PDA

View Full Version : Designer first findings..

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 2:28 AM
Now first of all I must admit that all my comments are based on a release of which I do not know if it is going to be the final one. I was able to download this from the Ext website, but found that a few minutes later the download pages had disappeared again. This is all based on ExtDesigner-1.0.0-windows-installer.exe

First of all, Designer looks very nice and will definitely save me a *lot* of time!

Few things:

- why (or rather when) are the help pages going to be available through the application?
- does an update of the software require me to get one of our administrators to do so each time? Because you need admin privileges in order to install designer too ( I know that this is due to Air, but it still sucks IMHO..)
- I can't delete an item on the canvas by simply selecting it and then pressing the 'delete' key.. Any reason for this?
- it seems to me the 'Yes' and 'No' buttons are reversed when you are asked for a confirmation, but that just might be me. Also it is not immediately clear to me which of the buttons is the highlighted (default) one..
- what's with the 'mock' directory created on saving a project?
- the export project button on the lower right of the canvas only works once a project has been saved once..

That's it for now :D

update: I now have the latest ( and greatest?) version installed. All issues remain.

abe.elias
23 Mar 2010, 2:39 AM
- why (or rather when) are the help pages going to be available through the application?

Formal docs are coming. We are going to be posting sample .xds files along with videos that explain how to get started with the designer, how to export and extend functionality in your IDE of choice, etc.

- I can't delete an item on the canvas by simply selecting it and then pressing the 'delete' key.. Any reason for this?

It's a feature request that we'll take under advisement. Try using the context menu in the component tree.

it seems to me the 'Yes' and 'No' buttons are reversed when you are asked for a confirmation, but that just might be me. Also it is not immediately clear to me which of the buttons is the highlighted (default) one..

Let us know which ones, etc.

what's with the 'mock' directory created on saving a project?

It's a directory that you can point your browser to to get a rendered components.

the export project button on the lower right of the canvas only works once a project has been saved once

This is by design.

deccard
23 Mar 2010, 2:46 AM
I get an error [attached]

Just got this from clicking on the top toolbar menu items [file,edit,components,attachments,help] - does it every time.

Windows 7 [64 bit].

Deccard.

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 2:46 AM
- does an update of the software require me to get one of our administrators to do so each time? Because you need admin privileges in order to install designer too ( I know that this is due to Air, but it still sucks IMHO..)

You should not need Administrator rights to install the Designer. Are you under some sort of group policy?

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 3:12 AM
I get the same error, clicking in menu-items, but not reproducable, XP 32bit :((

Relaunch the app and this should be fixed.

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 3:12 AM
I get an error [attached]

Just got this from clicking on the top toolbar menu items [file,edit,components,attachments,help] - does it every time.

Windows 7 [64 bit].

Deccard.

Relaunch the app and this should be fixed.

deccard
23 Mar 2010, 3:22 AM
Same here.... :(

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 3:33 AM
Same here.... :(

Sorry guys, it's late here. Fixed.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 3:36 AM
You should not need Administrator rights to install the Designer. Are you under some sort of group policy?

Could be, not sure.. fact is that this is what is being said in the official (online) Air documentation on installing Air applications:

On Mac OS, to install or update an AIR application, the user needs to have adequate system privileges to install to the application directory (and administrative privileges if the application needs to update the runtime). On Windows, a user needs to have administrative privileges.

Sounds like I *do* need them..

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 3:42 AM
Could be, not sure.. fact is that this is what is being said in the official (online) Air documentation on installing Air applications:

On Mac OS, to install or update an AIR application, the user needs to have adequate system privileges to install to the application directory (and administrative privileges if the application needs to update the runtime). On Windows, a user needs to have administrative privileges.

Sounds like I *do* need them..

The Designer is not an AIR application. You do not need Administrator rights to install the designer.

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 3:45 AM
Moar...
1. Please make the error-text "copy-able" with Ctrl-C for easier bug-reporting (see attachment, green arrow)
I plan on adding the ability to submit a report directly from the interface.

2. How can I see currently installed update-level?
It downloaded and installed some update before but menu Help -> About still says 1.0.0
This is something that will be straightened out very quickly (within the week). There are multiple different types of "versions" of different internal libraries we are using for the designer.

3. Do I have enter my licence-key somewhere or will this happen automatically via your server?
This will happen automatically via the server. Our sales accountants will be linking everyones forum accounts with the purchased licenses. Once this happens you will be able to retrieve the key from the server by simply re-logging in.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 3:57 AM
The Designer is not an AIR application. You do not need Administrator rights to install the designer.

allright, I assumed it was since the preview was :) But upon further checking I see it's a visual C/Qt app. Cool.
Just did a quick check with our admins and it turns out that we indeed use policies. Not group, but local policies. So, there you go.

