a minor fix between my downloads of 3.0.3) AND (somehow the problem had been cached somewhere and wasn't cleared until sometime over the weekend).

I find this a very unsatisfying solution, but I'll take it.