PDA

View Full Version : There's no "Undo" capability? Seriously??

Olivercomputing2
14 Apr 2010, 1:23 PM
I've just started to take a look at Ext Designer and tried to move a container (which ended up moving a tree inside a container.) I looked for Undo - and couldn't find it.

Is there really no Undo capability?? There shouldn't be any commercial editor in 2010 that lacks Undo capability. That's a basic, critical, foundational capability.

stedav
22 Apr 2010, 1:06 AM
I've just started to take a look at Ext Designer and tried to move a container (which ended up moving a tree inside a container.) I looked for Undo - and couldn't find it.

Is there really no Undo capability?? There shouldn't be any commercial editor in 2010 that lacks Undo capability. That's a basic, critical, foundational capability.

I totally agree, for the price, tag the safety of at least a last action undo, should be provided, it incredulous to see it lacking in such necessary function, what was the logic behind the decision not to have an undo? Sadly I discovered this the hard way and lost 15 mins work in one click, so now I have to remember to save when I'm at a stage I'm happy with my progress. Additionally, is there any possible way to edit the code in code view?? I can cut n paste into my own file, but honestly whats the use of a code view if you cant do anything with it??

Kurtmel
22 Apr 2010, 6:44 AM

Agree wholeheartedly, having a supposed professional editor/development app without undo - travesty!! Being a Web Designer and E-learning developer and not a serious "Code Monkey", I was really looking forward to this app. I have to say this is DEFINATELY not ready for prime time yet.

No undo, no help docs, obviously they only care about seasoned ExtJS users who already know what they want and how to do it, just need a tool to do it faster, but it is certainly not an application I would recommend for the entry level new user. Come on guys,
you have such a professional framework and then you spit out something half-baked as this??

I guess I'll wait and hope for better in version 2.0+. Glad I didn't buy it during pre-order phase, I would have been kicking myself right now.

berlamont
23 Apr 2010, 7:38 AM
Yeah this is a pretty big thing, I can't tell you how many times I've already hit Ctrl+Z when I'm working in the editor, it can tend to drive one nuts.

Kurtmel
23 Apr 2010, 8:15 AM
Yeah this is a pretty big thing, I can't tell you how many times I've already hit Ctrl+Z when I'm working in the editor, it can tend to drive one nuts.

Yep it is. Guess I should have read "known Designer issues" first, but based on the known "issues" it would seem to be a pretty foolish decision to release this app into the "wild" in this condition. At least label this as a "Release Candidate" so users know what they're getting into before forking over their hard earned cash for something that may or may NOT be of value to them in its present state.

I certainly hope for good things with this app, but relying on forum threads instead of a legitimate help and tutorial capability built into the product certainly does not speak well for their opinion of new users.

This is not to say ExtJS does not have an awesome user community, it does, but often a new user, even as a "lurker", is not going to get what they need from rummaging around forum posts endlessly. This app should be a means for novice users to get more quickly up to speed with using ExtJS, as well as a productivity tool for seasoned users - Both of which will help to foster continued interest and usage of the product. it shouldn't be either/OR.

mmullany
23 Apr 2010, 2:06 PM
Kurt. You're absolutely right, we know we can do a better job at providing people with self-serve tutorials and learning guides to get people up to speed quicker on Ext. And help docs for Designer are on their way, we have a tech writer working on it right now.

jarrednicholls
23 Apr 2010, 6:52 PM
Undo/Redo is next up. With the help docs and this one major feature, hopefully it won't be considered "half-baked" anymore (lol). It does what it's advertised to do in my opinion, and there is a new release almost every week with bug fixes and new features. Once you start wrapping your head around it, it does speed your rapid prototyping and "scaffolding" up quite a bit.

berlamont
24 Apr 2010, 3:11 PM
I should have read further about the designer before complaining about a feature that was already noted as not available, but I was just excited to get my hands on this thing, and just bought it as soon as I could.
Just the fact that you guys keep updating and are already planning on adding an undo/redo, while also actually listening to users, makes this prog well worth the price. I very much look forward to the next couple months :)