PDA

View Full Version : 1.1b2 transform Select to Combobox -- tabindex is lost

AdamDawes
6 Jul 2007, 6:28 AM
If I create an HTML select field and then use Ext.form.Combobox along with the transform config option, the transformed combobox doesn't retain the tabindex value that was applied to my original select field.

I can see that it's creating some new input fields based on the select field I identified, would it be possible to enhance the Combobox code so that the tabindex is transferred along with the other values that it copies? In the meantime can anyone suggest a workaround for this problem?

Thanks,

jack.slocum
6 Jul 2007, 8:21 AM
There is a tabIndex config option for the combobox.

AdamDawes
9 Jul 2007, 4:33 AM
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried this out today but couldn't get it to work. I'm transforming my HTML select field into a combobox as follows:

var fldTestForm_Combo1 = new Ext.form.ComboBox({
transform : 'TestForm_Combo1',
triggerAction : 'all',
typeAhead : true,
width : 128,
tabIndex : 1
});

However the tab index on the resulting combobox is still not set, and when I examine the HTML that was been produced using FireBug, there's no sign of any tabindex attribute being added to any of the combobox elements.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

mystix
9 Jul 2007, 7:03 AM
did some digging and indeed the tabIndex config doesn't work for the ComboBox.
it only works for dynamically created Ext.form.Fields.

here's the current code for the 1.1-beta2 onRender() method in Ext.form.Field
onRender : function(ct, position) {
Ext.form.Field.superclass.onRender.call(this, ct, position);
if (!this.el) { // <== this.el is always defined when transforming existing markup into Ext.form.Fields
// so this block never gets called (and it shouldn't) when transforming markup
var cfg = this.getAutoCreate();
if (!cfg.name) {
cfg.name = this.name || this.id;
}
if (this.inputType) {
cfg.type = this.inputType;
}
if (this.tabIndex !== undefined) {
cfg.tabIndex = this.tabIndex;
}
this.el = ct.createChild(cfg, position);
} // <== end check for non-existence of this.el
var type = this.el.dom.type;
if (type) {
if (type == 'password') {
type = 'text';
}
this.el.addClass('x-form-'+type);
}
if (this.readOnly) {
this.el.dom.readOnly = true;
}

this.el.addClass([this.fieldClass, this.cls]);
this.initValue();
}all Ext.form.Fields (except the ComboBox) modify existing markup by adding Ext classes / wrapping Ext <div>s around the original markup, so the original tabIndex attribute and any other existing attributes are preserved.

the ComboBox is unique because it doesn't modify the <select> field -- it replaces it completely during the "transformation", hence the tabIndex, along with all other custom attributes, are lost during the "transformation" (except for value, text, and name).

a simple workaround for your case would be to make use of the autoCreate config option, like so
var fldTestForm_Combo1 = new Ext.form.ComboBox({
transform : 'TestForm_Combo1',
triggerAction : 'all',
typeAhead : true,
width : 128,
autoCreate: {tag: 'input', type: 'text', size: '24', autocomplete: 'off', tabIndex: '99999'}
});

AdamDawes
10 Jul 2007, 1:12 AM
Hi Marc,

That's the ticket -- using autoCreate it works perfectly -- many thanks!

Is this something that will be fixed at some stage in the underlying code -- either to preserve the tabindex of the original select field, or to implement the tabIndex config option (or both)?

mystix
10 Jul 2007, 1:28 AM
can't say for sure. i'll have to refer you to jack himself :)

on a sidenote, i'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or not, but i'm glad it's working for you now. :D

AdamDawes
10 Jul 2007, 1:37 AM
I wasn't sure whether to describe it as a bug or not either, there's nothing in the documentation that says it *should* retain the tab index, but all the other Ext controls I've used retained it perfectly (for the reasons you've detailed above) so it at least seems to be an inconsistency.

Never mind, time to move on to my project's next challenge now -- thanks once again for your help!

mystix
10 Jul 2007, 3:38 AM
i assure you, i do see your point. perhaps you should put this up as a feature request in the prerelease builds / general forum. call it "[Feature request] tabIndex config for ComboBoxes created from markup" or something, and let's see what jack / brian has to say on the issue.

in the meantime, all the best for your project :)

AdamDawes
10 Jul 2007, 3:52 AM
Request posted. :)

jack.slocum
10 Jul 2007, 7:50 PM
I made a change for the next release that will correct this issue.

AdamDawes
10 Jul 2007, 11:32 PM
That's fantastic Jack -- many thanks!