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 4:02 AM
Another suggestion: Please allow also "tab" instead of "spaces" for Indent.

Noted. In fact this setting isn't abided by yet in the code generation.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:08 AM
Further nitpicking:

There's a javascript error on the download page.. ;)

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 4:16 AM
Another problem in current version
- New Project
- Add GridPanel MyGrid
-> select first Column child in Components menu
-> set id of Column to e.g. col1
-> select MyGrid
-> set autoExpandColumn to col1

Error is shown, and GridPanel almost disappears, see attached file..

Thanks for the bug report. I'm aware of what the problem is and will fix this.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:20 AM
the export project button on the lower right of the canvas only works once a project has been saved once
This is by design.

Really? Very weird.. showing a button that does nothing at all? What's the difference between exporting a project and saving it anyway?

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 4:27 AM
Really? Very weird.. showing a button that does nothing at all? What's the difference between exporting a project and saving it anyway?

Opening and saving projects is opening and saving the .xds project files. These project files store all the meta data about your component configurations, layouts, and stores.

When you export you are actually generating JavaScript code based off of this metadata. This code generation does not happen by simply saving the project file. Code exporting is done relative to the project file and therefore we need to know "where" the .xds file is before we can export.

We will look into allowing users to click export at any time and forcing them to save the project first. That way we know where they saved the project and it is more intuitive to users.

Thanks for the feedback,

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:36 AM
We will look into allowing users to click export at any time and forcing them to save the project first. That way we know where they saved the project and it is more intuitive to users.

In my opinion it would be more logical to separate the two. Why not show a dialog on export?. For me, it is very likely that an export is going towards a very different folder then the one I'll save my project in..

aconran
23 Mar 2010, 4:39 AM
In my opinion it would be more logical to separate the two. Why not show a dialog on export?. For me, it is very likely that an export is going towards a very different folder then the one I'll save my project in..

Currently exporting is always relative to the project (.xds) file. We are open to changing this though and have thought about possibly creating a "workspace path".

To Change your export path:

Edit -> Preferences -> Export Path

This will allow you to export your generated code relative to the project.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:47 AM
Bug? Creating a new project does not clear the code class/json view.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:49 AM
Would it be possible in the future to directly edit the json or class code and see those changes reflected in the design view ?

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 4:59 AM
Bug? Create a viewport, add a panel to it. You can set the panel's region (east, south west north). Now drop a panel in this panel, you can not set the region (which is logical) Now using drag and drop in the components window, drag that last panel to a point where it has the viewport as the parent, you can still not set the region then.

Update: when this project is saved and then reopened, the panel suddenly has the 'center' region.. :-)

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 6:41 AM
Bug? There's something funky going on with 'recent items'. I've got two recent projects in there, but they are both the same (same name too). They both open the same (one) project. This 'list' is also shown at the splash loader.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 6:58 AM
Bug?

Ran into this error message after resizing the design view (dragged components part to the right)

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 7:00 AM
Is anyone reading this? Should I post somewhere else?

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 7:32 AM
Sigh.... bug? doubleclicking an .xsd file opens the designer, but then asks me what project I want to open... ( well, what do YOU think???) When the desgner is already open and you doubleclick, a new instance of the designer is opened.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 7:38 AM
Well, I 'm done for now, this is just too big a bugbag for me.

oaugustus
23 Mar 2010, 7:42 AM
Again congratulations to the ExtJS team, great job.
At first, I missed the resource use and creation of custom components. I think this is a very important issue for those who already use Ext longer. An interesting concept in this respect is the one adopted by tools like Delphi in the creation and deployment of custom components on the toolbar, it would be nice if it were adopted a similar concept in Ext Designer.

rhenkel
23 Mar 2010, 7:46 AM
I plan on adding the ability to submit a report directly from the interface.

This is something that will be straightened out very quickly (within the week). There are multiple different types of "versions" of different internal libraries we are using for the designer.

This will happen automatically via the server. Our sales accountants will be linking everyones forum accounts with the purchased licenses. Once this happens you will be able to retrieve the key from the server by simply re-logging in.

I was not a forum member when I puchased ExtDesigner but subscribed for notifications. How will I enter my license information?

Regards,
Roland

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 8:03 AM
I found also a lot of bugs in this 1.0.0 release with very simple test-cases.

Makes you wonder how this was tested in the first place. I have a strong feeling that we (paying users!) are the test panel :-?

All in all I think that at best, this release should be considered an early beta.

realjax
23 Mar 2010, 8:32 AM
No, Extjs doesn't use a (public) bugtracker. That's why a number of bugs in Extjs remain a bug across multiple versions. Sad but true.